UFC 159: 'Jones vs Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we get closer to fight time I'm getting more amped up for Phil Davis vs. Vinny Magalhaes. Both guys have gone back and forth disparaging each other's skill sets lately in interviews, y'know, wrestling vs. jiu-jitsu, my submissions are better than your submissions, and there seems to be a lot of bad blood there. It'd be a bit funny to see them stand and trade after all that talk, but I'd pick Davis to win a stand up battle. It's an intriguing fight because a win is significant for both guys, having either guy's name on your resume will boost you up.

I think I've pinpointed why I'm not enamoured with this card, besides the Sonnen stuff I've repeated ad nauseam. It's that the benefit of victory really only means a lot for one party in several circumstances. It would mean a lot for Sonnen to beat Jones, but Jones beating Sonnen would be just another name- and one of his least decorated. Bisping beating Belcher would just hold his ranking position, while it would be a signature career victory for Belcher- same for Miller/Healy. Kongo has been a gatekeeper for so long that Nelson beating him would just be the status quo, but Kongo beating Big Country in spectacular fashion may be the last chance Kongo has to do something significant in the heavyweight division.

Natural, Jim Miller is one of those really underrated guys in the UFC, even after the Lauzon fight which is a massive shame. He's been a favourite of mine for ages as well.

Natural, Jim Miller is one of those really underrated guys in the UFC, even after the Lauzon fight which is a massive shame. He's been a favourite of mine for ages as well.

Nice to see a fellow Jim Miller fan. Be nice to see him get on a run again. Miller's lost to the top guys (Edgar, Maynard, Benson and Nate Diaz). I was sad after the Diaz loss.

As good as Sonnen is at self-promotion in 2013, it is all a bit OTT. Watch this in 2010 leading to the first Anderson fight -

It is distinctly more serious, straight forward and less of a parody. Do not get me wrong I love Sonnen now, but I prefer the less cartoon like trash talk he favored in 2010 to now.

As great as he can be with hyping you for a fight, for me he will never top the first Anderson fight.

• Paid Members

Genius...

Love these. He's not for everyone but I love Chael's schtik most of the time. I agree with Jim that he was better with it against Anderson though, I think just because that rivalry built up over a long time and the stuff he was saying, while some of it was tongue-in-cheek, was from the heart and came more naturally. This Jones stuff isn't the same, he clearly likes Jones and his trash talk comes across more forced and jokey. He definitely hams it up too much sometimes but on the whole he's a fun personality to have in MMA.

As good as Sonnen is at self-promotion in 2013, it is all a bit OTT. Watch this in 2010 leading to the first Anderson fight -

It is distinctly more serious, straight forward and less of a parody. Do not get me wrong I love Sonnen now, but I prefer the less cartoon like trash talk he favored in 2010 to now.

As great as he can be with hyping you for a fight, for me he will never top the first Anderson fight.

I agree, he'll never surpass the build to the first Anderson Silva fight. That's one of my favourite MMA hype videos towards a fight. Speaking of hype, remember how excited we all were in the UFC 148 thread for Silva/Sonnen II?

My contribution to the Chael Sonnen love:

http://chaelsonnensaidso.com/

Yeah, looking back I was as hyped for the 2nd Anderson vs Chael fight as I was for the first. I cared more about Anderson as well in 2012 then I did in 2010, the comeback against Sonnen, the Belfort KO and the commanding performance against Okami made me like him more. The Like Water documentary helped also. I liked/admired him pre 2010 despite some dull performances, but he was never someone that drew me in much as a personality. Post 2010 he is one of my favorite ever fighters and my pick for best MMA fighter off all time.

The first fight was where I felt Sonnen was at his best in terms of promotion and soundbites. Chael drew a healthy 600k with Anderson with no real supporting cast down due to how he promoted the fight. Anderson with Penn as a support only drew 500k early in the year. Chael's "schtick" as Wand nicely put it above was more fresh, but it was more cutting and serious. It was less a "schtick" and more a man of a man exaggerating his real life beliefs.

Again, Chael is still a genius and I generally enjoy him in 2013, but it is more a comedy routine now than it was when he first started.

• Paid Members

Ok folks,

This is my final post before flying out (unless I get bored at the hotel tonight before we fly out tomorrow?). Bags are packed and everything is ready to go. Have a good few weeks and hopefully I will upload some photos of the event when I get back to the hotel...most likely in tears after witnessing a demolition.

I'm probably going to find it hard convincing my wife these are some of the best athletes on the planet once Big Country makes his way out!

WAR SONNEN!!!!!!!!

• Paid Members

Have a good 'un Lamby. As for the Mrs, like deathrey said, the live experience might be more fun for her. It depends how the fights go, if there's lots of finishes it will fly by. If it's Decision City, she might absolutely hate it and immediately file for divorce. So no pressure.

What might work to your advantage -

- The novelty of watching a hairy human weeble fight. Even my Mom takes notice on the rare occasion she's seen Big Roy step fat-foot in the Octagon. Comments like "he looks like your Dad" or "Isn't that that Hacksaw bloke off the wrestling? He's put weight on" or "surely that belly counts as padding? It's not fair". Maybe Mrs Lamby will be similarly entertained/bemused.

-Phil Davis. A big hulking black bloke in little pink shorts. Women are pervs too, you know. If she starts hinting at cucking or buys you pink underwear, you'll know she had a 'Wonderful' time in NJ.

-The women's fight. If she's anything like my girlfriend she might get into this more.

Have fun.

Archived