UFC 159: 'Jones vs Sonnen'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i like the variety we get in terms of fight promotion in MMA, each fight is different and should be promoted differently.

Good point

If everyone turned into Chael Sonnen, it would not work. Self-promotion and hype can be done in different ways, as long as it attracts viewers and media attention it is effective. For example, Nick Diaz vs GSP offered a completely different build and hype to say Rousey vs Liz, but both were very effective in getting you hyped.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

the current Floyd Mayweather/Robert Guerrero hype is brilliant, there aint much smack talk, just promoting each guys story and highlighting what they plan to achieve not just in boxing but in life is enough...check out the first episode of All Access thats doing the rounds, i was fucking buzzing after watching that.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen that yet, I'll have to get on it. I've got that much shit backed up to watch, just in MMA/Boxing alone, and I need to catch up. I haven't even started TUF Brazil 2 yet and I just looked and there's been 4 episodes already.

Then Saturday we've got UFC on FOX 7, the Fury fight on 5, the Cleverly/Chisora fights and Canelo vs Trout on BoxNation, Rose vs Alcine on Sky. Fucks sake.

I agree with EBB, the all access is very good. I do think the 24'7 HBO series does the best job in combat sport for priming a fan for a fight. UFC Primetime can also be outstanding when the UFC put effort towards it.

TUF Brazil 4 episodes in? I am not even going to bother unless I hear outstanding reviews, I have decided I cannot watch a full episode of TUF these days without boredom.

I'm going to give TUF Brazil a go, last time I couldn't get into it because of the subtitles. A subject at uni this semester forces us to watch a load of foreign films, so I've gotten better at handling it.

I like Jones' stance on fight hype. He's been a true professional throughout TUF, and now it's definitely business time. Bones by R1 Sub.

I'd love to see Bisping lose, just to be humbled a little. On the post fight show for TUF 17, he took a little dig at Australia, so I'm more anti-Bisping than usual. I mean, he was dead right, but still. :laugh:

• Paid Members
I'd love to see Bisping lose, just to be humbled a little.

You should know by now that losses don't humble Bisping. Never. If Hendo's TRT-powered rocket launcher of a haymaker didn't shut him up,, and Belfort's TRT-powered supershin to the dome didn't shut him up, you have to assume that nothing Alan Belcher does will either.

Dana quote on Jones vs Sonnen and the interview they did at the TUF Finale;

That night before they even did the interview, Jon said to me - 'I've never wanted to hurt another fighter. I've never wanted to hurt somebody. I want to hurt this guy.' - he wants to hurt Chael Sonnen.

Yeah, RIP Chael. It was fun while it lasted.

• Paid Members
Do you believe Jones actually said that? I think that's just Dana hyping the fight up.

Haha yeah I was exaggerating a bit. I take everything Dana says these days with a big fuck off handful of salt. Like when he claimed GSP vowed to "put the worst beating in UFC history on Nick Diaz". I can't imagine those words coming from GSP. Dana is a promoter through and through.

Regardless, RIP Chael. I think Chael is fucked either way. And I get the sense he knows it. The closer the fight gets he seems less confident than I've ever seen him. The swagger he had before the Anderson fights isn't quite there in my opinion. And I get the impression Jones is genuinely a bit angry that a) some people questioned him for declining the Chael fight originally, and b) that Chael is an unworthy challenger and he wants to prove it by decisively twatting him.

I'm a big Chael fan, but he is in very deep shit here.

Oh yeah, no doubt Chael is getting his ass kicked! I just don't buy the angry stuff, only losing seems to make Jones angry.

Dana schtick is just too similar to what he was saying about GSP before the Diaz fight, which I bought at the time, but GSP seemed about as angry as my grandma in that fight

• Paid Members
GSP seemed about as angry as my grandma in that fight

My grandma is always angry as fuck. Nick Diaz fight mode angry at times. It must be an Irish thing. My other Nan was always super mellow and happy, like a Big Nog. She actually looked younger than Nog though, and she was in her 70s.

But yeah, Chael is about to catch a good hiding.

• Paid Members

So, yeah, we're all expecting a Sonnen win? :crazy:

Fly out next Friday and can't wait. Think I'm going to aim to get there for about 7.30 missing the first few fights.

I wonder if I send a tweet to Sonnen and say its my honeymoon he will let me walk him to the octagon haha?

• Paid Members

Ha, it's worth a try. You never know.

Do you have good seats? Thinking about it, if this turns out to be Chael's last fight as it well might be, it's pretty fucking cool that you get to be in attendance for it.

Tweet him.

• Paid Members
Ha, it's worth a try. You never know.

Do you have good seats? Thinking about it, if this turns out to be Chael's last fight as it well might be, it's pretty fucking cool that you get to be in attendance for it.

Tweet him.

Yeah got decent seats. Block 4 Row 24. If you have a spare few mins you can check the view entering that info on the Prudential center website.

Obviously don't go out of your way though.

• Paid Members
Yeah got decent seats. Block 4 Row 24.

Hope you have a great time, dude. I'm very jealous! Despite thinking this season of TUF was extremely disappointing, I can still feel my excitement building the closer we get to the fight. And even though I'm 99.9% certain that Chael is going to take the beating of a lifetime, I'm still holding out hope for a Matt Serra-style upset. If it somehow happens, I think I'll explode with delight.

Archived