Indy Wrestling from the late 90s early 2000s

When channel 4 stopped showing WWE, I had to rely on watching wrestling at my friends' houses and going on WWF.com which was nowhere near as developed as it is now (I wasn't particularly internet-savvy either). Also supplemented this by starting to pick up the Apter magazines, in addition to WWF and Raw magazines; that's how I started to find out about other companies. Still remember when ROH only had 5 VHS tapes available, and you could order with a postal order from the back of a magazine.

Agreed with whoever spoke highly of the ROH vs CZW feud. Absolutely loved it - like any invasion angle - and it worked because you had fans blindly passionate about their respective company. There are a lot of layers to that final COD match which make it a great watch, even if by the time it came, the feud had lost some momentum.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I was mostly into the death match scene at the time. Used to make a point of getting the CZW and IWA TODs and I remember getting tapes such as Mid American Wrestling's Hardcore Cup.

Outside of this area, I remember really liking Spyder Nate Webb as well as Chris Hero.

And there was this guy who seemed pretty special, CM Punk? Whatever happened to him!

• Paid Members

Check out this channel:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/HereComesTheAx/videos

Tons of stuff from this period including early CZW events that make their later events look like Wrestlemania, production-wise. A bunch of XPW, IWA-MS and 3PW stuff as well. I've never heard of ISPW, though.

The first match between Samoa Joe and Necro Butcher is one that I can't help but love. Joe was brilliant around that time, dragging great matches out of everyone he wrestled. Punk commentates on that as well, I think.

Punk is fucking ace on that commentary.

"THAT'S MY BEST FRIEND!!" (as Joe fucks up Necro).

Is my favourite botch-fest that one. Five stars.

Whats Necro up to these days??

The first match between Samoa Joe and Necro Butcher is one that I can't help but love. Joe was brilliant around that time, dragging great matches out of everyone he wrestled. Punk commentates on that as well, I think.

Punk is fucking ace on that commentary.

"THAT'S MY BEST FRIEND!!" (as Joe fucks up Necro).

Is my favourite botch-fest that one. Five stars.

In an earlier match on that same show Punk called Jade Chung, Claudio Castignoli's manager for the night, a cunt. Still the first and only time I've heard that word used by a wrestling commentator. And I watch JCW.

That Claudio vs Tracy Smothers match had Punk & Dave Prazak in hysterics due to Smothers' old school tweener everybody-dies style and was great fun.

• Paid Members
In an earlier match on that same show Punk called Jade Chung, Claudio Castignoli's manager for the night, a cunt. Still the first and only time I've heard that word used by a wrestling commentator. And I watch JCW.

Was that to do with an angle from ROH when she was in The Embassy and put a sleeper hold on Punk, had no idea how to do it, and almost strangled him?

Was that to do with an angle from ROH when she was in The Embassy and put a sleeper hold on Punk, had no idea how to do it, and almost strangled him?

I haven't heard about that before, was it during the CM Punk vs Jimmy Rave feud?

I remember them having a few really good matches but don't remember Chung getting involved.

The way he was talking during the match, it did seem like a burial of the person rather than a critique of the character.

• Paid Members
Let's lay our cards on the table. Did anyone ever have semi regular conversations with indy wrestlers? A mate of mine ran a fan site of Tony Jones. It think it was Geocities.com/shootertonyjones. Another pal of mine was internet mates with the Necro Butcher and Z-BAR!!!! I myself would regularly chat with any fucker who would have me. Solid Gold Scott Parker, Flash Barker and even Christopher Daniels for a bit. Outback Jack even traded e-mails with me. Me and Tatanka would chat on his old forum, which me and Mickfan had a hand in shutting down (we pretended to be other wrestlers and completely fucked up the flow of the message board). In the early 2000s it seemed more acceptable in the pre-social media world to have a chin wag with wrestlers online. They were more interested back then because it was harder to gain a loyal following.

I just to have some back and forth emailing with Chris Hero. He sent me some copies of his DVDs and I made highlight videos out of them to use for advertising. You can see them here:

and

PWG's Excalibur and Eddie Kingston have messaged me in the passed too about the music videos I used to make. Basically from what I could tell they wanted me to put together highlight videos for them for free. I was such a sad fucker back then that I was happy to do it too.

• Moderators

That reminds me of my favourite Punk burial on commentary.. B-boy t-boned two guys bigger than him both at the same time; Punk's response - a sarcastic "well, my belief is suspended, how about yours?".

B-boy was such a pleather dickhead. I loved the shining wizard as a move but still hated him.

• Paid Members

I always hated CM Punk on commentary on the indies, all he cared about was getting himself over and making smarky insider comments that made him look like a twat (the more things change...).

I remember back in 2001-2002 thinking that Justice Pain was a brilliant wrestler and better than most the guys in WWE. Looking back...fucking hell was that guy awful. His finisher is probably one of the most reckless moves on the indies.

Matches like these felt really special at the time though, people were all over them:

One of my favourite CM Punk on commentary moments is when Foley was doing a ROH appearance. Anyway Foley is there looking like a tramp, chatting absolute shite and then goes "R.O.H Stands for Ring of Hardcore" and then points at the letters whilst saying it. Punk is on commentary burying Foley saying "I have no idea what Mick Foley is on about, I don't know what Ring of Honor he's been watching but it certainly isn't this company. This company is about wrestling". Despite Punk being a twat alot of the time I thought this was brilliant. I'm unsure what ROH event it's from, it might be Glory by Honor 2004? I think..

• Paid Members

Punk did commentary on the 2002 and 2004 IWA King of the Deathgnmatches and he very frequently cracks me up. He clearly isn't a deathmatch fan and there are moments when he just starts ripping the pish out of everyone in amusing fashion with my personal favourite being when Tank hits a rather sloppy looking shining wizard at which point goes "OH MY GOD IT''S SHINING.....carelessness". The guy is just a total riot on those cards. Might very well dig them out tonight actually.

Archived