UFC 159: 'Jones vs Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

if Sonnen comes out dumps Jones on his arse ill probably shit myself and the excitement i should have gone in with will come flooding in.

The Countdown was decent, i actually commend the fact that the UFC actually admit that this fight doesn't make much sense rankings wise and that it's happening cause the fans want it.

Nelson/Kongo were giving the short end of the stick on the Countdown, they literally had 10 seconds of coverage, poor fuckers.

• Paid Members
I just wanna see if Sonnen can get Jones down to the ground at least once, besides that I can't see in anyway how he wins the fight and I expect Jones to submit him inside two rounds,

Yeah that's the thing. Even if he does get Jones down, he'll need to do it repeatedly for 25 minutes. Let's face it, he's not finishing Jones. I wouldn't be surprised if Chael doesn't get one takedown in this fight, then again I wouldn't be that surprised if he did become the first to put Jones on his back. What would shock me is if he was able to do it over and over again for 5 rounds which is his only real way to win.

One thing watching the Countdown, Jones was talking about his success against wrestlers and said it was because he was able to mesmerize opponents into watching his movement instead of trying to take him down. He said he thinks that won't work on Chael and that Chael will go straight forward. It sounds like a good point. Maybe he will get the odd takedown. But I can't see any way he does that for the full 5 and even less chance he actually finishes Jones.

I'm going with Jones via choke of some kind in the 2nd.

Natural, Jim Miller is one of those really underrated guys in the UFC, even after the Lauzon fight which is a massive shame. He's been a favourite of mine for ages as well.

Nice to see a fellow Jim Miller fan. Be nice to see him get on a run again. Miller's lost to the top guys (Edgar, Maynard, Benson and Nate Diaz). I was sad after the Diaz loss.

MillerDanceDidntRead.gif

Jim Miller is the shit. Isn't everyone a Jim Miller fan? Never in a boring fight. I was in attendance for his UFC debut at UFC 89 and he's been in one great fight after another since then. Seriously go back and watch the fights with Mac Danzig, Bendo, his performances against Charles Oliveira, Shalorus and Guillard. He's always fun to watch. Lauzon's the same. The Miller-Lauzon fight was two relentless war machines colliding, it was always going to rule.

In fact I really like both the Miller brothers. Dan hasn't been as successful but he's been a highlight on the prelims for me for a while now. Give his awesome fight with Palhares a look if you haven't seen it. And his UFC fights with Funch and Horwich are hidden gems as well if you can get hold of them.

Dan also possesses maybe the most brutal guillotine in MMA ever. Way before Jones-Machida, there was this;

danmillerbrutalguillotine.gif

The Millertine.

Anyway, yeah, Miller vs Healy should be a dogfight. Can't wait. Healy has a tough style to look good against and he's a scrappy bastard like Miller. Not to be overlooked. I fancy Miller to win but I'm unsure enough that I probably will put that Healy/Vinny/Nelson treble on which M.O.M. was on about.

I just wanna see if Sonnen can get Jones down to the ground at least once, besides that I can't see in anyway how he wins the fight and I expect Jones to submit him inside two rounds,

Yeah that's the thing. Even if he does get Jones down, he'll need to do it repeatedly for 25 minutes. Let's face it, he's not finishing Jones. I wouldn't be surprised if Chael doesn't get one takedown in this fight, then again I wouldn't be that surprised if he did become the first to put Jones on his back. What would shock me is if he was able to do it over and over again for 5 rounds which is his only real way to win.

One thing watching the Countdown, Jones was talking about his success against wrestlers and said it was because he was able to mesmerize opponents into watching his movement instead of trying to take him down. He said he thinks that won't work on Chael and that Chael will go straight forward. It sounds like a good point. Maybe he will get the odd takedown. But I can't see any way he does that for the full 5 and even less chance he actually finishes Jones.

I just realised my post could be missed interpreted. Even if Sonner gets Jones down one time, he still, I don't believe has any chance at winning the fight. I can't see besides him doing it repeatedly as you mentioned for 25 minutes how he wins the fight and I don't give him a chance at being able to put Jones down over and over again. I'm purely watching just to see if he is able to at least get him down once, bar that the fight is just entertaining for the way Chael sells it beforehand. Gotta give the guy credit, I don't give him any chance at all, yet I'm going to be staying up till 6am to watch it all unfold.

• Paid Members

the Vinny/Davis buildup was good stuff, i really hope the fight hits the ground both guys are talking so much shit about what they can do and what the other can't do against him it's gonna be criminal if it does end up being a lousy kickboxing match.

• Paid Members

Yeah Khabilov's one to keep an eye on. There's a few fighters around now who are on my 'one to watch' list (don't actually have a list). Khabliov, Erik Perez and Conor McGregor are my main ones at the moment. Cat Zingano was in this bunch as well but she's pretty much arrived now. Same with TJ Grant and Rafael Dos Anjos who have had a good spell lately.

I just realised my post could be missed interpreted. Even if Sonner gets Jones down one time, he still, I don't believe has any chance at winning the fight. I can't see besides him doing it repeatedly as you mentioned for 25 minutes how he wins the fight and I don't give him a chance at being able to put Jones down over and over again. I'm purely watching just to see if he is able to at least get him down once, bar that the fight is just entertaining for the way Chael sells it beforehand. Gotta give the guy credit, I don't give him any chance at all, yet I'm going to be staying up till 6am to watch it all unfold.

Oh yeah I realised what you were getting at, I agree. Just got carried away with my point as I often do.

Jeez that Millertine always makes me wince. Thinking of other submissions I feel the same way: Mir's Armbar on Sylvia, Mir's Kimura on Big Nog and Rousey's Armbar on Tate. Might have missed some.

Mir's career is full of them. That arm crank thing he did on Pete Williams was nasty to watch.

Aside from Mir I'd add Nate Diaz's tongue crushing guillotine on Jim Miller, Palhares' kneebars, Maia's facecrush rear naked choke on Rick Story, Shogun's kneebar on Randleman, Sakuraba's arm manglings over Renzo and Royler Gracie.

• Paid Members
Shogun's kneebar was pure pro wrestling, i aint saying the thing was worked but ive never seen anyone react to being in a legit submission like Randleman did that night.

The ankle lock bit looked a bit funny but the kneebar....

shogun.jpg

If I was working a fight I wouldn't agree to have my knee bent backwards like that. It looked pretty brutal to me.

• Paid Members

008__gallery_post.0_standard_500.0.jpg

005_Michael_Bisping_and_Alan_Belcher_gallery_post_medium.jpg

If anyone finds the press conference video can you post it in here? I'm guessing that's where these photos are from but the video doesn't seem to be up anywhere yet.

Short clip of the staredowns

Chael at the end :laugh:

• Paid Members

Sorry to double post but thought people would want to watch these;

Ariel Helwani interviews Dana White on Diva Jones, Chael's confidence;

Ariel interviews Chael P Sonnen on whether this will be his last fight;

The closer this gets I'm feeling the hype. It's not like Silva vs Sonnen 2 which happened in the July but I was fucking counting the days from about April. But I'm buying into all this shit now. For a fight where I'm sure of the result, this has really started to hook me in more than it should. Kind of like GSP vs Diaz did. I'm 95% certain who will win, but I still can't wait. It's a weird kind of anticipation.

Jeez that Millertine always makes me wince. Thinking of other submissions I feel the same way: Mir's Armbar on Sylvia, Mir's Kimura on Big Nog and Rousey's Armbar on Tate. Might have missed some.

Mir's career is full of them. That arm crank thing he did on Pete Williams was nasty to watch.

Aside from Mir I'd add Nate Diaz's tongue crushing guillotine on Jim Miller, Palhares' kneebars, Maia's facecrush rear naked choke on Rick Story, Shogun's kneebar on Randleman, Sakuraba's arm manglings over Renzo and Royler Gracie.

I'll second those. I'll also add Jung's Twister on Garcia.

Archived