DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Hail Caesar is great fun. It's not one of the all time great Coen films (Fargo, Inside Llewyn Davis, Miller's Crossing) but I preferred it to The Big Lebowski (incredibly overrated).

AGREED with your Lebowski comment. It just left me cold and wondered what I didn't get that everyone else did. Just average

I enjoy Lebowski very much, but I can see why people would call it overrated.

Went to see The BFG this evening, and was very disappointed. It's clearly well made and all, but there were scenes that just seemed to drag on far longer than they needed to in order to flesh it out abit (and yet the film still came in at just under 2 hours) and I didn't think they did a very good job of characterising the main parts enough for you to care about them

• Paid Members

Star Trek Beyond is another fine addition to the reboot collection. Karl Urban's Bones gets a welcome level of added screen time and the character is at its ornery best throughout. Bones aside, I found quite a few of the standard quips and jokes fell on their arse, but nonetheless, the characters are charming enough to just about get away with it.

Idris Elba is great and does a good job with what he had, but I felt his character could have done with a bit more work. Elba's charisma carries a character that is a bit predictable with his motives and actions.

Despite the minor issues, it's a fun film that flew by.

• Paid Members

Loved Ghostbusters. They picked such a likable and funny cast. This film could have easily gone completely wrong if it wasnt in the right hands, but it was great. Its sad so many people wont give it a chance because Egon isnt going to show up in it, but if you can take yourself out of the nostalgia its a funny little film.

Ghostbusters was good when it was being fun, rather than trying to be funny. This modern trend for awkward (probably improv) exchanges and sledgehammer-subtle deadpan exaggeration bores me - I like a bit more craft to my gags. It was better than the trailers though. Hemsworth was the funniest thing in it (mental how many people were surprised by this - they clearly haven't seen him in Thor) and I want McKinnon's crazy toothy babies. If the ending hadn't been such a damp flop, I'd've called it really good.

• Awards Moderator

Went to see The BFG this evening and I loved it. Mark Rylance is perfect casting, it's very Spielbergy, John Williams music throughout, and, having read the book on the train the other week to remind me of it, it captures the spirit of it really well. I think my favourite films of this year have been this and Zootropolis.

• Paid Members

Anyone been watching Stranger Things on Netflix? A new 8 part series. Incredible stuff! It's what Super 8 wishes it had been!

Wrong thread! Clearly not a film. Heard good things though and plan on checking it out

Anyone been watching Stranger Things on Netflix? A new 8 part series. Incredible stuff! It's what Super 8 wishes it had been!

Wrong thread! Clearly not a film. Heard good things though and plan on checking it out

Ah crap, my bad. Didn't mean to post here! :unsure:

Making my way through my Buffy sets.

Christ I always forget just how bad Season 2 is outside of the main arcs. Some truly awful filler episodes. Not as bad as later seasons bad filler episodes though.

I genuinely can't sit through shit like Ted. Bad Eggs is at least amusingly poor.

Xander and Cordelia were at their best as the odd ball couple. Perfectly reigned in their annoying characteristics (Xander's obnoxious jealousy of Angel for example) when together.

Kendra is laughably bad.

I still don't get the love for Oz.

Charisma Carpenter is already looking out of place. Moving her to Angel later on was a smart move.

Edit.

Yeah just realised wrong thread. Wasn't there a general TV thread?

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Awards Moderator

We started rewatching Buffy - christ, it can't have been two years ago? Fuck, it was two years ago - and started making our way through it. My views on it haven't changed from first time round, interestingly. I thoroughly love everything about seasons 1-3, and the latest rewatch confirmed that, even the weaker episodes mentioned above are still enormous fun and have that intangible something about them. The other half agrees. I still really like season 4, people criticise it but again, even at its weak points it still has that innate Buffyness. Season 5's where it starts to go off the rails for me. It's Dawn. There's no other explanation. I just cannot get away with that character. That and season 6 both have cracking episodes but it's not the same show, and the rewatch made that distinction even clearer for me.

We got to the final few episodes of season 6 and the other half just lost the will to carry on with it. It had got too dark and grim and bleak for her, she missed that feel of the early seasons. (We were watching in tandem with Angel and she had the exact same problem towards the end of season 3 for that). That was about a year ago, and I don't think we'll get round to finishing them off anytime soon. Bloody Dawn. She's to blame. Even for Angel.

I really enjoy season 4 from what I remember. Yeah it has a poor Big Bad but also has some of the strongest episodes in general.

I loved Season 5. Yeah Dawn is shit and serves no purpose post season but it's probably the strongest season as far as an overall arc goes, has the least crappy filler episodes and still holds up now in terms of production values IMO.

Riley should has been phased out sooner though.

Season 3 is almost up there as my favourite.

Season 6 is hit and miss. I think this is when Joss took a back seat and it shows as far as tone goes. Hannigan to her credit puts a shift in despite the awful magic crack stuff.

Season 6 does have possibly the two worst episodes of the entire series though. Double Meat Palace being one and the others name escapes me. Revolved around Riley showing up.

Dreading season 7. Maybe I'll enjoy it more now but a few stand out episodes aside I remember hating it.

Looking forward to starting Angel.

Edit.

Christ I had forgotten just how much of a shit bag Xander was.

Edited by The King Of Swing

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Blair Witch.
Now, as a fan of the first two flicks, I was a bit apprehensive about this but mother of fuck, it absolutely blitzed its predecessors in terms of my pots being gone and my bumcheeks issuing a vice-like grip on my Bovril hole. It’s really, really, REALLY fucking good and I hope it gets the plaudits and box office it deserves when it goes on release next month.

The final third...I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it. It just went fucking nuts...in the best possible way.

Right, if there any among you who want spoilers or have questions and blah blah, the usual, fire away...