The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• Moderators

A mate of mine had the Weston's Cider man tattooed on him!

Anyone here done much brewing? I'm thinking of getting into it, doing my first batch for christmas (So my Secret Santa recipient will get some). Any beginner tips? What should I make? What's easiest for a starter?

• Paid Members

Ale head is the least of my worries. I get really bad Ale arse after a session on it, it's got better over the years but I never do more than 2 days on it in a row these days.

It's our local beer festival this weekend, I'll miss Saturday as I'm at a wedding but will do Sunday then pop in on Monday to get have price leftovers.

In London I've taken to drinking in the Euston Tap and the Cider Tap when I'm down there and it's become my favourite pub(s) away from home, anyone drink there?

• Paid Members
Anyone here done much brewing? I'm thinking of getting into it, doing my first batch for christmas (So my Secret Santa recipient will get some). Any beginner tips? What should I make? What's easiest for a starter?

I did loads of wine last year which went down well and was intending to get some beer done this year, never got round to it yet though.

• Paid Members
In London I've taken to drinking in the Euston Tap and the Cider Tap when I'm down there and it's become my favourite pub(s) away from home, anyone drink there?

Check out the Dolric Arch, which is literally across the way from the Euston Tap. Regularly gets in guest ales, and is honestly one of my favourite pubs in London. Also, if you're around North London, keep an eye out for Redemption Hopspur, which is a really nice amber ale. I'm usually a fan of wheat beers and pale ales, though.

moan about Hobgoblin being for part timers,

Accurate statement maybe: I'm the biggest part timer going and I love Hobgoblin. I've had a bit of a resurgence in Hobgoblin consumption just this week, as a matter of fact. It's only sold in Tesco round here, so I don't often get chance to purchase it for a casual drink (Tesco is a 25 / 30 minute walk from home), but when I do get the chance I love to enjoy a bottle or two. Goliath is another one from the Wychwood brewery which I quite like.

hobgobbers_zpsbbd96e1d.png

Freebird & Freebird Jr. stopping for a pint in Bourton on the Water, recently

I did have a terrible pint of Hobgoblin in Oxford a couple of years ago though, in a boozer that may (or may not) have actually been called

• Paid Members

Surely this can't be the UKFF's first beer thread? That's a scandal if it is.

I was bought a home brewing kit for Christmas after making noises about wanting to get into it for ages. I've failed to pull my finger out since then so the kit is just sat in the spare room looking sorry for itself. I think this thread has inspired me to have a crack at it this weekend.

I do love a pint of real ale, but certainly can't drink it in large amounts. If I'm on a night out I need to stick to a light lager.

On the subject of beer festivals, has anybody here been to the grandaddy of them all? I've done Oktoberfest twice and each time it was the best weekend away I've ever done. No ales though, it's lager all the way over there.

• Moderators
I quite like Carling me.

Suspended.

Although there are some really nice microbrewery lagers out there. Wrexham Lager was brought back into circulation a couple of years ago and is a wonderful drop, although it gives killer headaches.

A mate of mine had the Weston's Cider man tattooed on him!

Moving into a new house next weekend with a big outhouse and my first thought was, perfect for a home brew set up this... I would also welcome any advice on how to go about it. I haven't the foggiest.

• Paid Members

No Arch, we've had one in the past. I distinctly remember heading down to the offie two minutes from my flat to buy a bottle of Wychcraft off a recommendation in the previous thread.

I had one called Summer Lightning in Wetherspoons in Wrexham town centre in about 2004. It was absolutely fucking perfect.

Sounds like you lucked out a bit there. I've rarely known a Wetherspoons look after their beer. I've lost count of the number of 'spoons I've been in (seldom by choice these days) where the presence of a particular beer or beer from a good brewery has tempted me, only to get a pint that's either watery or faintly vinegary. Seems completely pot luck, even though there is an occasional rewarding pint. In particular the quality always used to vary wildly at Yr Hen Orsaf in Aberystwyth, where I spent a good portion of five years holed up when I should have been writing essays. I'd been so sheltered that when my fellow students were buzzing that "they're opening a Wetherspoons" I had to ask what that was.

Is it my imagination or are IPAs really temperamental/hard to keep? I've had a few over the years and sometimes it's glorious, sometimes horrid, to the point I seldom take the chance any more.

One of my favourite beers is Exmoor Beast, although it's more of a winter beer, obviously. The first time I drank it I thought "chocolate, raisin, nutty, chocolate again." In the warmer months my favourites are, sorry Butch, mass-bottled and readily available - Badger's range - Long Days, Golden Champion and especially the peachy sweetness of Golden Glory - and I'm very partial to Harviestoun's Bitter & Twisted.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Check out the Dolric Arch, which is literally across the way from the Euston Tap. Regularly gets in guest ales, and is honestly one of my favourite pubs in London. Also, if you're around North London, keep an eye out for Redemption Hopspur, which is a really nice amber ale. I'm usually a fan of wheat beers and pale ales, though.

I've walked past the Dorich arch loads of times but never ventured inside, will do next week.

• Paid Members

No it certainly isn't, I remember the last one, probably started by the same OP.

Are you going to Oktoberfest over here? I'm going to the Edinburgh one.