UFC 159: 'Jones vs Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I don't really get burnt out myself but I can see why people would. Although last weekend was almost too much with all the boxing as well. This week will be the same with 159, the Khan fight, Martinez fight etc. Then Mayweather the week after. It's relentless.

Jones vs Sonnen really hasn't caught on anything close to like Silva vs Sonnen though has it. I think a mixture of Chael not talking as much plus people really not thinking he has a chance have left a lot of people indifferent. At least against Silva people thought his wrestling might work. It really seems like there's nothing he can do to Jones. I'll watch the Countdown later and see if it actually mind-fucks me into giving Chael a chance.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Just done my picks for this on MMAPlayground and was a bit surprised to see the underdog bonus for Vinny against Phil Davis. I think Vinny has a really good chance of catching Davis. Pat Healy has the underdog bonus against Miller as well which I think is a pretty even fight and could go either way close on the cards.

I'm no betting expert, maybe METAL_ON_METAL (McCririck) or Magnum will know better, are there good odds on Vinny and Healy? I think if the betting lines reflect similar to the prediction game there might be some money to be made off Vinny especially in that fight.

• Paid Members

Thanks for that, I'm seriously thinking about that Vinny, Healy, Nelson treble. Seems worth a fiver. I fancy Vinny and Nelson to win anyway and I wouldn't be surprised if Healy edged out Miller.

I won't risk betting on Chael though. That's just silly talk.

Bastard, the UFC have pulled the Countdown video off Youtube. Can't find it anywhere else either.

Here's the video blog though (behind the scenes of UFC 158);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=mNh9QmkQTac

UFC 159 conference call with Jones, Sonnen, Bisping and Belcher;

I've gone Jones KO/TKO, Bisping decision and Nelson KO/TKO.

I've gone Jones by submission and I agree with your other two predictions.

Chael is the best. It's going to be a very sad day for the sport if he decides to retire after Saturday.

I feel the same. Sonnen contributed to two of my favourite ever builds to MMA fights, against Anderson Silva I and II.

Can you imagine if Sonnen can do it this weekend against Jon Jones? Few gave him a chance against Anderson Silva in their first fight and he almost won.

• Paid Members

Again, I'm not sure how I will react if Sonnen somehow pulls it off.

I will upload some photos after the event as I've managed to find a way to connect my camera to my tablet and import the photos across. Once back at the hotel I will post some thoughts etc of the day.

Excitement for me is finally starting to build and will be great seeing a big style event over the UK/Fuel cards.

It will be a shame if Sonnen retires now. Personally i still feel if he doesn't succeed he should go back down to middleweight and have another run at the title.

• Paid Members

I'd like to see him back at 185 as well. A fight with Belfort would be a natural fit, I'd like to see a rematch with Bisping over 5 rounds, maybe a fight with Franklin. If he strung together 3 or 4 good wins and there was no other clear cut challenger, fuck it, do Silva vs Sonnen 3.

It depends if he can find the motivation to have one last run though. He's got a comfortable, profitable career lined up with FOX and the UFC, he might just decide enough is enough.

Trust me there is excitement in this house for this fight - in fact I quite like the whole card. I have a show on Saturday night and therefore a houseful - don't think they realise what they're in for when we get back!

Also following on from what others have said, neither mr nor the Mrs get burned out with UFC. Watching 6hrs goes twice as fast as watching 3 hrs of Raw for me and the Mrs. I dislike the fact that I now have 3 weeks without any following this fight.

• Paid Members

Really looking forward to the event but I'm not excited much for the main event. Much like Silva/Bonnar there's always the slim chance of an upset but the real anticipation is with Bisping/Belcher. I don't think a lot of people are giving Belcher much of a chance but if he comes out strong & does damage in the 1st round he's got a real chance IMO. If Bisping uses his footwork to pick him apart (as I suspect he will) I can see Belcher giving up. On paper I'd have Nelson to submit Kongo early but the HW's always have that extra air of unpredictability purely because of the power possessed. Roll on Sunday evening.

Archived