Devon Malcolm's Foreign Film Ponce-A-Rama

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Full Time (2021)

A really difficult watch for me, personally, because of how intensely it portrays the difficulties of being a single parent, but I can't deny that it works superbly as a social thriller and is a ride and a half until slightly stumbling at the end. Really, really good.

Manticore

Another difficult watch but for waaaaaaaay different reasons. Sadly, it overreaches in its final 20 minutes but to that point it's horrifying and compelling if you're prepared to be made very angry and miserable.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Society of the Snow (Netflix)

Absolutely no idea why this is being spoken of so highly. Standard survival drama that they already did 30 years ago with Alive. Goes on forever as well.

Concrete Utopia

South Korea have made a batch of really good disaster films over the last several years and this is quite good, too. A bit like High Rise except not directed by a complete pillock.

Afire (Mubi)

German director Christian Petzold has become one of my favourites over the last few years but this is his first misfire. Awkward mix of romantic drama and impending disaster film. Paula Beer is one of the best and hottest actresses in Europe though, so there is that.

Passengers of the Night

As I get old(er) I'm seeking out more and more of these sorts of gentle dramas about nice people doing nice things for each other and just getting on with life and overcoming struggles. Really pleasant with a superb Charlotte Gainsbourg performance.

Other People's Children

Much as above, except you can replace Charlotte Gainsbourg with Virginie Efira. Lovely.

Wingwomen (Netflix)

Fun action comedy with the added bonus that you get to look at Melanie Laurent and Adele Exarchopoulos' faces for an hour and a half. Chases one or two too many subplots but Laurent is a really good director as well as actress.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Childe

Superb Korean neo-noir actioner that switches character focus beautifully halfway through and barely stops for the whole running time. Like if John Woo directed Frantic. Cracking.

You Won't Be Alone

Macedonian folk horror! A predictable crowd-pleaser - grim and depressing for the most part but also occasionally lovelier than you'd expect from a witch possession film. Only downside - only a short appearance from Noomi Rapace. @Scott Malbranque take note.

El Conde (Netflix)

Disappointing satirical horror about General Pinochet being a vampire. A great idea that becomes boring after a while. Expected better from Pablo Larrain but it's the first misstep of his excellent career.