UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the way Khabib comes in you'd expect a good striker (especially off the back foot) would pick him off all day...once the dude gets his hands on people though you aint getting the fucker off. It'd be an interesting fight.

I expect me and you will end up slugging out on here if it happens ;) Khabib looked more than impressive on Saturday night and underlined himself as a top 155er for sure, probably the best prospect in the weightclass. And one of the few I would be worried about Pettis fighting.

Gusty vs Jones was so engaging, its rare I really study and pat attention to every bit of movement/action, but I did for 5 whole rounds on Saturday night. Shogun/Hendo was more of a "war" but Gusty vs Jones was more relevant in terms of what was on the line, and had more technique involved in it to compliment the tremendous heart shown by both fighters.

If someone said "best fight ever" I may not agree, but I would not dismiss either.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Oh yeah, I couldn't disagree with someone saying it's the best fight. For one it's all down to personal opinion so there is no right and wrong. And it was a terrific fight worthy of that kind of recognition.

I think I just put Hendo vs Shogun on that pedestal because it was two of my all time favourite fighters in one of the craziest, brutal-est, exciting-est wars I've ever seen. I like Jones and Gusty a lot but I was more invested in Hendo-Shogun just because they were two of the guys who made me a fan in the first place. That and the fight had that anticipation from being years in the making and when it did finally happen, it more than lived up to expectations.

Chuck vs Wandy is another like this. I wish that had been a 5 rounder.

It's also why I'm torn between Jones-Gusty and Wandy-Stann as my FOTY (so far anyway). On pure fight quality, I'd have Jones-Gusty ahead. But Wandy-Stann was some moment. Especially it being in Japan and the way it played out. That's hard to top to me.

It's been an awesome year and we've still got a quarter of it left.

• Paid Members

Jones-Gustaffson was so good because i dont think anyone expected it to play out like it did. I wasnt that interested going in, but it just blew my mind watching, it was probably the most engaging fight ive ever watched.

I mentioned previously, on repeated viewings it may not hold up, and people knowing the result may wonder what the fuss is, but watching it first time around it was fucking brilliant.

It's also why I'm torn between Jones-Gusty and Wandy-Stann as my FOTY (so far anyway). On pure fight quality, I'd have Jones-Gusty ahead. But Wandy-Stann was some moment. Especially it being in Japan and the way it played out. That's hard to top to me.

I will go Jones/Gusty, but not by much. Wanderlai vs Stann was a thrill ride.

I get EBB's point about re-watching, luckily a rarely watch fights more than once so my "in the moment" impression will remain.

• Paid Members

Re: Ebb's second paragraph there

True. Similar to Edgar vs Maynard 2 in that way. You go in expecting a certain kind of fight and you come out of it blown away. Those types of fights are some of the very best because it's such a pleasant surprise.

It's understandably hardly been touched on but what about Barao? I know he was always expected to beat Wineland but he did it with such style. It's almost a shame his performance was followed by an epic main event because it meant everyone pretty much forgot his KO.

Barao is fucking quality. When you look at a guy like Michael McDonald, a young killer who's wrecking everyone, and Barao takes his best stuff and finishes him. Then you look at how fantastic Urijah Faber is looking of late, then you look at how Barao just shut his game down completely. You see how he breezed through Brad Pickett. Then the Tekken finish on Saturday night. He really is an awesome fighter.

Not to mention the 8 year unbeaten streak he's on. I think I posted this before but fuck it, Ben Fowlkes on Barao's streak;

Here's something to help us put Renan Barao's winning streak in perspective: The last time he lost a fight, "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani was a hit song.

It's been a while.

• Paid Members

yeh Barao is awesome. I'll be honest ive never really got on board like i should have and i dont really know why?

But when you look at the division though, the guys wrecked all the top contenders and you have to feel Cruz aint gonna have much luck when he comes back to face Barao.

Archived