DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Got nothing to do with anything, but the "Brian May" doing the soundtrack on the "Go Kids" isn't the Queen guitarist. It's an Australian guy. Always got the two of them confused. He did a "Nightmare on Elm Street" soundtrack too. Might have been "Freddy's Dead".

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Finally started my horror month last night and tonight, have only watched 3 films so far as I felt rough as shit due a blocked nose, a pounding headache and dizziness yesterday

First up was the 1932 version of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde which was fascinating to watch, particularly for the groundbreaking at the time special effects that allowed Fredric March to transform from the mild mannered and likeable Dr Jekyll (pronounced Jeekal) to the woman beating bastard Mr Hyde. The film ends fairly abruptly but I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it 

Next up was See No Evil, starring Kane which I've held off watching for years as my copy was a hideous mess that had been blatently filmed in a cinema. It's only the third of WWE Studios' movies I've seen, after The Marine and 12 Rounds and imo is a fun little slasher film with Kane playing the killer role to a tee. Looking forward to getting the sequel when it comes out

Lastly was the original 1980 version of Prom Night, which was very enjoyable. Jamie Lee Curtis was coming off the first two Halloween movies when she done this film but doesn't really do much in this until the final portion of the film, it's more focused on the mystery killer and the teens he's stalking over what he saw years earlier. Much like Jekyll and Hyde the film ends abruptly, right after the killer is revealed which is a huge twist

• Paid Members

Stretch – I genuinely don’t know what to make of it. A part of me loved it and a part of me really disliked it.

It plays like Adventures in Babysitting by way of Smokin’ Aces and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and I love all those movies, which means – in theory – I should have loved this.

And I did...for the first two acts.

I sat there thinking “Why didn’t this bastard get a general release. It’s really good!” and then the third act comes in and ruins everything that preceded it.

Patrick Wilson is surprisingly good in the ‘Jason Bateman down-on-his-luck-everymang’ role, and Chris Pine is rather amusing at points, but Jessica Alba can fuck off.
Fin.

• Paid Members

Stretch –

then the third act comes in and ruins everything that preceded it.

Patrick Wilson is surprisingly good in the ‘Jason Bateman down-on-his-luck-everymang’ role,

I like Patrick Wilson, I'm still not 100% sure why but it definitely started with liking him in Watchmen (best film ever, am I right?  :rolleyes: ) I'll still check out that film but I hate films with a shit third act, it's not ruined by a twist is it? Films with shit twists that make you retroactively dislike everything preceding it are the worst.

As it happens I watched a Patrick Wilson film yesterday, 'twas called Space Station '76 and the (good) premise is it's a comedy drama based aboard a space station in a parody 70s version of the future. Unfortunately it went absolutely nowhere, Wilson was playing a watered down Ron Burgundy (it was much more boring than that sounds) Liv Tyler and Matt Bomer did nothing of note, a little girl and her mother had about a minute of amusing moments and that was it. It barely attempted any humour (again, not in a good way) and there wasn't really any drama or progression which would all be forgivable if it had great dialogue or worked as a character study or was really weird or had something, anything going for it which it didn't, at all. 

It's based on a play which must be the most boring play in existence because it would have been really easy to make this film work on some level but it didn't.

• Paid Members

I adored Watchmen, Bellers! I thought it was the best possible adaptation that could/can exist. The source material doesn’t exactly lend itself to film, so I tend to believe Snyder – who has gotten progressively worse with each passing movie – did a great job on that gig.

He was fucked if he did and fucked if he didn’t with Watchmen. Shatner in Wrath of Khan shit, there.

But yeah, Stretch isn’t ruined by a twist at all. It’s just all gets a little too rushed and convenient. It was like Carnahan & Co ran out of script and effort.

• Paid Members

I adored Watchmen, Bellers! I thought it was the best possible adaptation that could/can exist. The source material doesn’t exactly lend itself to film, so I tend to believe Snyder – who has gotten progressively worse with each passing movie – did a great job on that gig.

He was fucked if he did and fucked if he didn’t with Watchmen. Shatner in Wrath of Khan shit, there.

But yeah, Stretch isn’t ruined by a twist at all. It’s just all gets a little too rushed and convenient. It was like Carnahan & Co ran out of script and effort.

I loved Watchmen too, but in a moment of reckless hyperbole I proclaimed it on this forum to be pretty much the best thing ever or something and I've been cruelly reminded of that a few times. Terry Gilliam said it was unfilmable and he's a nutcase so Snyder must've done something right because it coudn't have been any better. Then again I do watch Man of Steel with a sock in my hand and my pants round my ankles so take my opinion with a pinch of salt... Except about Space Station '76, that movie really is dull.

• Paid Members

See, now. Here's the thing. Watchmen is pretty great. I'm fully in agreement with Branquey that it's the best possible adaptation of the source material we could have gotten. It was tremendous.

However, it's also the only Zach Snyder film I actually like and in part I think this could have a lot to do with my fondness for the source material.

Man Of Steel is one of the biggest wastes of potential I think I've ever seen. It actually makes me angry. All the trailers were wonderful and the film has some incredibly good ideas all wrapped up in one terrible film. 

• Paid Members

You've got to feel a bit of manly respect for a guy who had to buy an entire new wardrobe because he got so hench for a role that none of his clothes fitted anymore.

• Moderators

I'm re-reading Watchmen right now because I haven't read it years and my mate lent me a Before Watchmen book (I know.. I'm not expecting much, but I saw J Michael Straczynski's name on the cover and thought I may as well give it a shot).

Might be a good time to also re-watch the film which I haven't seen since I saw it in the cinema (and conveniently fell asleep for exactly the duration of what everyone said was the most pointless and boring bit of the film - Blue junk on Mars).

• Paid Members

I like Watchmen. As said, it is what it is, as good an adaption of the book as he could have made.

Zack Snyders remake of Dawn Of The Dead was amazing and is easily his best film. Saying that, He also made Suckerpunch, and i can't forgive him for that piece of shit.