The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

These are the top-rated cable shows last night. The four-digit numbers are the number of thousands of viewers, and the rating is the 18-49 rating, not the total. For some reason, this website has called Raw "WWE Entertainment" and fucked up the times of the show.

COMEDY CENTRAL ROAST CMDY 8:00 PM 4399 2.6
WWE Entertainment USA 10:00 PM 5597 2.0
WWE Entertainment USA 11:00 PM 5227 1.8
WWE Entertainment USA 11:30 PM 5267 1.8
Love and Hip Hop 5 VH1 9:00 PM 2130 1.2
BETTER CALL SAUL AMC 9:00 PM 2381 1.1
Family Guy ADSM 10:30 PM 2233 1.1
Family Guy ADSM 10:00 PM 2237 1.1
BLACK INK CREW 3 VH1 12:02 AM 1815 1.0

The roastee was Justin Bieber.

Why can't the story be that's it's two guys wanting to have a great match?

Because it's supposed to be a fucking fight. I know it's panto and blah-blah-bollocks but that's still the essence of the thing. Good matches exist amongst fans, not wrestlers. That'd be like Ian walking up to Phil Mitchell in the Vic and asking him if he wants to put on a good scene.

There was no sense during that IC Title match that Dolph Ziggler was trying to beat Daniel Bryan for the title. They didn't tell a story. they just did a bit of chain wrestling, hit their finishers and then that god awful finish.

I don't think either guy is a terrible worker, I just think they're horrible influences on each other.

That's why it takes a John Cena, Triple H or Roman Reigns to bring out the best in Daniel Bryan. For a great match, you need to care about the result, not just how many workrates it scores, and Ziggler's never going to be that guy for Bryan. Bryan's best is probably always going to be a muscly guy representing what WWE wants vs a little scruffy guy who (teenagers and morons think) WWE hates. But you can't have that every week.

I did kind of like Ziggler's pitch recently on how a feud between him and Bryan would go to be different from just a "let's do some workrate for all these people, bro" wankfest -- I'm paraphrasing, but it was along the lines of "you're no better than me, you'd be in the same boat as I am if you didn't have the Yes chant." But you know that on the night it'd still just be fappy bollocks and there'd be little genuine emotion in who wins and loses.

John Cena came out wearing the WWE United States Heavyweight Title, which he won from Rusev at Wrestlemania. He had a new t-shirt which said "THE CHAMP IS HERE" and had an arrow pointing down to the belt. When he took the belt off, there was a picture of the belt on the t-shirt. They stole that from Alberto el Patrón!

John Cena had one of those shirts two years ago. And ten years ago.

2014 - Evolution return

That was the week after, wasn't it? The night after WrestleMania was the Shield's babyface turn.

I think they hinted at the Evolution return the night after Mania with Orton and Batista teaming up but yeah it wasn't confirmed until a week or two later. The big news was the Shield confirming their babyface turn and attacking the Authority.

I thought Raw was a good show but for that main event. I know it's overkill at this point because it's so obvious but I cannot fucking stand the Big Show and Kane any more. They're absolutely rotten.

Edited by digforvictory

Really enjoyed raw but felt a bit flat come the main event as well really it was a match we have seen a hundred times before in different guises, I was half expecting Brock to come back down and clear up or someone else to be standing behind Rollins at the end (even Ambrose would have been livened him up a little).

Speaking of Ambrose I agree that he has been wasted but hoping he can move on this year, Reigns to turn heel and Ambrose to win the next MITB match would set up an interesting three way potential at next years WrestleMania, perhaps Reigns turning heel and gradually turning face on Rollins could save him, then Ambrose with the briefcase teasing Rollins could be good fun and an interesting twist. 

Rollins is gold though in every sense of the word, and with Orton, Cena, Reigns, Brock as potential challengers there is so much for him to do, perhaps even beat and remain the top guy. Throw in Ambrose as a MITB holder and it could be good fun the next year. 

• Paid Members

2014 - Evolution return

That was the week after, wasn't it? The night after WrestleMania was the Shield's babyface turn.

Ah yes my mistake. Still though, Shield face turn is still miles ahead that the ending we got this year.

That's why it takes a John Cena, Triple H or Roman Reigns to bring out the best in Daniel Bryan.

Good thing it was just a throw away match on Raw and not a PPV main event then really. I'm not sure what yours and Rick's point is supposed to be? Is every show supposed to be filled with classic main event style matches? We know Bryan is capable of that type of match, but there's a time and a place for it.

Unless Bryan and Ziggler are given an important feud that builds to a big showdown there's no reason for them to wrestle that kind of match. They were put in a "let's just wrestle" match and delivered one

That's why it takes a John Cena, Triple H or Roman Reigns to bring out the best in Daniel Bryan.

Good thing it was just a throw away match on Raw and not a PPV main event then really. I'm not sure what yours and Rick's point is supposed to be? Is every show supposed to be filled with classic main event style matches? We know Bryan is capable of that type of match, but there's a time and a place for it.

Unless Bryan and Ziggler are given an important feud that builds to a big showdown there's no reason for them to wrestle that kind of match. They were put in a "let's just wrestle" match and delivered one

I agree.

Surely the mark of a good worker is knowing your audience and giving them the match that they want. They had a competitive face/face match that got a standing ovation from those in attendance. You've got to be very picky and pedantic to rip holes in that. Didn't like it? Fair enough. But it was perfectly fine for the show and position it was on, particularly with that crowd.

• Paid Members

"very picky and pedantic"

Fucking hell, Eddie, you've been on here far too long not to know they're the two "qualities" we all have in common.

I think, and have always thought, that those Malenko/Guerrero recreations are wank. Just because this crowd were happy to indulge them doesn't make it any less so.

Apologies for holding an opinion you can't agree with though. Don't want anyone getting the impression that that's what this place is for or anything.

• Awards Moderator

I loved the pants off that Ambrose v Cena match. Thought Ambrose had him at one point. Really want to see another go around for these guys.

And just how fresh was it with the change in announce team?

Good thing it was just a throw away match on Raw and not a PPV main event then really. I'm not sure what yours and Rick's point is supposed to be?

According to that lad earlier, the point was winding up the kind of fans who "don't" post on here. Apparently it's worked.

My point was that Daniel Bryan's best work hasn't been the ZOMGWORKRATEVSWORKRATE stuff, it's been the stuff that mattered. But like I said in that same post, can't do that every week. Obviously that bit is easy to miss in the froth of knee-jerk upset though.

Good thing it was just a throw away match on Raw and not a PPV main event then really. I'm not sure what yours and Rick's point is supposed to be?

According to that lad earlier, the point was winding up the kind of fans who "don't" post on here. Apparently it's worked.

My point was that Daniel Bryan's best work hasn't been the ZOMGWORKRATEVSWORKRATE stuff, it's been the stuff that mattered. But like I said in that same post, can't do that every week. Obviously that bit is easy to miss in the froth of knee-jerk upset though.

You're veering dangerously into gimmick poster territory Pitcos! Please don't, as I enjoy your posts for the most part.

Edited by Ladiesman345

"very picky and pedantic"

Fucking hell, Eddie, you've been on here far too long not to know they're the two "qualities" we all have in common.

I think, and have always thought, that those Malenko/Guerrero recreations are wank. Just because this crowd were happy to indulge them doesn't make it any less so.

Apologies for holding an opinion you can't agree with though. Don't want anyone getting the impression that that's what this place is for or anything.

Try reading all of what I wrote and responding to that. Here's what I said at the end...

"Didn't like it? Fair enough. But it was perfectly fine for the show and position it was on, particularly with that crowd"

I already said not liking the match was fine. The point I was agreeing with was that it was a perfect match for that particular crowd. If that's an "Indy Wankfest Match" then so be it.