Devon Malcolm's Foreign Film Ponce-A-Rama

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Well I don't like French New Wave at all so I'm not the person to turn to for that sort of thing, nor have I seen any Fellini. But I do highly recommend pretty much anything by Akira Kurosawa, you can almost never go wrong with any of his. For something a bit more modern, Kieslowski's Three Colours trilogy and The Double Life Of Veronique are essential. Early Polanski is great too - Knife In The Water is stunning.

• 2 years later...
  • Paid Members
On 8/24/2017 at 3:06 PM, Keith Houchen said:

The best Kurosawa is also the best Shakespeare adaptation, Throne Of Blood.

Saw this a few weeks ago, and holy shit. It's SUPERB. Macbeth really isn't a favourite of mine either, but this is wonderful.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Speaking of Kurosawa, albeit Kiyoshi, I watched Cure last night. Possibly the best film I've seen for the first time this year. It's on YouTube in full and with subs but not in HD for you Ultra 4K ponces like Loki.

Ā 

• Paid Members
On 9/9/2019 at 4:42 PM, Chris B said:

Saw this a few weeks ago, and holy shit. It's SUPERB. Macbeth really isn't a favourite of mine either, but this is wonderful.

His adaptation ofĀ King Lear, titledĀ Ran, is also excellent. Highly recommended.

A general recommendation to the thread is one of my dad's favourite films of all time,Ā State of SiegeĀ (Ɖtat de SiĆØge) by the great Yves Montand.Ā Set in a corrupt, fascist state in South America (heavily implied to be Uruguay), it centres around the kidnapping of a purported American diplomat by anti-government revolutionary operatives who believe he's actually been brought in to train the police in torture and wet-work.

It's a tremendous film, and the thing that stood out most to me was the fact that it is highly unusual in that there is no real main protagonist - none of the revolutionaries get all that much in terms of character development or depth, we only see them in the context of the kidnapping and subsequent interrogation -Ā but it still works.Ā 

It does move slowly, but it's engrossing. A very intriguing film.

Edited by Carbomb

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Speaking of Kurosawa, albeit Kiyoshi, I watched Cure last night. Possibly the best film I've seen for the first time this year. It's on YouTube in full and with subs but not in HD for you Ultra 4K ponces like Loki.

Ā 

If you enjoyed Cure (I have it on Blu-ray) then you might want to check out Pulse which was directed by the same guy. Great atmosphere, though perhaps slightly dated now.

Just avoid the laughingly naff US remake. And I'm assuming it's sequels.