Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

• Paid Members

What happened to Jack Xavier?

He was pushed to high heavens with FWA at one point, he became one of the 'face the foreign talent' guys at one point. When FWA disappeared, so did Jack it appears.

Defeating Homicide with no Cop Killa on show turned many against him.

• Paid Members

If I remember rightly, Jack Xavier went and did a load of charity stuff, like marathons in Namibia and so on. I don't think he ever came back to wrestling after FWA closed for the first time.

Little known fact... as most people know the FWA was originally called the Fratton Wrestling Alliance... and probably would have stayed that way for a little while longer if it wasn’t for John Feltham who insisted on promoting it as the “Frontier wrestling alliance” in his Wrasslin’ Post newsletter.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

What happened to Jack Xavier?

He was pushed to high heavens with FWA at one point, he became one of the 'face the foreign talent' guys at one point. When FWA disappeared, so did Jack it appears.

Defeating Homicide with no Cop Killa on show turned many against him.

Mark Sloan has told me a story about one of the convention shows they did during the FWA 2.0 period, at the Birmingham NEC Memorabilia or something like that, where some guy rocks up to him and says hi, then says "you don't recognise me do you?" , and it was him, completely revamped look like a celebrity A-lister with toned, tanned body and wife to match. 

• Paid Members

Didn't Jack come from the attempt of FWA Midlands?

I saw on show of this, way before FWA became what it went on to be, always remember a tag team called the Black Country Militia which was cool, I'm sure Jack Xavier was in that show too.

Kev O'Neil certainly was, and I'm sure there are stories of him getting fucked over somewhere.

2 hours ago, TheCrisis said:

Little known fact... as most people know the FWA was originally called the Fratton Wrestling Alliance... and probably would have stayed that way for a little while longer if it wasn’t for John Feltham who insisted on promoting it as the “Frontier wrestling alliance” in his Wrasslin’ Post newsletter.

I am pretty sure it my idea to change it and that I chose Frontier. And I started it on it asap as I had brought TV crews to first two shows. But I am happy to be corrected if my memory is off. I do remember having conversation with Mark about name change and don't recall the Post going ahead without us. It's possible we gave them the exclusive to mention it.

Edited by elisarcabrera

35 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

I saw on show of this, way before FWA became what it went on to be, always remember a tag team called the Black Country Militia which was cool, I'm sure Jack Xavier was in that show too.

Kev O'Neil certainly was, and I'm sure there are stories of him getting fucked over somewhere.

Jack Xavier and Ian Da Silva were Midlands trainees and started in FWA as tag team Badd Company.

Kev's stable was the Black Country Militia. With Vixen, Blade, Cannon and Shooter. Used a military sounding entrance theme I picked from the soundtrack of Starship Troopers.

Edited by elisarcabrera
Typo

57 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

militia fwa logo

namevixen

bcm-vixen2Vixen is the cunning leader of the Black Country Militia.

An ambitious woman, she is a former girlfriend of FWA-MIDLANDS wrestler Gideon, a man who has had his fair share of problems with his ex-childhood tormenter Kev O’Neil. Vixen betrayed Gideon to join O’Neil and form the Black Country Militia, the private army that Vixen sees as her vehicle to fulfil her ambitions in sports entertainment.

By surrounding herself with her own private militia, Vixen looks unstoppable. Already exerting influence over all that happens from now on in FWA-MIDLANDS, Vixen’s ambitions are becoming real and any wrestler who gets in her way are just cannon fodder for her elite soldiers.

nametomcat

Kev O’Neil, a two year veteran of the squared circle has been looking for respect in this business for some time.

O’Neil has always been the type of person who has lead gangs, intimidating others for his own amusement. One such victim is his long time rival, Gideon, whom O’Neil went to school with and who O’Neil tormented to the extent that Gideon became a lone outcast. Since then Gideon and O’Neil have had a heated rivalry in professional wrestling.

O’Neil entered the wrestling business as The Harlequin in 1998, then managed by Zombie. He had a heated feud with Excalibur, who later would end up joining with O’Neil in 1999. O’Neil has a knack of convincing others to join his cause, first Excalibur, then Vixen, and now Cannon. A dangerous wrestler who plans to cause havoc in the FWA in 2000.

nameblade

bcm-blade1Blade is the deadly and silent assassin of the Black Country Militia.

Blade is an unfeeling foot soldier who has pledged allegiance to O’Neil and Vixen to ‘TERMINATE WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE’ any wrestler who gets in the way of the Militia’s grand plans.

Formerly known as Excalibur when he first entered wrestling in 1998, Blade was first a rival of O’Neil’s in the squared circle (they faced each other in an epic battle at FWA ONE in February 1999) before joining O’Neil as his regular tag team partner when British Pro Wrestling burst into the Midlands area in June 1999 – he changed his name from Excalibur to Blade at BPW’s second show in July 1999.

No one is safe when Blade is in the building. He will do whatever it takes to make sure that he or any of the Militia walk away from any contest with a victory.

namecannon

Cannon is the Black Country Militia’s dangerous enforcer.

A black belt in many martial arts, Cannon at times can appear unstoppable when he faces his opponents in the ring. Another convert to O’Neil’s cause following, Cannon’s sudden allegiance to the Militia is perhaps the most surprising.

Cannon was first introduced to wrestling audiences in the Midlands and Wiltshire areas as X-Factor. X-Factor feuded with O’Neil for most of 1999. Perhaps his name change to the warplane sounding Nighthawk in late 1999 should have been a clue that perhaps O’Neil was getting through to the man formerly known as X-Factor.

For now, we do not know Cannon’s reasons for joining the Militia but no doubt we will find out in 2000 as he proves he will be an important part of the heel team.

nameshooter

Shooter is the Black Country Militia’s eyes and ears.

Although only a rookie, this youngster has already had some impressive matches, including a pinfall victory over The Alchemist leader Enigma.

Shooter started in pro-wrestling as Zombie, the young manager of Harlequin O’Neil before becoming a professional wrestler himself. As a manager he interfered and assisted O’Neil at every opportunity, even taling on O’Neil’s opponents on the outside of the ring.

Zombie became Shooter on formation of the Militia and is an integral part of the team, and one of O’Neil’s most trusted allies.

• Paid Members

Kev O’Neil, a two year veteran

Two year veteran!

Vixen looks familiar. Didn't she managed somebody else further down the line? Was it Drew McDonald, or even the tag team of Dominator & Thunder (around the time of Revival)?

2 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

@elisarcabrera I remember all that info and those pics from the never updated FWA Midlands site.

It was at a time we were running so many sites and brands. It was a bit crazy. But back then there was no social media yet so more sites in our mind was more exposure. Nowadays it would be easier to run one site but several social accounts for different purposes. 

TalkSport Radio 1053/1089am
www.talksport.net

Saturdays 8-10pm UK, 9-11pm CET, 3-5pm ET, 12-2pm PT

ABOUT THE SHOW

TalkSPORT's Saturday night wrestling show, Talk Wrestle, is back and it's bigger and better than ever. Co-hosts Alex Shane and Simon Lilsboy are taking the airwaves by storm with the UK's number one wrestling chat show.

Alex, Britain's most popular wrestler, brings to the show all of the knowledge that only being part of the wrestling business provides. As well as a being the biggest wrestling star in the UK, Alex is a qualified trainer and runs his own wrestling school.

Simon, best known as a wrestling journalist in the UK and as part of "The Lilsboys", is the online wrestling columnist for The Sun newspaper. He has contacts all over the industry and has interviewed many of its top stars.

The two got together when Simon was a caller on Talk Wrestle back in December 2001. Alex soon realised that Simon knew his wrestling inside out and invited him into the talkSPORT studios. We haven't been able to get rid of him since.

Talk Wrestle covers both the American and British wrestling scenes. Every week Bill Apter, the world's most renowned wrestling journalist, joins the guys for a weekly stateside round up. The show also has all of the interviews with all of the big name grapplers on the US and UK circuits. There are also fortnightly competitions and give-aways with fantastic prizes on offer.

Past Guests have included:

Diamond Dallas Page
Low Ki 
Jake The Snake Roberts
The Pitbulls
Jim Ross and Terri
New Breed
Ulf Herman 
Jody Fleisch 
Doug Williams 
John Tenta 
Rob Van Dam
William Regal
Matt Hardy
Lita 
Chris Harvard
Eddy Guerrero
Brian Christopher

From the FWA website in 2003

In these days of nostalgia and restoration, a thread like this (and any social media equivalent) would invariably lead to a clamour to revive the subject in question.

But dare I say the FWA is in such a unique position in history and it seems to be accepted that the company was so of its time (even when also accepted it was ahead of its time) and the scene is so different now that it would be very difficult to bring it back again. 

It can be argued that perhaps the 2009 revival proved that. Even though I admit I quite enjoyed it until the Hope and Glory show with the Patrick Lennon video. Then it fell off, never to recover.

Edited by uklaw

I only saw a few FWA shows, including one of the York Hall affairs, but I did sneak over to a few training sessions, in Portsmouth. I say sneak, as I was a Hammerlock regular at the time, and training/working elsewhere was strictly taboo. I enjoyed a well planned, tight and effective spot of training. A small part of me regrets not moving over at an earlier point, when quite a few migrated from Hammerlock.