Devon Malcolm's Foreign Film Ponce-A-Rama

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Rossman said:

Had a flick through Mubi. I thought they only showed the few films they had on their homepage. There's loads of amazing films in their library.

I watched The Servant last week. Dirk Bogarde stars as the titular character in a psychological drama / thriller. Very impressed with Joseph Losey's direction.

Purple Noon was another film I really enjoyed. The original Talented Mr. Ripley. Alain Delon pours charisma in this, sanctimonious levels of cool. A Mediterranean stylish crime thriller.

They had a Joseph Losey season recently. The Go-Between is great, as is Mr. Klein and Accident, but Eva was shit. Great director though, The Criminal was excellent too but I'd say The Servant was his best.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This type of information is reckless during a toilet-paper and tissue shortage.

Double post but Mubi is currently a quid for three months, Park Chan-wook's Vengeance trilogy are all on there, too.

This is an absolutely lovely film that I'd recommend to everyone. Celine Sciamma being the director of Portrait of a Woman on Fire, by the way.

3 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Thanks very much!  Now to set a reminder to cancel the Scribd subscription in a month!!

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Thanks for the tip. No idea where to start now.

A Portrait of a Lady On fire

It's probably the most high profile recent film they have on there but it's absolutely gorgeous, easily one of the best 2019 films I've seen.

5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Thanks very much!  Now to set a reminder to cancel the Scribd subscription in a month!!

You can cancel it right away and still have the sub run until June.

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What sort of thing you looking for?

That's the problem really. I'm up for anything. Always had a varied taste. So happy to try anything anyone rates highly on there!

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

That's the problem really. I'm up for anything. Always had a varied taste. So happy to try anything anyone rates highly on there!

For a variety, start with Portrait of a Lady on Fire, then try Mother (it's the Korean one), Gimme the Loot, Army of Shadows and Persepolis. All brilliant films but all very different.

• Paid Members

On Mubi, if you can get your hands on a decent VPN (what's a good working one right now?) then their country variations in terms of catalogues are quite large. Gets you even more value out of your free year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Mubi just added the superb Woman at War, one of the best films I saw last year. A sort of black comedy eco-thriller, it's just fantastic.

On 5/23/2020 at 3:50 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Bacurau is brilliant. If you like it, @Lorne Malvo, I highly recommend Neighbouring Sounds and Aquarius from Kleber Mendonca Filho as well.

Forgot to mention on here but I loved Bacurau! I've added the two mentioned to my watchlist.

A few others I've watched recently;

Weathering With You - anime from the director of Your Name which is apparently brilliant, I couldn't get on with this at all though. Looks gorgeous and a great soundtrack but the story and execution of it is pants.

Why Don't You Just Die! - This is a riot. Funny, violent (some of the fight scenes actually reminded me of Bottom in how daft they were) with a decent enough twisty plot to keep you intrigued. Runs out of steam a little in the last 20 minutes as these films tend to do but still definitely worth a watch.

• Paid Members

Tokyo Story (1953) BFI Player - Lovely film. I was initially intimidated by the 2hrs 16min run time but seeing as it's regarded as a classic I went with it. It's interesting to get a glimpse into 50s Japanese culture and remarkable just how relatable it is to our own even now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

If I didn't already own it, Love appearing on Mubi would have filled the nudity quota for the next few months.  Instead I'm enjoying Frank this morning before it disappears at midnight.

Edited by johnnyboy
  • Paid Members

APT. (YouTube)

K-horror film. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Tag (Amazon Prime)

I don't really like Sion Sono and this did nothing to change my mind. Great opening scene followed by tons of aimless gore and a ridiculous ending. Tedious.

Madam City Hunter (YouTube)

Early 90s Hong Kong actioner with Cynthia Khan and Anthony Wong. Great start, great ending, tons of crappy farce comedy in the middle. Not an unusual formula for a Hong Kong action film but still irritating.

Julia's Eyes (YouTube)

Decent Spanish horror-thriller about a woman with deteriorating eyesight trying to find out what happened to her twin sister. The final third is ace, even if it overdoes the plot and goes about 15 minutes too long.

I'm a bit of a Sono fan but do find him pretty hit and miss at times and can see others not being a fan.

Speaking of Prime I only lasted one episode of the Vampire series he did that's on there. He's at his try hard worst with that rubbish.

Tokyo Vampire Hotel I think it's called.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

EXIT (KissAsian)

Korean action-thriller / disaster film about a district of Seoul being polluted by a deadly and rising gas that two people fight to try and stay above. Possibly the most fun film I've watched all year, the sort of film it's impossible to go wrong with. Perfect Saturday night fare.