UFC 159: 'Jones vs Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the weigh-ins last night, this Main Card is stacked.

The Main Event whatever is said about the expected one-sided nature, involves 2 of the 5 biggest names/draws currently in the UFC. One of which is expected to be the franchise player and face of the company in the future if things pan out inside the octagon, the other of which is the best trash talker in MMA history. It should have the atmosphere of a big marquee fight and get even the most jaded fan slightly hyped before the action starts.

The Co-Main involves Bisping who is one of the most recognizable faces in the UFC, facing a fellow top 10 opponent. Two top 10-15 Heavyweights is on the Main Card, which involves Roy Nelson who is another fan-favorite. Phil Davis vs Vinny showcases two rising and serious prospects in the wide open 205lbs weight class (provided Jones moves up later in the year) both with a win could be in with a chance of been two fights away from a titleshot.

A decent lighter weight fight to start the show. Unless it is BJ Penn the lighter weights (under and including 155lbs) fail to have a presence of a big fight atmosphere in MMA on PPV at least, that could change in the future as it did with boxing, but for now I like the lighter weights as salad for the main courses. Miller and Healey should get the show started in a quality manner.

Looking forward to this tomorrow.

Paddy Power have some good stuff available for this show. They've got more betting lines open than they usually do (including What Fight Will Finish Quickest, and a Money Back Special on the main event if if goes to a decision), and both Miller vs. Healy & Garcia vs. McKenzie are both 6/1 for fight of the night.

Also if you open a new account with them today and follow This link - you can get Jones to win by KO/TKO for an enhanced price of 4/1.

• Paid Members

Cheers for that tip. I haven't put my bet on yet so I think I'll have a go on Paddy Power.

Watched the weigh ins. Jones looks in probably the best shape of his career. The risk with these type of fights is usually that the favourite will take the underdog lightly but Jones appears well up for this in how he looks and he's acting.

Jim Miller looks like a murderer with the shaved head/big beard combo. The type of murderer who fucks then eats the corpse.

The only thing Chael could potentially offer this evening is that he is a grinder of a wrestler, he will keep trying to force the takedown even if he does not succeed. Chael will not care about the reach or distance, he will keep going. Rashad despite being as good a wrestler as Chael, is not much of a grinder when he does not succeed with takedowns right away.

Its all kinda irrelevant though, because I expect Jones to dominate the first round and finish in the second. There is always a chance it will go like the Rashad fight and be played out over 5 for a lopsided points win, but I am not even entertaining a Chael win tonight as nice as it would be.

Two people in the poll are. One vote for Chael by submission, one by decision.

Reveal your identities.

It certainly wasn't me, but I have to admit, Chael's showing on the Ultimate Fighter has actually reminded me why I loved watching him fight pre-Anderson Silva and all the mental pro-wrestling talk.

A lot of people were disappointed when he dropped the schtick for the show, but I'm glad he did. I'm actually rooting for him to win now.

• Paid Members

If by some miracle Chael wins tonight, where would you rank that in the all-time biggest upsets? Bigger than Serra-GSP 1? Bigger than Gonzaga-Cro Cop? Bigger than Bigfoot-Overeem?

Personally I'd rank it #1. The above fights where all shockers but the underdogs were all heavy hitters so always had that puncher's chance. Chael has no clear path to win tonight in my opinion. And Jones is scarier and more dominant than 2007 GSP, 2007 Cro Cop and 2013 Overeem. If Chael wins tonight...I can't even...it's fucking with the very fabric of logic when it comes to predicting fights.

Would be an amazing moment though.

If by some miracle Chael wins tonight, where would you rank that in the all-time biggest upsets? Bigger than Serra-GSP 1? Bigger than Gonzaga-Cro Cop? Bigger than Bigfoot-Overeem?

Personally I'd rank it #1. The above fights where all shockers but the underdogs were all heavy hitters so always had that puncher's chance. Chael has no clear path to win tonight in my opinion. And Jones is scarier and more dominant than 2007 GSP, 2007 Cro Cop and 2013 Overeem. If Chael wins tonight...I can't even...it's fucking with the very fabric of logic when it comes to predicting fights.

I'd rank it above all of the except Serra/St-Pierre. That fight featured a guy who really had no business in that weight division beating an unstoppable force against all odds. A Sonnen win would rank alongside that fight, but not above it in my opinion.

• Paid Members
Paddy Power have some good stuff available for this show. They've got more betting lines open than they usually do (including What Fight Will Finish Quickest, and a Money Back Special on the main event if if goes to a decision), and both Miller vs. Healy & Garcia vs. McKenzie are both 6/1 for fight of the night.

Also if you open a new account with them today and follow This link - you can get Jones to win by KO/TKO for an enhanced price of 4/1.

I like that you can bet on FOTN, id go for Miller-Healy. I really think its gonna be a case of two granite rough fighters going at it for dominant position, could be wild.

I'd rank it above all of the except Serra/St-Pierre. That fight featured a guy who really had no business in that weight division beating an unstoppable force against all odds. A Sonnen win would rank alongside that fight, but not above it in my opinion.

I agree in theory David.

But, Serra had a punchers chance and it only takes one punch in this sport. Sonnen has a wrestlers chance, which takes 5 rounds of control and dominance. I would say Sonnen is a better fighter than Serra overall, but his win would be the bigger upset style wise.

I agree in theory David.

But, Serra had a punchers chance and it only takes one punch in this sport. Sonnen has a wrestlers chance, which takes 5 rounds of control and dominance. I would say Sonnen is a better fighter than Serra overall, but his win would be the bigger upset style wise.

Oh, if Sonnen wins this bout over five frames then I'd certainly rank it higher. As things stand we don't know how Jones would react to getting caught with a good, solid punch, do we? Or if Sonnen got the takedown and managed to open a cut via elbows etc.

Basically, where it would rank for me would rest on the way the fight went.

Archived