Devon Malcolm's Foreign Film Ponce-A-Rama

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
[about Nick Cave] The way he weaves themes from his music and his own sounds into the film is amazing. I reckon he'd be a great director as well.

Apparently he's doing a rewrite for the remake of The Crow. I'm interested.

Did you read about his Gladitaor 2 script?

The whole script seems to be on that link, I didn't read it but the story outline is mental

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Moderators
[about Nick Cave] The way he weaves themes from his music and his own sounds into the film is amazing. I reckon he'd be a great director as well.

Apparently he's doing a rewrite for the remake of The Crow. I'm interested.

Did you read about his Gladitaor 2 script?

The whole script seems to be on that link, I didn't read it but the story outline is mental

It's not so mental as the outline makes it sound.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It's been ages since I read it, but from memory, aside from the weird (and interesting) afterlife stuff at the beginning, it settles into a pretty normal storyline where he has to help his buddy from the first one, which plays like your typical "lowly village surfs vs. evil ruler" deal. All that stuff people latch onto about Cave's script, about Maximus being in Nam, Iraq and the Pentagon would literally just be the final minute of the movie, if that. You don't 'see' it, other than single-shot flashes at the end, and the final scene is him washing his hands in a bathroom, which is revealed to be the bathroom of the Pentagon.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I saw another Cave interview where he talked about a draft where Maximus was fighting Krakens and other mythical stuff. Gladiator 2 isn't that great, and Cave tends to churn his scripts out really quickly, but the one floating around online is probably a first or second draft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

For fans of films where nothing happens, I recommend Neighboring Sounds, which is now on US Netflix. It's a Brazilian one about an upper-middle class neighbourhood. I really enjoyed it. But it makes Lost In Translation look like Commando, so be warned.

• Paid Members

Watched Mario Bava's lost movie, Rabid Dogs/Semaphoro Rosso (it was the US version, called Kidnapped, which is a slight reedit, apparently. It was blinding - tough, claustrophobic, and very uncompromising. I remember hearing that it was an influence on Reservoir Dogs, although I have no idea how - it's a heist drama, true, but isn't that similar, and I don't think it was even available to watch till 1998.

• Paid Members

I watched Rabid Dogs recently and I have to say that I hated it. I thought it was really boring. I'm not sure I'm going to really get on with Bava judging by the couple I've seen from him so far, I thought Bay Of Blood was dull as well.

• Paid Members

I didn't like Bay of Blood either - watch Blood and Black Lace, or Danger: Diabolik. The one area I think that present day reviewers were giving Bava too much credit is in saying that it's a really crimey movie - I know I said it's a heist drama, but I think I overplayed that. It's a lot more similar to the many ripoffs/homages (YMMV) of Last House on the Left, oddly the kind of film that I'm probably most familiar with - odd, because I think that the original is crap, and many of the xeroxes are infinitely better. There's a definite David Hess vibe to 32 and Blades, and it reminds me of Hitch-Hike, with the Hessmeister himself.

• Paid Members

There are a couple of other things from him that I'm interested in seeing so I'll add that to my list. Don't fancy Danger: Diabolik although I liked the Body Movin' video that the Beastie Boys did that was an homage to it.

On a different note, I'm going to watch World On A Wire as it sounds absolutely ace. Not sure I'll manage the whole 200 minutes tonight but it was originally released in two parts anyway.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I just watched "The Skin That I Live In"

Fucking hell, that was a disturbing film. The best horror is the ones where you don't see anything. I take it you've seen it, D-Mal?

Cracking movie. How something can go from funny to horrific so naturally is amazing. The twist was a surprise when I thought films could no longer catch me out. Plus Elena Anaya.

• Paid Members
I just watched "The Skin That I Live In"

Fucking hell, that was a disturbing film. The best horror is the ones where you don't see anything. I take it you've seen it, D-Mal?

I haven't! It's on my list, though, I think it's on Netflix. I absolutely loved Eyes Without A Face, so if it's half as good as that then it should be great.

Just like to echo the Elena Anaya love. Absolutely gorgeous but also a fine actress - she was superb in a French thriller called Point Blank that everyone should track down.

• 3 years later...
  • Paid Members

Bumping this after three and a half years (!) to mention something.

In a few weeks time there's an action film out with Jamie Foxx in it called Sleepless. It'll probably be shite (I don't like Foxx) but I'll probably go and see it anyway. But it's based on a corking French action thriller called Sleepless Night. Got very little attention when it was released a few years ago but it's absolutely great and I recommend it highly. It used to be on Netflix but it's pretty easy to find it if you traverse Fmovies or 123Movies etc.