Facebook updates that blow your mind

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:
This gem:

well I just learned today.
It took me 19 years to figure out NEWS stands for "notable events, weather, and sports"

NO IT FUCKING DOESN'T

I hate this shit. It's probably my pettiest of pet peeves, but I'm an etymology nerd, and people being so easily convinced of bullshit backronyms gets my goat. You used to hear people say how "Chav" stood for "Council Housed and Violent", and it bloody doesn't.

Worst of all was one you used to get in shitty email chain letters, or that pub bores would spout, which was that the word "fuck" was originally an acronym for "Fornication Under Consent of the King", because sex was illegal without royal permission at some ill-defined time in the past. There is obviously so much wrong with that, not least of all that "Fuck" is a much older word in the English language than "Fornication" is in the first place.

Acronyms in general only really became common in English in the late 19th century, any word before that you can reliably assume isn't one.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I hate this shit. It's probably my pettiest of pet peeves, but I'm an etymology nerd, and people being so easily convinced of bullshit backronyms gets my goat. You used to hear people say how "Chav" stood for "Council Housed and Violent", and it bloody doesn't.

Worst of all was one you used to get in shitty email chain letters, or that pub bores would spout, which was that the word "fuck" was originally an acronym for "Fornication Under Consent of the King", because sex was illegal without royal permission at some ill-defined time in the past. There is obviously so much wrong with that, not least of all that "Fuck" is a much older word in the English language than "Fornication" is in the first place.

Acronyms in general only really became common in English in the late 19th century, any word before that you can reliably assume isn't one.

I remember me and a mate we had a sleepover at my house on a Friday night when kids. We put Eurotrash on and they claimed the "Fornicate Under Command Of the King" was true. The reason they gave though was that a King could choose any "commoner" to have sex with at their will, and was ordered to "FUCK". 

This woman, who is a friend of my mums, posted a picture yesterday of someone meant to be Venables.  Calmly, I posted about the dangers of doing this, regardless of how good your intentions may be, real diplomatic.  I took the softly softly approach as the day before she shared something about how someone saw immigrants in Tesco spending the 26 quids worth of vouchers they got EVERY DAY on booze.  I told her it isn't true and pointed out that her husband is Irish so he would be entitled to them as well if these daily food vouchers existed.  Her reply was "It may be false but it's also true" and that only the Irish don't get the vouchers.

Today she posted another Venables pic that was a completely different person to the one yesterday.  Fucks sake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...