New Japan iPPV thread

JNLister

• Paid Members

Don't know if this is the right thread, but it's an interesting little article - basically an excerpt from Tanahashi's book, his philosophy of how he approaches wrestling, and the influences he draws on. Pretty well written (in terms of content, the proof-reading and grammar's a little fluffed).

Right here.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bruce Tharpe is great and has basically carried the entire NWA story. At first I didn't like his act but he has really grown on me.

That cunt who basically sings the English intros need fucking off. Why the fuck do they even have two guys doing them?

• Paid Members

Top matches for the next main PPV on June 21:

Shinsuke Nakamura VS Bad Luck Fale

Tougi Makabe/Hiroshi Tanahashi VS Doc Gallows/Karl Anderson

Kota Ibushi VS BOSJ winner

Satoshi Kojima/Hiroyoshi Tenzan VS Davey Boy Smith Jr/Lance Archer

Tomohiro Ishii/ Kazuchika Okada VS Yujiro Takahashi/A.J. Styles

That looks a good line up. A year ago the thought of Nakamura vs Fale would've been a huge nightmare to me. I hated both guys but both have really grown on me, Nakamura is now one of the guys I look forward to watching most and Fale since his WK match this year has shown massive improvement.

Just realized I'm off work for all 3 BOSJ PPV's too so will be ordering those.

Meltzer seems to be implying in the latest Observer that NJPW is losing a bit of steam now with Styles as champion and Tanahashi out of the main event spot.

I dunno really - I thought it was a fantastic promotion from early 2007 way before the popularity hit new levels in early 2012 - and it only did so then because of Bushiroad's marketing machine behind it, which was then further helped by its venture into the iPPV market. I don't think Okada had a huge amount to do with it actually.

I think they threw everything they had into the big events last year in an effort to grow the fan base even further, which made for some of the finest shows ever but in the process they used up so many of their big name match-ups (and took a massive toll physically on the wrestlers, particularly during last year's G1).

Now I think they've realised they have to slow down, spreading the big matches over a larger number of shows. In this context they've been way too optimistic though in thinking they could get even close to filling Yokohama Arena with that card (and they're right to be concerned about filling the Seibu Dome for G1 finals now).

Without a much better time slot on TV Asahi they're just not going to grow the fan base much (if any) more than they have done already, and this would have happened by now if TV Asahi were interested.

So whilst the era of throw-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink 5+ four star match shows are probably gone now, I'm we're still going to get consistently good shows on a monthly basis and at least two or three great ones a year for the foreseeable future.

Meltzer seems to be implying in the latest Observer that NJPW is losing a bit of steam now with Styles as champion and Tanahashi out of the main event spot.

Tanahashi needs keeping away from the main events for a long period. There's been a couple of shows recently where he's just been so stale and even the live crowd seemed to be getting a little bored with him. His stuff with Bullet Club has been tedious too. At least twice in the last couple of months Tanahashi has pretty much single handedly beaten the tag champs while Togi (my memory is crap but I think it was him both times) played little part in the end of the match. The worst one was after Tanahashi took a strong beatdown including multiple match ending moves but then came back to take them out solo in a comeback even Super Cena would be ashamed of. Way to devalue the tag titles.

• 2 weeks later...

Thailand Comic-Con have uploaded a small show NJPW put on there, no big names but it's fun.

NJPW : WRESTLING WAR IN THAILAND

1,200 fans paid.

----------------------------------------------------

1. El Desperado vs Yohei Komatsu

2. BUSHI vs Tiger Mask

3. Manabu Nakanishi & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Sho Tanaka & Yuji Nagata

4. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata vs Takashi Iizuka & Yano Toru

5. Makabe & Naito vs Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI

Thailand Comic-Con have uploaded a small show NJPW put on there, no big names but it's fun.

1,200 fans paid.

2. BUSHI vs Tiger Mask

Man I really need to find some way to keep track of any wrestling that occurs in mainland south east asia. Thailand is only a quick cheap flight, would have definitely gone to this

• Paid Members
Nakanishi's still around? One of my least favourite wrestlers ever. Kurasawa sucked a thousand cocks.

Now imagine him with 20 years of physical decline but no increase in talent. Fortunately Nakanishi is Japanese for "eight man tag."

1,200 fans paid.

2. BUSHI vs Tiger Mask

Man I really need to find some way to keep track of any wrestling that occurs in mainland south east asia. Thailand is only a quick cheap flight, would have definitely gone to this

The show was part of the comic-con so was really only included in the entry price. Like they were touting at the end of that event, theres plans for them to be back at next years comic-con. As far as I know Thailand is a market NJPW are keen to break into as its relatively untapped, so this was a bit of a test the water appearance. Most of the bigger names were doing the ROH shows when this event was on. Hasn't really been any big wrestling events there since AJW in 88 iirc.

As far as other wrestling in Thailand goes, there isn't a great deal. There's Gatoh Move, Emi Sakura's promotion that runs sporadic free dojo events in Bangkok, pretty much whenever she goes over to Thailand. Usually a couple of DDT guys go over with her to appear.

And then theres a really REALLY bad promotion running in Pattaya called KWF, where all the 'wrestlers' wrestle in tshirts and masks after seemingly a few training sessions.

• 2 weeks later...

The fans were mental for Ricochet as well, hope he becomes a regular. Didn't WWE stick their nose up to him recently over something rather silly? Mental if true.

Slowly making my way through Dominion and it's been a cracker of a show so far. The G1 ad got me pumped, wonder if the whole thing will be on IPPV again like last year.

• Paid Members

From what I heard, it wasn't his attitude, but rather that before he even got there all the wrestlers (and Jamie Noble) were raving about him, so management got the hump and decided in advance he was an overrated indy sensation.

Thought the show this weekend was great. If I hadn't decided "balls am I paying for a show headlined by Fale", I wouldn't have felt ripped off. They can definitely have some money for G1. Everyone's raving about the junior matches, but I loved Tanahashi/Makabe vs Anderson/Gallows for how they worked the match with the Japanese guys getting destroyed but not losing face.

Speaking of G1, it looks great and all, but I can't believe New Japan looked at last year's shows and thought "You know what we really need? One person *more* in each group. I assume that means no non-tournament matches on the shows other than the final night. It's utterly criminal to let Tenzan in it again this year. Also a little sad Shibata and Suzuki are in different groups again.

Archived