UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Seems like everyone is pretty much unanimous on the rounds. 1 & 3 for Gusty, 4 & 5 for Jones, with the 2nd deciding it. And that 2nd was tight. I'll have to rewatch it. I did feel like Jones landed the more damaging shots that round but either way it's not something to get hung up on. It wasn't a robbery, nor would it have been if Gusty won. It was just that close.

I'm on board for the rematch. I can't see Glover testing Jones like he was tested last night and maybe getting another fight in would benefit Glover anyway. He didn't sound like he even thought he was ready after he beat Bader. Maybe do Glover vs Phil Davis. Or Hendo if he beats Belfort.

Whatever they do, Gustafsson has proven he's a legit top 205er. It's fair to say he'd get a lot more votes in the poll next time if they do book the rematch.

• Paid Members
Seems like everyone is pretty much unanimous on the rounds. 1 & 3 for Gusty, 4 & 5 for Jones, with the 2nd deciding it. And that 2nd was tight. I'll have to rewatch it. I did feel like Jones landed the more damaging shots that round but either way it's not something to get hung up on. It wasn't a robbery, nor would it have been if Gusty won. It was just that close.

I'm on board for the rematch. I can't see Glover testing Jones like he was tested last night and maybe getting another fight in would benefit Glover anyway. He didn't sound like he even thought he was ready after he beat Bader. Maybe do Glover vs Phil Davis. Or Hendo if he beats Belfort.

Whatever they do, Gustafsson has proven he's a legit top 205er. It's fair to say he'd get a lot more votes in the poll next time if they do book the rematch.

The thing is, if you rewatch that final round you could even make a case for AG taking it. Yes Jones finished the round stronger but Gusty landed some heavy shots earlier in the round.

A rematch has to happen as personally I thought it was actually more a draw from a full on fight perspective.

• Paid Members

I meant to mention this before, did anyone else find it annoying when Rogan tried to imply the fight going how it did was because of Jones toe injury? Something like;

Rogan: Who knows if Jones has recovered fully from that toe injury. His foot might not be 100%.

Goldberg: Well, he's still throwing lots of kicks, Joe.

Rogan: Yeah, but...

Fuck off. Even Goldberg wasn't buying that. It's so obvious when Rogan wants one guy to win. I'm dreading his cheerleading for Cain vs JDS 3. If JDS wins, you can bet Rogan will try to pin it on Cain not being 100% ever since that dodgy burrito he ate on Cinco de Mayo.

Great card of fights. The main event was fantastic,it could of gone either way but ive got no complaints with jones winning.

Jones,silva and gsp for a while looked unbeatable now the rest seem to be catching up with them.we nearly had 2 out of the 3 losing. Looking forward to gsp in november now.

I meant to mention this before, did anyone else find it annoying when Rogan tried to imply the fight going how it did was because of Jones toe injury? Something like;

Rogan: Who knows if Jones has recovered fully from that toe injury. His foot might not be 100%.

Fuck off. Even Goldberg wasn't buying that. It's so obvious when Rogan wants one guy to win. I'm dreading his cheerleading for Cain vs JDS 3. If JDS wins, you can bet Rogan will try to pin it on Cain not being 100% ever since that dodgy burrito he ate on Cinco de Mayo.

That really irked me too, and he continued on that tangent for a while with the "we never know if fighters are truly 100%" spiel. I usually like Rogan, but that got under my skin. Jones was just dealing with a fighter that could give him a fight, there was nothing in his actions that suggested he wasn't himself. Although he certainly looked a bit bewildered when Gustaffson started tagging him. Ah, remember the days when Machida landing one solid punch on him was a big deal?

I think Jones chose the wrong time to debut his "Not Quite Human" shirt. That's as human as he's ever looked, he took a while to adjust, and as corny as he sounded talking about his "warrior spirit", he definitely showed it in the fight.

Awesome main event. I had it even going into the 5th round and gave the last to Jones. I was really hoping Gustafsson was going to win the decision though. I didn't give him much hope going into the fight but he looked great. I couldn't believe how well he was stuffing the takedowns. I'd love to see a rematch.

I was also thinking to myself 'shut the fuck up' when Rogan said that shit about Jones' toe. He's been annoying me a lot more than usual the last couple of months.

It annoyed me too at the time but in fairness to Rogan, Jones has said he hurt his foot (same one as dodgy toe) pretty badly early in the fight. So there was some element of truth in it.

• Paid Members

I have to admit Wand, I think you're fishing for something that's not there. Don't get me wrong Rogan pisses me off quite a lot too, but there was nothing wrong with what he said in this instance. The fact is Jones had an horrendous mangled big toe after the Sonnen fight. It made me feel Ill in fact. An injury like that is far more worse than it looks and Rogan had every right to throw that comment out there. The simple fact is that injury could have had an impact of Jones' performance. Rogan wasn't saying that it was definitely hampering him, but the possibility was there.

Whilst I know the injury is completely different, I'm sure when Cruz finally meets Barao, Rogan will do the same and question the impact the injury had on Cruz. Then there was GSP vs Condit, the same applied then.

I think Gusty has a boxing advantage over Jones, but Jones is the more well rounded striker and probably a bit better conditioned. I think a rematch is warranted, I think Gusty offers more to Jones than Glover does, with much more refined striking and physical attributes which helped him last night.

Goldberg trotting out "so you want to be a Ultimate Fighter" cliche in the final round was cringe-worthy. Rogan is just Rogan, I tend not to listen enough these days to get annoyed.

• Paid Members

That may have been my favorite MMA fight of all time, if Gustaffson had taken the decision i think it would definitely be no.1 but it's up there. There's probably been better fights overall, but going in I had little expectation of it actually being competitive, so to see it Gustaffson just overcome little things that none of the great fighters Jones has fought before failed to do was just incredible. When Gustaffson took Jones down in round 1 i think my cat nearly died of a heart attack how loud i shouted. Just an incredible battle that no one was expecting. Finally Jones was in an actual 'fight', he proved he's got more bottle than some people gave him credit for and we all found out he is human after all.

Score-wise, it's hard to say as I was trying to not let the Gustaffson-cheerleading commentary sway me, but i scored it 48-47 Jones. Same as everyone else, i gave Gustaffson 1 & 3, and Jones 4 & 5. 2 was the swayer and on initial viewing i gave it to Jones. I had Gustaffson winning round 4 until he got hit with that spinning elbow though, that changed the fight.

I can't even be arsed to talk about the rest of the card :D

oh, i am glad that Schaub didn't get the Submission of the Night comment based purely off his little dig at Metatoris fans to his cornermen after the fight...he is a dick!

• Paid Members
I have to admit Wand, I think you're fishing for something that's not there. Don't get me wrong Rogan pisses me off quite a lot too, but there was nothing wrong with what he said in this instance.

I'm not fishing for anything. Why would I look for a reason to knock Rogan? He's been shit enough for long enough recently that there'd be no fishing necessary. It's not like he's someone I even dislike like a Frank Mir or Brendan Schaub. Maybe I'd have a bit of an agenda there ;) but not with Rogan. I don't dislike him I just think his commentating is getting a bit shit. He wasn't as bad last night as he has been recently, but I thought the toe injury stuff was him trying to make excuses for why Jones was struggling. Maybe he didn't mean it that way but when a commentator cheerleads as much as Rogan does, it's hard not to see it that way in most of his work.

The fact is Jones had an horrendous mangled big toe after the Sonnen fight. It made me feel Ill in fact. An injury like that is far more worse than it looks and Rogan had every right to throw that comment out there. The simple fact is that injury could have had an impact of Jones' performance. Rogan wasn't saying that it was definitely hampering him, but the possibility was there.

He had every right of course, he can say what he wants. There was nothing wrong with bringing the injury up, I'd have been surprised if they didn't given how gruesome it was and it being his last fight. It's how and when Rogan chose to highlight it which made me think he was excuse making. I'd have to rewatch but I'm sure he piped in with that fairly late in the fight when it was clear Gusty doing much better than anyone expected. He chose then to bring it up despite Jones, as Goldberg rightly said, repeatedly throwing kicks and showing no signs of the toe injury. He was moving fine, kicking etc so what other reason would there be to bring it up at that point other than to imply that he was struggling because of that.

Whilst I know the injury is completely different, I'm sure when Cruz finally meets Barao, Rogan will do the same and question the impact the injury had on Cruz. Then there was GSP vs Condit, the same applied then.

The difference is though, GSP was coming off a huge layoff when he fought Condit. Cruz, if he ever returns, will be coming off an even bigger layoff. The issue of ring rust and the long term effects of the injuries and the layoffs were/are huge parts of the story. Jones injury was horrible but it can't have been quite as bad as it looked if he was cleared and able to return to the cage within 6 months. That isn't that long between fights even if you're in tip top condition. So it wasn't like he was coming off some likely career altering injury/layoff like GSP and Cruz.

MOM - yeah I was just reading about the injury. It's a new injury isn't it? It's not the toe this time, it actually sounds worse to me if Mike Winkeljohn's "shattered foot" diagnosis is correct. Still, Rogan didn't know about that injury when he started spouting off and Jones was showing no signs of it in the fight (in fact, he seemed to throw more kicks than ever). So that wasn't why Rogan was saying it.

Ah whatever. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme.

1231627_534263456653465_1449401384_n.jpg

Archived