Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

• Paid Members

If I remember rightly (and have the person you mean) he posted on here a few times as Simmons Fan Club.My favourite memory of him was from the period when Jonny Storm was XPW European Champion, but because the championship belt never materialised, Jonny carried a briefcase that supposedly had the belt inside. One Broxbourne show, SFC brought an almost identical briefcase, and when Jonny was in the ring opened it to reveal a copy of Gay Times and a cucumber...He was burned by the first Brent Town Hall show in 2004, when he was right on the end of the front row with his

• Paid Members

EDIT- HELP NEEDED: Who was the guy who sat in the front row at Civic Hall in front of the stage (opposite the tiered seating)? Always one of the most joyous, animated fans, looked like a normal bloke rather than a wrestling fan, used to start a lot of the football-esque chants and I think he gave Ricky Knight a Norwich scarf at one show? He must've been on here. He was always a laugh. Looked a little bit like our Frankie in fact...

My God, he's not crossed my mind for some while! I'm ashamed to admit I remember neither his real name or his forum username, but I used to chat with him about Norwich (and wrestling, obviously) quite a lot at the shows, and bumped into him in the city centre a few times. Really, genuinely nice guy. And IIRC, it was Zebra who was the recipient of the Norwich scarf. I always used to wear a Norwich shirt to FWA shows, for reasons I really can't fathom now.

• Paid Members

Anybody remember a mixed race dude named Justin who used to attend some of the shows (towards the latter end of the FWA "golden era"? Pretty loud dude, won a raffle one time. Anybody recall? Think he goes to a lot of PROGRESS shows now.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• 5 years later...

Indeed. The FWA remains my all-time favourite U.K. company. I followed it from FWA One back in 1999 (from a distance) through the very good south coast TV series from 2001-2002 to Revival through the expansion and excellen 2nd version of the TV show to the cool-off, demise and rebirth, etc.

The UK scene is a very different place now, so it’s great that this thread has been unearthed, to remind myself-and by Elisa Cabrera (one of the founding fathers of the original group) no less.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, kidzero said:

i used to get the tapes from strong style tapes back in the day i enjoyed it it was the only uk indy i had heard of (apart from hammerlock ) back then 

Speaking of Strong Style, can anyone remember exactly what happened at Frontiers of Honor with him. The rumor I heard was he sold the RoH tapes cheaper then they were, made enough money that night to almost pay for a house and got run out the building by the wrestlers. 

40 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Speaking of Strong Style, can anyone remember exactly what happened at Frontiers of Honor with him. The rumor I heard was he sold the RoH tapes cheaper then they were, made enough money that night to almost pay for a house and got run out the building by the wrestlers. 

He used to sell pirate versions of all the ROH shows, when Frontiers Of Honor was ran he was told not to sell his copies as official versions would be on sale from ROH themselves.  He completely ignored the warnings and continued to sell his knock off versions on the night, which obviously didn't go down too well!

16 hours ago, uklaw said:

Indeed. The FWA remains my all-time favourite U.K. company. I followed it from FWA One back in 1999 (from a distance) through the very good south coast TV series from 2001-2002 to Revival through the expansion and excellen 2nd version of the TV show to the cool-off, demise and rebirth, etc.

The UK scene is a very different place now, so it’s great that this thread has been unearthed, to remind myself-and by Elisa Cabrera (one of the founding fathers of the original group) no less.

It's a different place indeed. Back then we didn't have YouTube, we didn't have social media like Facebook or Twitter to promote on. Copying tapes to sell had to be done in real time! Without social media back then we had to hire tables at comic cons like Memorabilia in Birmingham to try and reach out to new audiences and set up an old school style fan club using the post. 

UKFF was the entire social media for FWA in the early years. I wonder if the moderators still have archive of the FWA Fan Forum that was hosted by UKFF. Maybe they could add it as a Gold sub thread if they do? 

On 6/7/2013 at 12:36 PM, johnnyboy said:

Flash Barker beating the snot out of Low Ki remains a highlight for me. Low Ki was lucky that Flash let him live as he could have taken him at any time. At any time.

I think that must be the match where after I spent 4.5 hours sitting with Low Ki at the local A&E waiting room for him to be seen by a doctor for his shoulder. He turned to me after and thanked me saying he didn't know of any other promoter he had worked with who would have accompanied him and waited at a hospital until a doctor had seen him. 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, elisarcabrera said:

He turned to me after and thanked me saying he didn't know of any other promoter he had worked with who would have accompanied him and waited at a hospital until a doctor had seen him. 

That's probably because he was, by most accounts, a massive prick. Fair play to you though Elisar- that's a class thing to do.

UKFF FWA sub forum was absolutely buzzing in the day. I remember the threads of speculation as to which import FWA were going to bring over (back when you'd get one import per major show, 2 tops).

10 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

That's probably because he was, by most accounts, a massive prick. Fair play to you though Elisar- that's a class thing to do.

UKFF FWA sub forum was absolutely buzzing in the day. I remember the threads of speculation as to which import FWA were going to bring over (back when you'd get one import per major show, 2 tops).

I remember him being quite quiet and polite that first show we brought him on.