Indy Wrestling from the late 90s early 2000s

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always hated CM Punk on commentary on the indies, all he cared about was getting himself over and making smarky insider comments that made him look like a twat (the more things change...).

Not just the indies. I remember Punk (IMO) was stinking up WWE Superstars. He was partnered with Scott Stanford.

Now granted, Scott Stanford wasn't the best, but Punk just spent the entire time underminding him. The one that comes to mind was that Stanford (who clearly did a LITTLE research) mentioned how many championships William Regal had won in his career. Punk immediately called him up on it and said "oh yeah... why don't you name those titles." What a unprofessional dick. It was constant.... Punk effectively had two choices... play to Stanford's strengths... or bury him. And he did the latter.

Met the guy a few times backstage at various events... he is a dick. Just a really nasty vibe about him. Odd really... cos I love his face run in the WWE.

• Paid Members

I think he's just been reduced in his role, probably due to the other commitments he has - like Todd Grisham & others before him, he still does "real" news & sports as well as WWE, AFAIK.

He does the "coming up" voiceovers on NXT still, which are obviously done as pre-tapes, and hosted the Wrestlemania pre/post show. He may also do one of the weekend recap shows too. Just doesn't go to the tapings every week anymore, I think, which is why they brought in Dawson & the young lad whose name escapes me.

• Paid Members

Sorry but you dont get any worse on the mic than axl rotton shouting holy fuck because its so much worse than holy shit.

To add some more to cm punk being funny/Dick at the end of the joe vs necro match he is asked if he is sticking around for the czw show. The answer Fuck No

• Paid Members

CZW was the first indy i ever got into and it was a great time to be a fan. Those 2002-2005 shows were fucking blinding. They probably don't hold up well now but i'm sure the sense of nostalgia will be enough to see through some of that bad booking (B-Boy getting a world title shot right after losing the Iron Man Title???), bad curtain jerkers (Hurricane Kid? John Dahmer? GQ? Z-Barr? Ty Street? FUCK OFF) and bad show names (especially that '05 run; 'Liberated: And Coming Full Circle' anyone?). The characters, the big bumps, the vocal crowd and CZW's ability to pick up talented nobody's and turn them into indy darlings kept me coming back for more.

• Moderators

Speaking of CZW and commentary... At some point several years ago, me and a mate bought a job lot of year's worth of CZW shows and slowly worked our way through them. There is one show where they go to Italy which is notable for two amazing feats of wrestlecrap -

- Zandig blowing the budget for himself to come down to the ring on a motorcycle, only to stall or crash in to a post or something and give up and walk.

- The commentator spending half the time being a cheerleader, leading "holy shit" and "asshole" chants instead of calling the match. (And even them I'm only assuming that when he was speaking in Italian he was actually calling the match).

To add some more to cm punk being funny/Dick at the end of the joe vs necro match he is asked if he is sticking around for the czw show. The answer Fuck No

I agree with the people who said that Punk on commentary (indies & WWE) sometimes was detrimental to what was happening in the ring, but the way he said that was hilarious.

• Paid Members

I agree with the people who said that Punk on commentary (indies & WWE) sometimes was detrimental to what was happening in the ring, but the way he said that was hilarious.

I'd go along with that. Especially when he commentated on IWA-MS and CZW because they were/are shit and I didn't care about them anyway.

This era is relatively unknown to me except through playing EWR. So I know a lot of these names but have never seen the bastards wrestle.

You'd always pick up a Scoot Andrews to be the star of your shitty 4th tier fed, or splash out on the Backseat boys to bring some excitement to your tag division. In retrospect the guy writing was such a massive smark that you'd do better with Orlando Jordan than Randy Savage, and Hogan would always retire about a month after you hired him.

• Paid Members

The irony being that the CZW show actually turned out miles better than the IWA:MS show which was basically a one match show with everything else being shite.

When channel 4 stopped showing WWE, I had to rely on watching wrestling at my friends' houses and going on WWF.com which was nowhere near as developed as it is now (I wasn't particularly internet-savvy either).

I don't think the website has ever been as good as it was in 2001. The sub-sites for everyone important were fantastic.

This era is relatively unknown to me except through playing EWR. So I know a lot of these names but have never seen the bastards wrestle.

You'd always pick up a Scoot Andrews to be the star of your shitty 4th tier fed, or splash out on the Backseat boys to bring some excitement to your tag division. In retrospect the guy writing was such a massive smark that you'd do better with Orlando Jordan than Randy Savage, and Hogan would always retire about a month after you hired him.

Yes! That's where my familiarity with so many of these names came from as well. The Backseat Boys, Fleisch and Storm were always top-value buys in EWR. Shelton Benjamin was always a guaranteed success for a main event push, too. The balancing of that game was horrendous, looking back. I wonder if the newer ones are the same way.

Anyhow, that CM Punk commentary sounds alright. From what I've seen of JCW, the best bit is the commentators just taking the piss. NXT season three was some of my favourite wrestling TV ever, and I'd have hated it if the commentators took it super serious. There's a big MST3K aspect to wrestling that I love, that's why I'm a big fan of heel Michael Cole. Are these IWA:MS shows Punk commentated on available online easily enough?

Archived