Devon Malcolm's Foreign Film Ponce-A-Rama

Devon Malcolm

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

A general recommendation to the thread is one of my dad's favourite films of all time, State of Siege (État de Siège) by the great Yves Montand. Set in a corrupt, fascist state in South America (heavily implied to be Uruguay), it centres around the kidnapping of a purported American diplomat by anti-government revolutionary operatives who believe he's actually been brought in to train the police in torture and wet-work.

I'll have to track that down.  I like Yves Montand almost as much as he liked his stepdaughter.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

I'll have to track that down.  I like Yves Montand almost as much as he liked his stepdaughter.

Fucking hell. I didn't know about that, just looked it up. Ugh. 

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

It gets a cinema run in a couple of months over here but I checked out Bacurau last night and it's fantastic. A sort of offbeat Brazilian western crossed with Hard Target with Udo Kier unexpectedly popping up. One of the co-directors, Kleber Mendonca Filho, also made Neighbouring Sounds and Aquarius, both brilliant films too.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

For the particular attention of @Keith Houchen, just watched a French film called Lourdes which is really excellent but perhaps most notable for Lea Seydoux playing a nun and doing some karaoke.

This type of information is reckless during a toilet-paper and tissue shortage.

Edited by Chris B

Watched a French film called Revenge just now, it's a rape revenge movie but directed by a woman, although I'm not sure it leant into the feminist side as much as I'd like. It still felt like a gratuitious exploitation flick at times and not too unlike something from old Gaspar, there were even a direct nod or two to him in there. It's pretty slick and stylish as hell and seeing her hunt the scum down so viciously is fun still.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Watched a French film called Revenge just now, it's a rape revenge movie but directed by a woman, although I'm not sure it leant into the feminist side as much as I'd like. It still felt like a gratuitious exploitation flick at times and not too unlike something from old Gaspar, there were even a direct nod or two to him in there. It's pretty slick and stylish as hell and seeing her hunt the scum down so viciously is fun still.

I wasn't a fan of this at all, but I'm not a fan of that genre as a whole. The lead bloke in it is one of the worst actors I've seen.

14 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I wasn't a fan of this at all, but I'm not a fan of that genre as a whole. The lead bloke in it is one of the worst actors I've seen.

I'm not surprised, I don't think many here would like it and I'll likely sour on it more myself.

I was going through my unwatched list of videos and fell on Tenderness of the Wolves.. think I'll find something a little more uplifting.

• Paid Members

Their line-up right now is spectacular, there's no better time to jump in. There's a few of Melville's best films (Le Cercle Rouge, Le Doulos and Army of Shadows especially), a couple of Bergmans, De Palma's Sisters (one of his very best), a recovered documentary about Sterling Hayden, and Neighbouring Sounds and the brilliant Bacurau, the latter of which is fresh out. The former is one of my favourite films of all time.

And yeah, there's the Vengeance trilogy too although I'm not a big fan. It's a stunning selection for the money, and a few that I'm really looking forward to seeing.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This is an absolutely lovely film that I'd recommend to everyone. Celine Sciamma being the director of Portrait of a Woman on Fire, by the way.

Is there a way to watch that without being a pirate? I've been dying to see it since last year.