Indy Wrestling from the late 90s early 2000s

• Moderators

:laugh:

So, around when I first got in to ROH I gotta say I really didn't like Brian Danielson for ages. I found his sumbissions overly convoluted and just couldn't connect with him as a character at all.

Over the years he tried a lot of different things to try to develop a personality and wrestled in a lot of places. The stupidest gimmick he ever did was the Hobbit cloak. What the fuck was that about?

It was only around the time when he had a stint in the UK and was airplane spinning people for a solid minute that I really started to get into him.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The_Messiah_CZW_World.jpg

I thought Messiah looked great with the belt and looked more like a wrestler than alot of the guys on the roster. What happened to him?

I remember looking a few months ago at some CZW guys online and saw a fair few were dead. I can only think of Trent Acid and Brain Damage at the moment. But there is certainly a few more who've died at such a young age.

• Paid Members

He was doing the odd indy date a few years back, but had to jack it in because hitchhiking to and from the arenas is a bit of a bitch these days. I remember listening to an interview from not to long ago which I'm going to dig up and re-listen to. He talks about what he is up to and how if he saw Rob Black he would probably slap him about.

In one of my sadder moments in life I actually Googled "William Welch" off the top of my head without researching it, instead of his ring name "Messiah". I'll have to tell my counselor that this afternoon. That's worrying.

• Paid Members

Xavier also had a pump-handle into sitout faceslam called "Kiss Your X Goodbye" which was cool-looking but safe too.

I remember looking a few months ago at some CZW guys online and saw a fair few were dead. I can only think of Trent Acid and Brain Damage at the moment. But there is certainly a few more who've died at such a young age.

Chris Cash (motorbike accident) and JC Bailey (aneurysm) off the top of my head. Russ Haas, if he counts.

I've just checked the Northern Light Suplex into a rolling "White Noise" (I'm not sure what that move is actually called but will use the name for when Sheamus uses it). Pretty impressive from Burchill but I prefer the Chaos Theory which Doug Williams uses.

Thanks for the info on Messiah I thought he might have been dead. Who did he do his shoot interview with? I wouldn't mind seeing it. It's great knowing wrestlers real names but knowing someone like him who hasn't really done anything for a while is in a different category.

• Paid Members
I've just checked the Northern Light Suplex into a rolling "White Noise" (I'm not sure what that move is actually called but will use the name for when Sheamus uses it).

It's called the Air Raid Crash. I've already mentioned it. In this thread. Twice. Today. Including once referring to the very sequence you just mentioned. In, I'm sure, the post that prompted you to go and look at Burchill's sequence in the first place.

It's the little sister of CIMA's Schwein, the difference being with Schwein the legs of the opponent are over the corresponding shoulder to the side you cradle their head, whereas with the Air Raid Crash/Kryptonite Krunch/White Noise, it's the opposite shoulder.

Schwein :

250px-Schwein.jpg

Air Raid Crash :

Sheamus-white-noise.jpeg

The only head drop moves I ever loved more where the Sunset Driver and Axe Guillotine Driver. All devastating, all reasonably safe to perform if you know what you're doing.

• Paid Members

after ECW closed i was desperate for a new wrestling fix and being that i was always drawn to the hardcore end of pro wrestling the promotions i followed were ECW, XPW and IWA Mid-South. I dabbled with many others but they were the 3 that i followed.

XPW for all it's haters (which was most people) i found very enjoyable. It was the only promotion in which i actually followed the storylines and watched the weekly TV show. The TV show for all it's low budget faults was actually pretty funny, it was bascially set in one building but the skits they did were pretty good. The in-ring stuff was hit and miss but that was much like ECW...to many XPW will always be a terrible ECW ripoff but i got a kick out of it.

CZW and IWA Mid-South were promotions i basically followed for the actual matchups. I always love shows that finish with a deathmatch or a gimmicky affair on top.

I don't actually know when or why i stopped watching really, i think it was probably to do with me getting more interested in MMA with the wrestling slowly taking a back seat, but i can't recall a specific day where i just decided to stop.

Good times.

• Paid Members

IWA Mid South have always been my favourite indy promotion. I'm a massive deathmatch fan and that company catered to that style a lot with several excellent tournaments, but they also excelled at "normal" wrestling as well. The 2004 Ted Petty Invitational is one of my all-time favourite wrestling shows and several of the other tournaments are great as well. Some of the shows would go on to be harmed a bit from very poor attendances but I remember in-ring the action was always highly entertaining. Punk, Hero, Danielson, Black, McGuiness, Delirious, Claudio, Joe, AJ, Low Ki, Necro, Corp, Brain Damage and many other notable names were all once IWA MS regulars.

And there was a point when Nate Webb was the most entertaining man in wrestling to me. I loved that guy. Still do actually.

• Paid Members
The 2004 Ted Petty Invitational is one of my all-time favourite wrestling shows and several of the other tournaments are great as well.

That also features one of my favourite CM Punk commentary lines. The context is fairly spoilerific for anybody that wants to watch the tournament from the start but the punchline is "awwww.... that's a fucking whammy!"

• Paid Members

The first match between Samoa Joe and Necro Butcher is one that I can't help but love. Joe was brilliant around that time, dragging great matches out of everyone he wrestled. Punk commentates on that as well, I think.

• Paid Members

Let's lay our cards on the table. Did anyone ever have semi regular conversations with indy wrestlers? A mate of mine ran a fan site of Tony Jones. It think it was Geocities.com/shootertonyjones. Another pal of mine was internet mates with the Necro Butcher and Z-BAR!!!! I myself would regularly chat with any fucker who would have me. Solid Gold Scott Parker, Flash Barker and even Christopher Daniels for a bit. Outback Jack even traded e-mails with me. Me and Tatanka would chat on his old forum, which me and Mickfan had a hand in shutting down (we pretended to be other wrestlers and completely fucked up the flow of the message board). In the early 2000s it seemed more acceptable in the pre-social media world to have a chin wag with wrestlers online. They were more interested back then because it was harder to gain a loyal following.

• Moderators

Ted DiBiase would always reply. I e-mailed what was apparently Jim Neidhart going "NYAHAHAHAHA! YOU'RE SHIT DADDY! NYAHAHAHAHA!" to which he replied "what does that mean". I doubt it was actually him. But yeah, I'd harass any and all wrestlers with shit questions.

"WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE FOOD? WHAT COLOURS DO YOU LIKE? DO YOU WATCH TV?"

The first match between Samoa Joe and Necro Butcher is one that I can't help but love. Joe was brilliant around that time, dragging great matches out of everyone he wrestled. Punk commentates on that as well, I think.

Punk is fucking ace on that commentary.

"THAT'S MY BEST FRIEND!!" (as Joe fucks up Necro).

Is my favourite botch-fest that one. Five stars.

Archived