UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Great fucking point. I never really looked at it like that. It's true, the LHW landscape really hasn't changed a great deal in the last 8-10 years and there hasn't been a great deal in the way of new blood in the division. I guess that's partly why Jones' breakthrough has stood out even more, and that the guys he's been beating are so established. Still, although they've been around a long time, the guys he's beat on his climb to the title, and especially during his reign as champion, were still all dangerous and skilled fighters. And he's handled them in such a way it doesn't even seem like a fair fight.

With what he's already accomplished at 205, and the possibilities of what he could accomplish at heavyweight, he really might go down as the GOAT. He's got time to do so much more on top of an already ridiculous win streak. Although he hasn't even fought at the weight yet, I'd feel quite confident picking him to beat most of the heavyweight division. Fights with Cain and JDS could be tremendous over the next few years.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still, although they've been around a long time, the guys he's beat on his climb to the title, and especially during his reign as champion, were still all dangerous and skilled fighters. And he's handled them in such a way it doesn't even seem like a fair fight.

Agreed, Jones is a huge exception as I will explain.

Jones enjoys a size advantage, but for me he is conclusive proof athletes who chose to join the NBA or NFL could excel in the heavier classes of boxing and MMA. Its a different quality of athlete that populates these leagues. Jones is the first athlete of that sort of mold/build to really try MMA at a young age and show full commitment.

Smaller guys are more common in general, which is one of the reasons why the lighter weight-classes have more natural athletes as there is more of them about to give MMA a bash. All the biggish athletes as rare as they are (remember Brian Pillman was considered too small for the NFL) usually chose basketball and football to pursue. MMA accommodates the smaller man more.

Brazil will always be there to give all talent classes a injection of talent, but bigger men in America are hard to come by for MMA. With the wrestling program on the wane due to the Olympic problem, it could get worse. People say that smaller men are just generally better athletes, but I do not think that is true to a massive degree, look at NFL/NBA players who show strength, skill and cardio in spades.

The reason why Heavyweight MMA has such a glass ceiling between Cain, JDS and maybe 5 others, with the rest being shite is down to several factors, one of which is the NBA/NFL problem that is the reason why Heavyweight boxing in America has been on its arse for years. Light Heavyweight, mainly thanks to Brazil and Rashad Evans is a bit better thankfully, they best just hope someone comes along after Jones as the main players are getting older.

• Paid Members

yeh it's a valid point, 205lb hasn't changed that much over the years, same at heavyweight too. I guess that's what does make the 165 headliner feel quite fresh, it's the first time Jones has defended against a guy you could consider a new breed fighter, but it's a rare thing in the weight class.

A few weeks back i was talking about how a certain percentage of MMA fans are stuck in the past and still consider a certain group of fighters as 'big names', the majority of them names are at 205lb and it's definitely down to the fact that the division's top guys haven't changed over the past few years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Jones on the comparisons between him and Gustafsson;

"I don't really agree with any of the comparisons. I think the only thing me and Gustafsson have in common is that we're both 26 years old and the fact that we're both over 6-foot-4 tall. Outside of that, we are completely different fighters. I've been able to study him a lot over the last several months, and I realized there's absolutely nothing he does that's like me. We're just completely different. We have the same height and age, and that's absolutely it.

If you watch my fights and you watch Alexander's fights, he gets hit a lot with a lot of different punches. With me, I've gone through some fighters where fighters don't touch me once. They're all major challenges for me, but at the same time, it's just an honest assessment of where they match up with me. I'm fighting against the best guys in the world and a lot of them never even get a chance to punch me in the face throughout the fight.

I know myself and my style, and I really figure out my opponent. I believe I've figured him out".

And better late than never, Gusty finally has spoken;

On his chances;

"I take inspiration from what Chris Weidman did against Anderson. This could be the year when a lot of title belts change hands. This is a totally different fight, of course, but Weidman proved that nobody is invincible. Hendricks versus GSP is also a good fight that could end with a new champion too."

Thoughts on Jones;

"He's a little brat in an adult's body. Jones is a very immature boy in a grown man's body.

It is not always that a person is himself in front of the cameras, and that's Jones. If you're with him for a week, as I did at UFC World Press Tour... you see the way he behaves. He is a real bully.

It's like you spoil a kid. You just say yes, yes, everything that a kid ask for. Since there are no limits. It is all haywire. No, his behavior then... No, I'm not a fan of it if I say so.

We would do an interview together in England. Me and Andrew (Michael) had to sit and wait for Jones was delayed. When he comes in 45 minutes late, he asks not even apologize. Neither me or to those who would do the interview.

I am a professional and have great respect for Jones as a fighter. There are not many who can do what he has done and he deserves all the respect. But as a person, as a role model, I'm really not a fan."

Jon-Jones-Alexander-Gustafsson-UFC-Faceoff.jpg

"No, his behavior then... No, I'm not a fan of it if I say so."

Interesting. Gustafsson isn't usually the type to slag someone off either so maybe Jones was being a bit of a cock on the press tour.

I'd be very surprised if the big Swede is able to pull this off, but imagine if he does, and then Hendricks beats GSP? Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and GSP losing their titles in the same year? Even nuttier if Weidman goes 2-0 over Anderson in December.

Gusty also said that his reach is actually 81.2in, not the 76.5 that's listed in various places online. Jones' reach is 84.5.

• Paid Members

I hope you're right. Although I'm rooting for Jones, I hope Gusty gives him a tough fight. Maybe he will. The size/reach thing will be something new for both of them to deal with. I just think Jones has more strings to his bow, more options. But Gusty's a heavy hitter. You never know.

It's a shame the time difference in Europe fucks things up PPV-wise because imagine this fight in Sweden. I bet the crowd would be absolutely white hot. Whereas the Canadians really have no emotional investment in this fight. The Canadian crowds are usually lively regardless but Sweden would have been wild.

• Paid Members

I need my eyes checking. Didn't even notice your location was Spain now Dave. When did that happen, is that a permanent move?

This is days away now then. Glover Teixeira is now saying he'll be there and is hoping to get in the cage to challenge the winner of the main event.

There was talk recently that Dana was considering having Daniel Cormier be the next challenger at 205 (if he beats Nelson next month). I saw people moaning about that online, saying Glover was getting screwed out of the shot. But to be fair, Glover didn't seem too keen on the title shot after he beat Bader. He was on about taking another fight first. So he's obviously changed his mind, he seems up for the shot now. As long as he shows Dana and Joe Silva he wants the title shot, I think he'll get it. Dana loves him because he's Chuck's protege, and he's on a streak at 205. Makes more sense than Cormier right now.

Glover's on about fighting the Jones/Gusty winner around Feb time.

• Paid Members

I'd like to see Cormier fight at least once at 205 as well before getting a title shot. I'm not sure a tune up, mid tier opponent would be wise though. If they're going to risk him losing they might as well throw him in with a rising contender like a Mousasi or Little Nog. That way even if he has a bad cut and loses, you can build the other guy off that. If they matched him with say, Perosh or Some Fucker, and he somehow lost (not that I think he would but you never know with the weight cut) they're left with nothing. Even if he beat them, giving him a title shot off beating Perosh or Fucker would look weak.

I'd say, throw him at Phil Davis. That's a fight he should win. He's basically a bigger, more decorated and more powerful version of Davis. Providing he cuts the weight right, it's a good style match up. And Davis is a credible opponent on good form. If Cormier came out and sparked him in his 205 debut, I don't think many would argue with him getting a crack at the belt in an almost cleaned out division.

205 is so limited with title challenges I am all for protecting a fighter, against a Perosh, Cormier could be showcased and get used to his weight cut. I agree it may appear weak, but at this stage I think protection is vital. If Cormier looks like crap against say a Perosh, it could be due to the weight cut, not skills or ability. On a second try he may be more use to the weight cut, and perform better.

Say that happens and you have him fight Davis, there is more a chance that Davis will beat him, a Perosh will probably lose if he is off-form. I think its unfair and counter-productive to not give Cormier a tune up, given the lack of challengers to Jones and the resume Cormier has achieved in the weight class above.

Love the new sig by the way.

Archived