Devon Malcolm's Foreign Film Ponce-A-Rama

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Revolver (Prime)

Might be of interest to @Scott Malbranque who I know loves a polizioteschi, and anybody who's an Oliver Reed fan. Ollie gets dragged halfway round Italy in pursuit of his kidnapped wife, goes predictably mad, and it's as enjoyable as that sounds.

O D-Mal, you doth know me o too well.
What a movie. And it's one I'm going to watch tomorrow as a result of you rattling the memory banks.
I got fierce giddy and jiggy in me seat when I heard the theme for this pop up in Inglorious Basterds when I saw the latter in the flicks. When it happened, I turned to her for a knowing look of approval but was just met with the usual glare of confusion and apathy.
Like the time when we saw Split in the flicks and when I heard the Unbreakable theme and realised what was happening I grabbed her by the crown and started shaking her head side to side like it was Rocky 3 or 4, and I was Paulie and she was Duke.

Also, I have no idea why, but Oliver Reed will always, and forevermore remind me of our Butcher/ @PowerButchi.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

O D-Mal, you doth know me o too well.
What a movie. And it's one I'm going to watch tomorrow as a result of you rattling the memory banks.
I got fierce giddy and jiggy in me seat when I heard the theme for this pop up in Inglorious Basterds when I saw the latter in the flicks. When it happened, I turned to her for a knowing look of approval but was just met with the usual glare of confusion and apathy.
Like the time when we saw Split in the flicks and when I heard the Unbreakable theme and realised what was happening I grabbed her by the crown and started shaking her head side to side like it was Rocky 3 or 4, and I was Paulie and she was Duke.

Also, I have no idea why, but Oliver Reed will always, and forevermore remind me of our Butcher/ @PowerButchi.

Ahh, I don't think I've watched an Italian crime flick you haven't seen yet! One day, though, I'm sure!

Ollie's great in this, isn't he? Half his career he couldn't be arsed at all but in this he's really engaged and I reckon this is one of his best performances.

• Paid Members

Apples (cinema)

Greece keeps knocking out these weird, wonky black comedies, with varying success. But this is one of their very best - a great and prescient concept that becomes something a lot more touching by its end. Really, really good.

Anything for Her 

From the same guy who did the superb French action-thriller Point Blank (remade badly last year for Netflix), another outstanding crime flick with a great turn from Diane Kruger especially. Highly recommended.

Bleeder 

You can usually rely on Refn's Danish films to deliver but this doesn't. Great performances (especially from a young Mads) aside, this is unnecessarily bleak and unpleasant and the humour doesn't land at all. Not a patch on his three Pusher films, which are all excellent, especially the third one.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Another Round (cinema)

Well worth the near year-long resistance to watching it online. Probably Vinterberg's best since Festen, and like all his best films, is a lot more than it looks on the surface. Everybody loves Mads and he's splendid here but Thomas Bo Larsen, one of Europe's great character actors, steals the show. Slow building, anxiety inducing and one of the best of the last few years.

• Paid Members

Deerskin (cinema)

Mr. Oizo made a film about Jean Dujardin becoming so obsessed with a jacket that he will not allow any other jackets in the world. Obviously it's completely normal and not even slightly daft. Loved it.

The Big Risk

Brilliant early 60s French crime film that completely ignores the French New Wave, thankfully, and would go on to influence the likes of The Friends of Eddie Coyle and Le Samourai. Superb.

The Heist of the Century

Enjoyable Argentinian crime comedy based on the 2006 Buenos Aires bank heist. Maybe a bit too much comedy at times but a really easy watch.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Deerskin (cinema)

Mr. Oizo made a film about Jean Dujardin becoming so obsessed with a jacket that he will not allow any other jackets in the world. Obviously it's completely normal and not even slightly daft. Loved it.

The Big Risk

Brilliant early 60s French crime film that completely ignores the French New Wave, thankfully, and would go on to influence the likes of The Friends of Eddie Coyle and Le Samourai. Superb.

The Heist of the Century

Enjoyable Argentinian crime comedy based on the 2006 Buenos Aires bank heist. Maybe a bit too much comedy at times but a really easy watch.

I know nothing of Deerskin except Jean Dujardin was in it, but as it’s on at my local I’d already booked myself in for next week. Sounds like I’m in for a treat.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I know nothing of Deerskin except Jean Dujardin was in it, but as it’s on at my local I’d already booked myself in for next week. Sounds like I’m in for a treat.

I hadn't heard of it before this week when I saw it in the local arthouse den's schedule. Dupieux is a nutter so if you've seen any of his stuff you know what to expect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 7/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Another Round (cinema)

Well worth the near year-long resistance to watching it online. Probably Vinterberg's best since Festen, and like all his best films, is a lot more than it looks on the surface. Everybody loves Mads and he's splendid here but Thomas Bo Larsen, one of Europe's great character actors, steals the show. Slow building, anxiety inducing and one of the best of the last few years.

This has been stuck in my head since I saw it last week. Absolutely stunning film. The acting is top-notch, but what's amazing is how ambiguous so much of it is. Outside of one line, they never really batter you over the head with stuff. Some of the morals and humour are there for you to work out - there's one scene that is either funny or absolutely horrific. And the ending is joyous or awful depending on how you interpret it. Struck many, many nerves with regards to its portrayal of men not communicating about things as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Harakiri

It's so weird that probably the best samurai film ever made was released at the time when Akira Kurosawa's name totally dominated Japanese cinema, and yet it wasn't made by him. One of the most perfectly paced films I've ever seen - utterly beautiful, well acted, and with a story that's comparatively small but draws you in and soon feels huge. Incredible stuff.

Fitzcarraldo (Amazon Prime)

I spent most of this watching the expressions of people in the background of Klaus Kinski shots to see how much they hated him. Adds even more to a great adventure film with an obviously loony concept and history to it. Would make a great companion piece with The Mosquito Coast.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

The Medium (Shudder)

Thai found footage horror film that is possibly the best example of the genre I've seen since [REC]. I feared for it (and myself) when I saw it was 130 minutes long but it earns every single one of them. The last half an hour is incredible. Some great stuff about Thai culture and shaman mythology too. One of the best films of the year.

Wildland (Prime - rental)

Danish crime drama about a girl who gets lumbered with living with her loan shark family, with it inevitably turning tragic. Doesn't quite expand its ideas enough for it to be truly great but it's very well acted and really sticks the ending.

Undine 

From the guy who directed Phoenix and Transit, a weird little romantic-drama loosely based around an ancient European sea legend. Pretty unassuming stuff but nicely built and Paula Beer is one of the best actresses in Europe right now.

• Paid Members

Riders of Justice 

Between this and Another Round, Mads Mikkelsen would get two best actor Oscar nominations if they mattered a shit. I love this director (Anders Thomas Jensen) and he always makes weird, black comedy stuff like this (Men & Chicken is great) but this is his best so far. Nothing quite like it out there.

Mandibles

Mr. Oizo's latest mental comedy, this time about two lads who try to domesticate a giant fly. This guy's not all there, and I hope it stays that way. Not quite as good as Deerskin or Rubber but still really funny.

• Paid Members

Raging Fire (cinema)

Can't remember who's the big Donnie Yen fan round here (is it you, @Nostalgia Nonce?) but I'm sure they'll be as pleased as I was with how brisk and crunching an actioner this is. No idea why it's showing at so many cinemas but it's a contender for best action film of the year.

Lamb 

Mine and @Scott Malbranque favourite Noomi Rapace finds an.... interesting newborn lamb on her farm in Iceland. Can't decide if this is being serious or not but it was certainly memorable and I really liked it, weirdly.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Didn't even know that was out yet, D-Mal. All over it tonight so, as I never not swoon when I see our Noomi. 

Yeah, you should be able to find it in the usual disreputable places, as I did.