Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, elisarcabrera said:

I’d like to invite you all to join the FWA Years Facebook group. loads of pics and more will be added at some point. Feel free to add your own pics etc too

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FWAUKwrestling/

Just looking through the comments, I think @Big Benny HG is probably your best bet for scans of the Revival programme. I think he uploaded it on here years ago (unless I'm getting confused with International Showdown.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

By the way I would love your thoughts on the website.

I have been re-creating the original news, email newsletters and stories that appeared on the various FWA websites in those early years to have as an historical record since those sites no longer exist.

Its up at http://frontierwrestling.wordpress.com 

Edited by elisarcabrera

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BrodyGraham said:

I can't find the March 2003 Broxbourne show, which is a bit gutting. The Jonny Storm Vs Jerry Lynn main event blew my tiny little mind when I saw it live.

Was never officially released, that one, which was disappointing as it was collectively considered one of the group's best shows. Don't think they ever explained why - must've been a problem with the footage. I've seen some clips of some matches, and I recall some footage turning up in music vids, but the full show has never been seen after the night itself. 

2 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Just looking through the comments, I think @Big Benny HG is probably your best bet for scans of the Revival programme. I think he uploaded it on here years ago (unless I'm getting confused with International Showdown.

Think I do have that one (unless I'm getting it mixed up with Uprising 1).  I'll have a look next time I'm in the loft. 

7 hours ago, elisarcabrera said:

Revival had 20k’s worth of production values. So it’s a no brainer. Of course these days it would be much cheaper.

compare like for like and FWA had at least some production values compared to our a lot of our contemporaries who had none.

Oh absolutely as I said I thought you had better production values than ROH through 2004. In fact I struggle to think of any companies around at that time and that size I would say we're comparable to even what the FWA especially between 2002 and 2004. 

• Paid Members

Perhaps more relevant to people reading this thread than elsewhere - Fight Club Pro's Dream Tag Team Invitational shows over Easter weekend have announced Jonny Storm & Jody Fleisch as the final team of the tournament.

Between that and Ulf Hermann's comeback match, it looks like early '00s BritWres nostalgia is the next big trend.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Watching the old FWA TV series and did Alex Shane ever cut a promo where he doesnt say "when the smoke has cleared and the dust has settled and its all said and done ..." That's some collection of clichés there. Love/want to kill myself how so many people in the early 2000s tried to be Brit-yanks.  "I've got balls the size of grapefruits, son."

Why did the FWA keep bringing out the Dominator and not use him? Was that purely because he looked like a wrestler? He was on the Revival show and just stood there. Has to be because he was a gimmick. What happened to the Dominator anyway? Is he still around? He was like the fucking April Hunter of the UK. WOW Magazine used to put him all over its pages, yet never saw him work on big UK indies (not even All Star.)

4 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Watching the old FWA TV series and did Alex Shane ever cut a promo where he doesnt say "when the smoke has cleared and the dust has settled and its all said and done ..." That's some collection of clichés there. Love/want to kill myself how so many people in the early 2000s tried to be Brit-yanks.  "I've got balls the size of grapefruits, son."

Why did the FWA keep bringing out the Dominator and not use him? Was that purely because he looked like a wrestler? He was on the Revival show and just stood there. Has to be because he was a gimmick. What happened to the Dominator anyway? Is he still around? He was like the fucking April Hunter of the UK. WOW Magazine used to put him all over its pages, yet never saw him work on big UK indies (not even All Star.)

Still promoting EWW shows in Hastings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

@elisarcabrera This is driving me mad, mate. There's a Geordie doing commentary on the No Surprises 4 show and I have no idea who it is. This is puzzling me, because I found some old WrestleTalk radio shows on cassette recently, and this Geordie (Paul from Newcastle) is on every fucking week and even shows up as a guest after being "discovered" at a talent search. This has to be someone on here. Got to be. You dont call up TalkSport's wrestling show every week with smart mark clichés and not be a vintage UKFFer. Do you recall this person?

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

23 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

@elisarcabrera This is driving me mad, mate. There's a Geordie doing commentary on the No Surprises 4 show and I have no idea who it is. This is puzzling me, because I found some old WrestleTalk radio shows on cassette recently, and this Geordie (Paul from Newcastle) is on every fucking week and even shows up as a guest after being "discovered" at a talent search. This has to be someone on here. Got to be. You dont call up TalkSport's wrestling show every week with smart mark clichés and not be a vintage UKFFer. Do you recall this person?

Weird. I don’t recall. Odd since commentary would have been recorded in my office in my flat of the time.

but just rewatching the opening of No Surprises 4 I am surprised to see that our production is looking better than recent UK shows I have seen shown on Showcase Fight Network UK. 

18 hours ago, Sir Steve Redgrave said:

Just looking on Cagematch and saw Jack Xavier listed as still wrestling as of last year in Puerto Rico. This can't be the same former All England Champion can it?

I don’t think so.

however Jack has the look to come back if ever decides to

https://www.instagram.com/renzo_82/p/9N90UcJWyC90SKOhg-6AK1bQWkHvOsFcGPZ9o0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1eeis3hp4eqfd