DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Pretty much every cinema before multiplexes used to have an interval. It was when you got your ice cream.

That was after the trailers, adverts and the short cartoon though. Not in the middle of a film.

The only time I can remember it happening was on one of the later Pirates of the Caribbean films.

• Paid Members

Pretty much every cinema before multiplexes used to have an interval. It was when you got your ice cream.

That was after the trailers, adverts and the short cartoon though. Not in the middle of a film.

The only time I can remember it happening was on one of the later Pirates of the Caribbean films.

Nope, I can remember intervals in Last Crusade, Hook, who framed Roger Rabbit and Prince of thieves and most films in the Apollo / scala in North Wales used to have a 10 minute interval. Wasn't just for kids films either. Middle of the film used to stop, curtains closed and lights up. Pretty sure it used to be when they changed the reels. Edited by chokeout

Nope, I can remember intervals in Last Crusade, Hook, who framed Roger Rabbit and Prince of thieves and most films in the Apollo / scala in North Wales used to have a 10 minute interval. Wasn't just for kids films either. Middle of the film used to stop, curtains closed and lights up. Pretty sure it used to be when they changed the reels.

Over in Theatre Clwyd we'd have a woman come round selling Cornetto's to us in our seats. Ghostbusters 2 was on so it wasn't the 80's given that all the Theatre Clwyd films were about a year old.

We also had a serial killer running Bagillt cinema.

I know my local cinema had to have an intermission during Titanic and the LOTR films because they couldn't fit all of the film on one platter and they didn't have multiple projectors in the screens. I think it was 2 hours 20 minutes was the most you could run that includes the trailers spliced on at the beginning of the films.

• Awards Moderator

I can very vaguely recall it happening during a couple of films I went to when I was around 5 or 6. Aladdin, I think, and Nightmare Before Christmas (which strikes me as odd now because that one's only an hour and a quarter anyway). I wonder whether maybe these were 'kids screenings' and they put an interval in for a toilet break or something.

• Paid Members

The cinema in Thirsk, where I grew up, had an interval in the middle of films. The 6-year old me remembers it got to a particularly tense bit in the first film I ever saw at the pictures (Masters of the Universe, with Dolph Lungren, in case you were wondering) when the screen went blank, the lights came on and some old dear started shouting about buying ice cream.

Despite only having a single screen, it also had seating on 2 floors (old Odeon style) and unless you were towards the front the people upstairs couldn't see the bottom of the screen and the people downstairs couldn't see the top.

It closed down in the late 80s, until some volunteer group reopened it years later showing films 4 months out of date.

Thirsk.

Edited by Big Benny HG

Yeah the first time I experienced it was in Pirates of the Caribbean.

• Paid Members

Here is a list of some movies I've watched recently:

The Hateful Eight - it was fine. I mean, it's Tarintino so it's exactly what you expect it to be.

Legend - enjoyed it. Comes a part where you kind of forget it's one guy playing both Krays.

Steve Jobs - was ok. It only goes up to 1998 and takes place entirely backstage at the launch of three different products. Have heard it is lacking factually.

The Martian - loved it. Better than the book. The book was boring.

Watched all of them on Kodi from screener copies.

There's been some good titles among those DVD screeners that had been leaked onto the torrent sites.  I really enjoyed Legend I thought Hardy played the part of both Kray twins very well. Although the story was just the timeline of Reggie's relationship with Frances . The 1990 version with the Kemp's was more about the brothers background.

• Paid Members

Nope, I can remember intervals in Last Crusade, Hook, who framed Roger Rabbit and Prince of thieves and most films in the Apollo / scala in North Wales used to have a 10 minute interval. Wasn't just for kids films either. Middle of the film used to stop, curtains closed and lights up. Pretty sure it used to be when they changed the reels.

I wonder if that was because they didn't have the means/abilities to sync the reels up.

Up until '97 my regular was a 90 year old converted theatre and that didn't put intervals in the film itself, not even for "epic" ones like Dance With Wolves.

I've just remembered another time there was a break in the film. The Actor, which I saw at the Wooton in Liverpool. I've seen other films there though that didn't do it, so maybe that was a gimmick for that particular film.

I was just catching up with a couple of episodes of QI that I had recorded and on their Xmas show Fry was actually talking about movies with intermissions at the cinema and apparently The Godfather and Zulu were movies that also featured a break at the time of release.

• Paid Members

I was just catching up with a couple of episodes of QI that I had recorded and on their Xmas show Fry was actually talking about movies with intermissions at the cinema and apparently The Godfather and Zulu were movies that also featured a break at the time of release.

Episode 4 did as well. The trash compactor scene is where that happened