UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't particularly like Jones, with all of his God squad shite.

Disappointed to hear that, from the various highlight reels, free YouTube fights and DVDs I have been watching over the last few months, Jones has become a favourite of mine. One of the first fights I saw was him versus (I think) Machida where he choked him out at the end but at the time I didn

I don't particularly like Jones, with all of his God squad shite.

Disappointed to hear that, from the various highlight reels, free YouTube fights and DVDs I have been watching over the last few months, Jones has become a favourite of mine. One of the first fights I saw was him versus (I think) Machida where he choked him out at the end but at the time I didn

• Paid Members

I was starting to dislike Jones but I don't think he's been as bad for the bible bashing lately. At least from what I've seen. There is something really smug about him but I suppose when you're as good as he is you can get away with that. I don't think I'd want to be stuck in a conversation with him but he's come across a fair bit less grating personality-wise to me in the last year or so.

Bifkin, didn't you say you were becoming a bit of a fan of Aldo before? If so you'll probably like his team mate Renan Barao in the co-main event. Similar style to Aldo but he's a bit more reckless and uses his BJJ more. Hasn't lost in about 30 fights as well.

If you like fighters who will throw in some whacky creative stuff, Stephen Thompson, John Makdessi and Alex Caceres on the undercard should be worth checking out. And Healy-Khabib and Menjivar-Reis are probably my picks to most likely bag FOTN.

It's a decent card. Not as stacked as the ones coming up to close the year but sometimes it's the shows that don't look as loaded that turn out to be the ones that really deliver.

• Paid Members

I love/hate Jones' natural smugness and hubris. It makes it easy to get into his fights, as your hoping somebody will smack him around for five rounds. It never happens, which is infuriating; he caps it off with doing his nice guy routine post-fight. He's brilliant and I hate him.

I agree that he seems less grating in the past year, but I think that is mostly down to him being so good that you can't help but respect him. Still a knob, though.

The next few months of UFC PPVs are going to be good fun, if all goes well.

• Paid Members
I agree that he seems less grating in the past year, but I think that is mostly down to him being so good that you can't help but respect him. Still a knob, though.

Yeah, there's probably some of that but even back when Jones was smashing Shogun and Rampage, I think people always were kind of in awe of his skills. I think he just came across different back then. Especially throughout the whole beef with Rashad. He seemed like he was kind of forcing his personality a bit. In fairness, he was still getting used to the spotlight being on him and it's easy to forget he was so young when he won the title. It all happened really fast for him. He went from teaching himself MMA techniques off YouTube videos, to debuting in MMA in 2008, then just a few months after his first fight he was in the UFC, a couple of years later he was the champion. He went from nowhere to being thrust into the top of the sport in the space of about three years total.

I think somewhere along the line he just got more comfortable with being in that position. Maybe it was the whole UFC 151 debacle where everyone blamed him for a bit before all the details came out. Fans turned on him, fighters were giving him earache for their fights getting cancelled and Dana threw him under the bus in the media. After that, strangely he just seemed to come off as a lot more calm and at ease. Ever since then he's been a lot less annoying IMO.

I still want to see someone put him in some bother though. Sadly I think we won't see that until he goes to heavyweight.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, he's definitely a bit in love with himself. Dana has called him a diva a few times, almost half joking but you kind of get the sense that he's having a dig as well. Then there's Gustafsson, who never engages in trash talk or really has anything negative to say about anyone, doesn't like Jones. And something about Jones' personality rubbed him wrong when they were on tour doing the media stuff. "I'm not a fan if I say so".

Whatever is said about JDS vs Cain and GSP vs Hendricks, the both intrigue me more than the title fights on this card. 135lbs is the weightclass I probably care least about in MMA along with Flyweight, and Wineland is a unworthy challenger. A split verdict win over Brad Pickett, and a win over the good but not great Scott Jorgenson, after coming off two clear losses, does not exactly warm me with anticipation. Barao should polish him off in the middle rounds.

Jones vs Gusty I am only interested in to see Jones showcased. Jones despite the needless bible bumming, has grown on me lately and I admire natural talent greatly. He is the first off the NBA/NFL style athletes to hit the big time in MMA, due to his youth and incredible upside. Gusty for me will last as long as Jones allows him, I really see no problem for Jones barring something really unexpected.

I see the two title fights as formalities, but as the cliche says anything can happen.

Archived