Devon Malcolm's Foreign Film Ponce-A-Rama

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

That's the problem really. I'm up for anything. Always had a varied taste. So happy to try anything anyone rates highly on there!

For a variety, start with Portrait of a Lady on Fire, then try Mother (it's the Korean one), Gimme the Loot, Army of Shadows and Persepolis. All brilliant films but all very different.

• Paid Members

On Mubi, if you can get your hands on a decent VPN (what's a good working one right now?) then their country variations in terms of catalogues are quite large. Gets you even more value out of your free year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 5/23/2020 at 3:50 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Bacurau is brilliant. If you like it, @Lorne Malvo, I highly recommend Neighbouring Sounds and Aquarius from Kleber Mendonca Filho as well.

Forgot to mention on here but I loved Bacurau! I've added the two mentioned to my watchlist.

A few others I've watched recently;

Weathering With You - anime from the director of Your Name which is apparently brilliant, I couldn't get on with this at all though. Looks gorgeous and a great soundtrack but the story and execution of it is pants.

Why Don't You Just Die! - This is a riot. Funny, violent (some of the fight scenes actually reminded me of Bottom in how daft they were) with a decent enough twisty plot to keep you intrigued. Runs out of steam a little in the last 20 minutes as these films tend to do but still definitely worth a watch.

• Paid Members

Tokyo Story (1953) BFI Player - Lovely film. I was initially intimidated by the 2hrs 16min run time but seeing as it's regarded as a classic I went with it. It's interesting to get a glimpse into 50s Japanese culture and remarkable just how relatable it is to our own even now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

APT. (YouTube)

K-horror film. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Tag (Amazon Prime)

I don't really like Sion Sono and this did nothing to change my mind. Great opening scene followed by tons of aimless gore and a ridiculous ending. Tedious.

Madam City Hunter (YouTube)

Early 90s Hong Kong actioner with Cynthia Khan and Anthony Wong. Great start, great ending, tons of crappy farce comedy in the middle. Not an unusual formula for a Hong Kong action film but still irritating.

Julia's Eyes (YouTube)

Decent Spanish horror-thriller about a woman with deteriorating eyesight trying to find out what happened to her twin sister. The final third is ace, even if it overdoes the plot and goes about 15 minutes too long.

I'm a bit of a Sono fan but do find him pretty hit and miss at times and can see others not being a fan.

Speaking of Prime I only lasted one episode of the Vampire series he did that's on there. He's at his try hard worst with that rubbish.

Tokyo Vampire Hotel I think it's called.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

EXIT (KissAsian)

Korean action-thriller / disaster film about a district of Seoul being polluted by a deadly and rising gas that two people fight to try and stay above. Possibly the most fun film I've watched all year, the sort of film it's impossible to go wrong with. Perfect Saturday night fare.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

#Alive (Netflix)

Netflix's new Korean zombie film continues the genre's revival by being reasonably original and featuring two really engaging leads. Not as good as Train to Busan but it's been good to see some actually good zombie films the last few years.

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (nefarious means)

I think this is proof that a film can be too ridiculous even for me but you can't argue too much with a film where a guy strangles someone with his own intestines.

From Beijing with Love (YouTube)

Piis poor Bond parody that, as usual with Stephen Chow, who's fucking crap, features a stupid, serious tone shift halfway through that nobody asked for. One or two decent action scenes but Chow isn't funny or good and I'm not watching any more of his shit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Memories of Murder (cinema)

Wasn't a huge fan of this first time round, very much am now. Maybe you just need to be used to Bong's slightly weird take on tone. I don't know, but it's brilliant and features the most amount of dropkicks ever thrown in a crime film, surely.