Indy Wrestling from the late 90s early 2000s

• Paid Members
I've said this before on here but one thing I hated about ROH back then was Gabe Sapolsky's commentating. I actually was pretty into ROH for a bit but his screachy voice made the shows hard to sit through for me. Especially when he was trying to coin his utterly awful "DANGEROOOUUUS" as a catchphrase whenever someone got dropped on their head, which was a lot.

He was unbearable at times but absolute genius compared to Donnie B., who announced their early shows. Always thought Corino did a pretty good job commentating too it has to be said.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Gabe's commentary was annoying for me because he had Fat Bloke voice. Like, from hearing him speak, you knew he was fat, even without being told he was or seeing a photo. I hope people understand what I'm saying.

Did we ever find out why Homicide blackballed him out of the business? I remember hearing rumours about Homicide's daughter being involved but I don't think it was ever made clear what had happened. Dodgy stuff all around it seems.

Did we ever find out why Homicide blackballed him out of the business? I remember hearing rumours about Homicide's daughter being involved but I don't think it was ever made clear what had happened. Dodgy stuff all around it seems.

Maff tried it on with Homicide's underage daughter, allegedly.

'Cide said this at the time :

"This is the last time you will hear or see me mentioning that jabroni's name again. Dan Maff is done in the wrestling business. Finished. Maff blackballed himself. I did not blackball Maff. Promoters had to pick me or him, and all the promoters picked me because of what Maff did. There is only one side of the story and Maff fucked up and that is why he is done and no one is using him. Maff fucked with my family and fucked with my personal life. Maff is a pedophile. I hope fans can understand this. This shit is personal. This is my life. Maff screwed Maff and blackballed himself because of what he did. No promoter wants to use him because of what he did. Maff is done with wrestling.

I want everyone to know that I hate Dan Maff and I don't respect him. He's a piece of shit. This is my personal life and the last time ever I will mention this guys name again. This is done just like Maff's career. I know fans want to know the whole story but this is very personal and that's all I can say. I know fans want to hear that whole interview, but it's better off not being up there because it's real life. Maff is done."

They are mates again now.

I do remember Paul Burchill being adored by the UK fans. I remember seeing him perform the C4 for the first time and thinking it was the greatest wrestling move I've ever seen.

For me it was rolling Northern Lights suplex into an Air Raid Crash. I used to mark out massively for that move, and it's big sister, Schwein.

• Moderators

Haha.. I loved Gabe's commentary. Me and my buddy used to shout "Dangerooouuus!!!" all the time. (yes, we were twats).

I'm struggling to remember Xavier now.. I'm thinking of the FWA British wrestler by that name.

He was the fairly cut, tall black guy yeah? Quite bland? I think he just seemed a bit more "big time" and WWE-like because of his look and slower style. That's the only reason I can think he was champ. He was probably a decent hand.

• Paid Members
Haha.. I loved Gabe's commentary. Me and my buddy used to shout "Dangerooouuus!!!" all the time. (yes, we were twats).

I'm struggling to remember Xavier now.. I'm thinking of the FWA British wrestler by that name.

He was the fairly cut, tall black guy yeah? Quite bland? I think he just seemed a bit more "big time" and WWE-like because of his look and slower style. That's the only reason I can think he was champ. He was probably a decent hand.

He was. The barricade slappers didn't like him because he didn't do moonsaults off basketball hoops or brainbusters from the top rope. I think he was ROH champion for ages as well.

• Paid Members

He was a decent hand, he's about the only guy I recall getting a relatively loud reaction from a crowd for a Jon Walters match. He knew how to get heat. I always suspected though that his turning and joining the Prophecy and taking the title was 100% to swerve the fans that from the very first card had been conditioned that Ki vs Chris Daniels was the big deal, and with Ki having won the title in the Iron Man match in which Daniels both pinned Ki and was not pinned himself (Low Ki having pinned Doug Williams and Spanky to win his two falls) that a Ki/Daniels title match would be epic and was on the cards.

I think he was ROH champion for ages as well.

He was champion from Unscripted in September 2002 until Night of Champions in March 2003 where he was unseated by a chubby lad named Joe. Considering Low Ki only had the belt 2 months, Xavier's reign seemed like forever. But then of course, Joe's reign actually lasted forever.

To be fair to Xavier, his cheap ways of escaping title defences against the AJ Styles and (especially) Paul Londons of the world built up his heat so when Joe beat him, the fans were ecstatic. Not because they loved Joe yet, but because Xavier had been finally beaten.

The FWA guy was Jack Xavier. Tubby dude who moved really well for his frame at the time. No idea what he's up to now.

I only watched RoH for about a year or so, then it just became the odd match or show. I think the problem was that the fans were used to Danielson, Ki, Styles and people like that, so Xavier was just a dull wrestler in comparison. On a side note, he's a totally sound bloke though. He was very friendly and chatty before a show I was at in NY years ago, and this was not in a meet & greet or "trying to sell me stuff" context. Offered me and my mate a lift to an RoH show. Still, blando wrestler.

The Hit Squad's squashes were brilliant. They properly killed jobbers the way jobbers are meant to be killed.

• Moderators

Yeah, ditto wand - it wasn't what I was looking for when I watched ROH.

The FWA guy was Jack Xavier. Tubby dude who moved really well for his frame at the time. No idea what he's up to now.

Ah that's the one! Cheers. I remember him having a cool finisher, but I can't remember what it was now.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I was the same. Just the worst type of ROHbot you could ever lay your eyes on. I'm sure had I been born a few years later, I would've been spazzing out at WWE taking El Generico's hood off him. I'm genuinely amazed that there are fans out there well into their thirties who haven't grown out of this line of thinking.

• Paid Members
At the time though I was quite into the flippers, the floppers and the head-droppers. :/

Yeah, that's me all over. The match that got me into Indy was Ki vs Styles at Night of Appreciation. When I saw Styles take Ki from the Canadian backbreaker position down into a DDT I thought "Jesus Christ." It was the innovation, it was doing things I'd never seen before like AJ doing a nip up into a rana, or Ki performing the Tidal Krush. It was a flashback to watching cruiserweights on Nitro and thinking "WOW, I've never seen that before."

And also Danielson wriggling around on the floor with a million different ways of getting into an armbar.

Beef Wellington was dreadful. Does he wrestle for Chikara these days?

I recently brought up Johnny Storm during the ROH thread after I watched ROH Frontiers of Honor 2003 and really enjoyed his match with styles. After looking at his Wikipedia I found the bloke worked abit for PWG. Is his PWG stuff worth checking out? I saw that he had a match against Super Dragon which is something I'd like to see. I don't mind Super Dragon.

I remember when I first liked CZW I really liked Messiah and Wifebeater. I cannot really remember what exactly I liked but I did. Messiah as CZW WHC was alright aswell.

• Paid Members

Messiah was a bit shit as champion I thought. He really hit his stride as the leader of HIV though. Great little faction they were. I'm sure you remember that Cage of Death 5 main event! Most definitely CZW's best top to bottom show ever.

Archived