Let's talk FWA

Herne's Son

On 4/12/2019 at 4:09 PM, Sir Steve Redgrave said:

Just looking on Cagematch and saw Jack Xavier listed as still wrestling as of last year in Puerto Rico. This can't be the same former All England Champion can it?

I didn't know my account has been activated until now. Anyways, I know it's a little bloody late but I can tell you the Jack Xavier that wrestled in Puerto Rico is definitely not the same one that used to wrestle in Europe, mainly for FWA.

Here's a link for the Puerto Rican one - https://www.facebook.com/BlackMoneyCWA/?ref=page_internal

I work for Cagematch. I'll let know the guy that usually adds the Puerto Rican events about it. Appreciate the headups.

• 1 year later...

In light of the last 24 hours of Twitter blow up regarding Starr and allegations from women he has dated in the past, I’d thought I would share a story about the On The Ropes documentary that featured FWA on Channel 4.

After it was broadcast we were told that many of the old timers were upset at us for doing the documentary which they felt was “exposing the business” or “breaking kayfabe”.  

It would be later that I found out what specifically in the film they had objected to. 

It turned out it was the fact that we had discussed the reality of “ring rats” (horrible term and one I feel very uncomfortable using). Apparently the old timers had watched with their wives and gf’s and some had to have conversations. But hey, don’t want to have those types of conversations then don’t sleep around. It’s not rocket science.

• 1 month later...

Apologies of where this this is placed but considering his long term link with the FWA I thought is was most appropriate.

Elisar Cabreras wife has sent out a tweet today that Elisar has sadly passed away after a 4 year battle with cancer.

I only knew Elisar in quick "Hi how are you?" fashion at the old FWA shows but no doubt this is very sad news.

Thoughts are with his wife and family.

• Paid Members

Wow, that's sad news. Had no idea Elisar was unwell.

Spoke to him once at a WWE house show (I think Sheffield, probably 2003 or 2004) when he came over & said hi as I was wearing an FWA t-shirt. Really nice guy then & in interactions on here.

RIP Elisar.

Unfortunately true. Elisar was one of the original founding members of the FWA and one of the only genuine good guys in a world back then of charlatans and thieves. People that deserved to be in the situation Elisar found himself in. But I’m going to veer off the negative now.

Elisar started the JOB Squad meet-ups in London which many early FWA people can attest to be being a great place to meet up in what was then a SUPER Niche area of interest. If you wanted to find your tribe, it was there. And Elisar wanted nothing other than for people to share their passion and have a good time. 

I would encourage you to seek out his other work that he directed and produced in his life in film and tv. Just google his name and you will be surprised. He did some amazing things in his lifetime and he will be missed.

If it wasn’t for Elisar there would be no glory days of FWA and the subsequent boom in Britwres simple as. Some people would want to take all the credit for themselves but they are liars. RIP to a lovely and talent man.

Think I only met Elisar once briefly too but in recent years in this thread interacted with him about FWA nostalgia and he always came across as a very nice decent person which might not sound like much but in the world of wrestling is a rare thing. Very sad to hear of his passing and my sympathy  and respects go out to his friends and family.

Edited by simonworden

Just going to repost this from my Facebook page:

"I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Elisar Cabrera earlier this morning, who most certainly had a significant impact on my personal career within the wrestling business and within the UK scene as a whole.

One thing I have seen from the UK scene is the use of revisionist history for individuals to help glorify themselves, and it is important not to forget the contributions of men like Elisar. 

Elisar was one of the key owners / managers of the FWA in the UK, which during the earlier 2000s was *THE* premiere wrestling promotion in the UK. For all intents and purposes, it laid the blueprint down for what came after. Elisar was the producer and editor during a time where filming and editing wrestling shows was NOT easy nor affordable, and editing was way more time consuming. He was also responsible for editing wrestling tv episodes and national broadcasted specials too. Credit to you sir.

As a result Elisar was significant in helping me start as a commentator. Live commentary wasn't really possible back then, so every few weeks after a major show, myself and my co commentator at the time would truck on down to his London flat, and record commentary for the latest FWA video.

Those videos would help a few UK guys get a opportunity in WWE, ROH, CZW, TNA and other major promotions abroad, and really helped open the door between the US and UK scenes at the time. He should be very proud of that.

In a surreal twist, it turned out that many of these videos some how made it to Australia via tape trading, and when I started a few of the more veteran wrestlers would talk to me about the UK scene at that time, and again Elisar contribution allowed the exposure of the UK scene to the Aussie market.

Personally I also benefited, as those video tapes also found their way to one Mikey Jay's hands, and in turn would score me my work with MCW, and in turn give me my opportunities with NJPW and Progress. 

Thank you Elisar, your impact was VERY significant. Rest in peace." 

• 2 weeks later...

As the minor news thread is shut and Scott Conway was loosely affiliated with the FWA for a time being it appears him and The Wrestling Alliance look to be making a comeback in the UK sometime in the future. He has an Instagram account and a YouTube channel "TWA Wrestling UK" which appears to be a mix of old photos and promos for stars who might appear for them. 

The promo pics are very very early 2000's which I hope is purposely being done, I also hope this is not just an online gag Scott or someone else is running as I quite enjoyed his shows way back in the day. 

2 hours ago, mikey said:

TWA was more of a Dixon adjacent thing. 

I guess in terms of product but I always got the impression Scott wasn't particular keen on Dixon perhaps as they were direct rivals. I know he was friendly with the Knights and WAW and he used a lot of FWA guys in latter years especially by giving younger FWA matches on shows including Alex Shane, Mark Sloan, James Tighe, Raj Ghosh and Andy Simmons 

10 minutes ago, simonworden said:

I guess in terms of product but I always got the impression Scott wasn't particular keen on Dixon perhaps as they were direct rivals. I know he was friendly with the Knights and WAW and he used a lot of FWA guys in latter years especially by giving younger FWA matches on shows including Alex Shane, Mark Sloan, James Tighe, Raj Ghosh and Andy Simmons 

Scott would've had an irredeemable falling out with Brian on Friday but be ring announcing Dartford or Croydon on a Tuesday. I believe that he sourced his own guys that Brian wasn't so keen on but he was also getting booked by Brian.