Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Moderators
One thing I did enjoy and hope it opens up a new arc, but it seemed so throw away somehow, was the blind Maester revealing he's of Targaryan blood!

Have you just started watching from the start then? That was revealed shortly before Ned lost his head.

That is one of my biggest annoyances with GoT. There's simply too much to keep straight in your head. I don't think I have a poor memory for such things, but I'm constantly struggling to remember who is who and what the connections are.

Regarding last weeks episode, I didn't think it was all that good. Decent for what it was, but I found myself wanting the episode to end. Just felt like going through the motions somewhat.

• Paid Members
That is one of my biggest annoyances with GoT. There's simply too much to keep straight in your head. I don't think I have a poor memory for such things, but I'm constantly struggling to remember who is who and what the connections are.

It's worse now the cast is so spread out with a myriad of supporting players that drift in and out. I imagine a lot of people didn't remember who Hot Pie was upon sight when Brienne and Pod stopped at that inn, or recognized Janos Slynt from his role in S2 when he was sat with Maester Aemon and Thorne earlier on. I despaired at how long into S3 it went before we saw Yara (final episode). It's depressing how little time on screen a major character like Jaime has had this year as a consequence.

Think back to S1 when you basically only had to worry about Winterfell, Kings Landing, The Wall, Dany across the Narrow Sea and occasonally one group or t'other on the road/camp/in The Vale. Compare to now. Understandable given the source material, but a shame that while in previous years you might go one episode without seeing your favourite, you're now not guaranteed to see them in two.

I've never found it as confusing as the first episodes of season one. I remember watching the first one or two and googling a family tree to see how everyone was involved. Although I might forget a lot more if it weren't for this thread. As I type this, I can't remember anything The Mountain ever did before this new guy played him.

• Paid Members

I honestly can not remember that being revealed in previous episodes.

The worst thing I find about GoT is it's also neigh on impossible to research characters as spoilers come up everywhere.

I am so looking forward to watching from the start again.

I've never found it as confusing as the first episodes of season one. I remember watching the first one or two and googling a family tree to see how everyone was involved. Although I might forget a lot more if it weren't for this thread. As I type this, I can't remember anything The Mountain ever did before this new guy played him.

You don't remember him chopping off his horses head then having a mini show down with The Hound? As far as character introductions go it was brief but pretty memorable.

• Paid Members

To be fair, I couldn't remember a thing abouy him either, I remember the scene, just no recollection of The Mountain. Add the impossible nature of searching for him without spoilers ramming your eyes like knitting needles and it's easy to forget so much.

• Paid Members

The worst thing I find about GoT is it's also neigh on impossible to research characters as spoilers come up everywhere.

Game of Thrones wikia is your friend. US TV pace and absolutely no book spoilers. I've spent hours trawling through that site.

The episode with Jon and Aemon was when Jon first found out Robb was going to war, I think. Aemon told him he had to make a choice and that he did the same many years ago. He then described events to Jon that turned out to be Rhaeger's children being slaughtered (by The Mountain, as Oberyn found out the hard way last week) and his nephew (Aerys) being slain whilst he was stuck at The Wall, Jon then said 'You're Aemon Targaeryan'. That was a really good scene.

• Paid Members

I am so looking forward to watching from the start again.

I find that I've never been spoiled by this wiki. Never go to wiki of Fire and Ice, though.

EDIT - Punkstep is very special.

Edited by Bill Diarrhea

You don't remember him chopping off his horses head then having a mini show down with The Hound? As far as character introductions go it was brief but pretty memorable.

I've just watched it on Youtube now. I only vaguely remember it, more Loras than anything else.

• Paid Members
I've never found it as confusing as the first episodes of season one. I remember watching the first one or two and googling a family tree to see how everyone was involved.

I did this, and had the Red Wedding spoiled for me.

I'm missing Jaqen right now, he was such an awesome character but vanished after leaving Arya and even if he does come back he'll most likely be someone else as he's a shapeshifter.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I'm also wishing that the Oberyn that died was a Faceless Man.. It helps me sleep at night imagining that.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Moderators

I don't remember half the shit they say or the characters they introduce but I found I started enjoying the show more when I stopped caring about trying to remember everything, just enjoyed it and trust that they'll remind me of important stuff if it's particularly relevant to the story. Fuck the subtext and subtle nods and references...