Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

• Paid Members

FWA Revival was my first "proper" BritWres show! I have no idea if it's aged well, but it was a good intro to wrestlers I only really "knew" from reading Powerslam at the time. 

Keen to revisit that one when I get the chance.

From skimming through the production values have not aged well which I don't want to be a knock on FWA as i'm sure if I went back to 2002/3 ROH it would be even worse. Shows how far things have come with better tech available and more promotions than ever using it to provide a top notch looking product. 

Revival actually stood out watching it back as they made the venue look like a massive arena and had pretty good lighting and camera cuts, really professional looking product by the standards of the time. 

• Paid Members

I've decided to start with Revival. Holy crap I forgot so much of this show. Drew McDonald and Dino Scarlo are absolutely awesome. Ulf Herman's fan interaction is superb.

I was there in person and watched it a bunch when it aired and yet bizarrely I forgotten loads of this. Brilliant stuff.

Though Revival was presented as a one-off show, I would argue it had its foundations (or certainly the composition of the roster did) in the original FWA TV series for local South Coast stations.

If you can excuse the rather dated production values, the series was a little gem and the Old School vs New School feud that ran through Revival and carried through to roughly British Uprising 1 originated there.

• Paid Members

Drew McDonald, The Dominator and Flatliner were the three who people would always use as examples of "proper British wrestlers" back in the early 2000s. Flatliner was a veteran of the pre-=Mick McManus era, so you can excuse why he wasnt so mobile. In fact, legend has it Gorgeous George got his first feather boa from Flatliner because he was winding down at the time.

On 3/19/2019 at 8:35 PM, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Someone, maybe Elisar, has uploaded what seems to be the whole back catalog of the FWA to youtube this week. Like the original and the NEW AND IMPROVED MASSIVE CLASS HONEST! 2009 version of it, than ran a few shows. Madness. Going to have a took through this.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrM3g1P3kybBP4XPu-FA3vg/playlists

It wasn’t me and I wasn’t aware until someone found it and posted about it. It’s all been uploaded by a fan called Leigh Copson who re-discovered his collection recently.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:14 AM, DEF said:

Probably British Uprising 1 in my book. To be fair that was my starting point unless you count WrestleXpress or Revival. (both not technically FWA) but it has some ace stuff like Jerry Lynn Vs Doug Williams, AJ Styles Vs Jonny Storm, Balls Mahoney Vs Ulf Herman and Jody Fliesch becoming a babyface legend. (in my mind at least)

EDIT - Just had a butchers and Revival is up as well. Haven't seen that in years. Well worth watching first I'd say. A self contained story in so much as it's a tournament and of course Eddie Guerrero. Highly recommended.

Wrestlexpress was Scott Conway promoted. Revival was creatively FWA as it was myself and Dino who wrote the show.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:31 AM, BomberPat said:

FWA Revival was my first "proper" BritWres show! I have no idea if it's aged well, but it was a good intro to wrestlers I only really "knew" from reading Powerslam at the time. 

Keen to revisit that one when I get the chance.

I did have the uncut raw footage of revival on tape. It was sadly lost in the storage fire where I lost a lot of stuff - including the Kingnof England medallion.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:04 AM, simonworden said:

From skimming through the production values have not aged well which I don't want to be a knock on FWA as i'm sure if I went back to 2002/3 ROH it would be even worse. Shows how far things have come with better tech available and more promotions than ever using it to provide a top notch looking product. 

Revival actually stood out watching it back as they made the venue look like a massive arena and had pretty good lighting and camera cuts, really professional looking product by the standards of the time. 

Revival had 20k’s worth of production values. So it’s a no brainer. Of course these days it would be much cheaper.

compare like for like and FWA had at least some production values compared to our a lot of our contemporaries who had none.