Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

They're a tag team so creative have no ideas. We've seen what happened to The Revival, American Alpha etc. If they can't be arsed with those teams then Sanity don't have a chance.

Yeah I'd completely forgotten Authors of Pain had debuted on Raw to be honest.

I'm guessing they're Main Event fodder currently?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Yeah I'd completely forgotten Authors of Pain had debuted on Raw to be honest.

I'm guessing they're Main Event fodder currently?

Not seen anything of them in weeks.

Sanity has to go against the dead horse that is Matt & Bray. 

Samoa Joe is the best thing on either brand right now and thankfully hasn't been repackaged or altered at all since NXT. He's a ramped up version of himself and as we've seen time and again this is what works best. Shame to not see the Joe-Bryan one on one but one for the future there. 

• Awards Moderator

Plenty of discussion this week then. Wow, WWE are doing their best to sap any interest in any feuds here. I'm screaming with frustration at the Last Man Standing match after the last match ended with neither man rising to the count. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. 

The only point of note, is Becky Lynch getting a push? 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

The only point of note, is Becky Lynch getting a push? 

No chance. That result was typical lazy "out of nowhere" to remind us things are unpredictable but goes nowhere for the victor. Go home for the PPV, it's as sure as shit that Becky's going nowhere as much as the ending to Raw was a giveaway that Balor isn't winning the briefcase.

• Paid Members

Huh. Still too obvious "hey look at this" before they do something far less fun when it matters and go "haha, made you look." I'll be shocked if Becky gets a PPV title shot this side of Christmas, much less win the belt.

• Paid Members

"Hey guys, we've got this great little 90 second babyface promo from Daniel Bryan, one of those things we used to do where he actually shows a bit of fire and sells you on seeing a match, shall we air it on television?"

"Fuck no. Put it on the internet."

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

"Hey guys, we've got this great little 90 second babyface promo from Daniel Bryan, one of those things we used to do where he actually shows a bit of fire and sells you on seeing a match, shall we air it on television?"

"Fuck no. Put it on the internet."

I completely agree with this sentiment - and fuck me, that is an outstanding little promo - but will as many or more people see it this way? It's scary how often their content on the internet or on those after shows where the freedom is greater is so much better than the stuff they do on TV. I can't recall the last good promo on TV. But this and the Miz/Bryan stuff from Talking Smack comes instantly to mind.

• Paid Members

I agree 100% this is the way to go for small bites of effective content. Put it on TV and the lapsed/half arsed fans who aren't watching the TV won't see it. Put stuff on the Internet where we do, and you might spark interest and get a few people watching again to see where it goes.

• Paid Members

It’s an interesting idea. I just checked and this week’s Smackdown pulled in 2.1 million viewers. That Daniel Bryan promo, despite getting some buzz today and yesterday, has only got around 100,000 views so far. Interestingly though, that incredible Bryan/Miz promo ended getting 2.5 million views since they posted it online last year, so maybe there’s something to it.

I dunno. I just feel like at a time when TV has never been more important, and some mugs are literally paying you a BILLION DOLLARS for TV content, you’d want to provide them with your best stuff, surely? That’s the crux, here. I honestly don’t think they even recognise what their best stuff is anymore. Almost without exception, it’s usually stuff that ends up on these supplemental outputs. 

The best character work of the past 12 months has been in tiny online-only interviews like this with Daniel Bryan, or on unscripted post-PPV shows where guys like the Usos can just be themselves and try and make each other laugh, or on Twitter where guys like Kevin Owens prove to have ten times the character they have on TV, or on Podcasts where guys like Trent Seven and Pete Dunne prove to be genuinely funny guys that you’d love to have a pint with.

And then all of their best video packages are on Network specials, where guys come across like larger than life characters with interesting, intriguing backstories. The complete opposite of what you see on Monday and Tuesday nights.

Imagine if they took all that great character work, combined it with all of their best video productions, then sprinkled on top the staggering amount of in-ring talent they have at their disposal. Their shows would (and frankly, should) be absolute dynamite. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I agree 100% this is the way to go for small bites of effective content. Put it on TV and the lapsed/half arsed fans who aren't watching the TV won't see it. Put stuff on the Internet where we do, and you might spark interest and get a few people watching again to see where it goes.

All their key telly stuff ends up on YouTube anyway, so in terms of people seeing it, they're much better off sticking it on the telly as well to get it out there. But, aye, chances are we wouldn't be getting that on air anyway because Vince is mental.

9 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I dunno. I just feel like at a time when TV has never been more important, and some mugs are literally paying you a BILLION DOLLARS for TV content, you’d want to provide them with your best stuff, surely? That’s the crux, here. I honestly don’t think they even recognise what their best stuff is anymore. Almost without exception, it’s usually stuff that ends up on these supplemental outputs. 

You wonder what constructive feedback Vince is getting, if any, these days. Business is absolutely booming right now, despite of that not really being the case.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

You wonder what constructive feedback Vince is getting, if any, these days. Business is absolutely booming right now, despite of that not really being the case.

Id love to imagine I'd be an asset to them but I reckon that if he paid me $150k plus benefits to write nonsense that must take 5 minutes, I'd just nod and smile too!

• Paid Members

I think I've typed this several times, but I remember late comedian and bit of an A-type arsehole Patrice O'Neal saying he's only ever felt his alpha personality shrink twice in his life, one being with Vince McMahon when he was a writer for a brief period. Apparently Vince was pretty cool with him, but the fear he commands is undeniable.

I'd definitely end up cleaning his personal toilet by the end of my first hour there.

Archived