DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I won't have that. Little Mix have some great songs.

Just finished Band of Brothers and I loved it. The episodes were a good length too as I didn't feel like they'd drag. I hoped it wouldn't be too patriotic and sickening, and it wasn't. I'd seen some Tom Hanks narrated World War II film at the WW2 museum in New Orleans that didn't do anything for me as I couldn't take it seriously. Apparently The Pacific isn't as good, but that's probably my next thing to watch (other than Luther which I've just started). Not normally one to watch loads of TV, but I'm waiting for the start of my new job and have fuck all to do until then. Can probably tell by my spike in posts recently.

• Paid Members

Prometheus.

Pretty to look at but fucking garbage. Might have well have called it Little Mix.

Complete drivel, isn't it? Ridley Scott can fuck off now, he's done.

• Paid Members

Prometheus.

Pretty to look at but fucking garbage. Might have well have called it Little Mix.

Complete drivel, isn't it? Ridley Scott can fuck off now, he's done.

This is why there must not be a sequel to Blade Runner.

• Paid Members

Ridley Scott has well and truly lost it. And every time they put out a new film of his it's promoted as a OMG RIDLEY SCOTT!!!111 film as if that means something anymore. He hasn't made a good film since the 90s.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Watched The Perfect Weapon this week. 

Not a bad little actioner, very watchable and decent production values too – presentation wise, it’s up there with the early Seagal stuff of the same era.  I know cheap and cheerful is part of the appeal with this type of movie, but it’s amazing what a bit of polish can do to hold your attention.

Jeff Speakman isn’t exactly dripping with charisma, but is far less wooden than many of his DTV competitors and it’s interesting to see Kempo portrayed on screen. Martial arts movies are martial arts movies and all that, but it was refreshing to see different moves and combinations.  With that in mind, the fights are shot pretty well for an American made martial arts movie -trying to compare any with a HK production is like trying to compare Bruce Forsythe with Fred West, but they don’t fuck about with the camera, you can see what’s going on, and there’s a fluidity and speed about the whole thing.

In a nutshell, Speakman plays the black sheep of the family, he lacks discipline and is enrolled in a karate school by a friend of his fathers, the two becoming close friends.  Unable to control his anger, Jeff (yep, don’t bother giving him a different name in his debut movie) knocks out an American Football player, so his old man turfs him out.  Many years later, and his mentor is killed for failing to co-operate with a Korean protection racket and bobs your uncle, revenge movie on a plate.  There’s a few cute twists and turns, so more than just a typical by the numbers, formulaic movie like so many others, but has enough ludicrousness to tick all the boxes you’d look for when deciding to watch a movie called The Perfect Weapon.

There’s an incredible moment where Speakman marches into a gym and confronts some bloke, asking “I’m looking for a guy, who’s good at Tae-Kwon-do, 5’8”, with a tattoo of a spider on his wrist”.  I mean fuck me, Crimewatch are missing a trick there.

Amazingly, despite failing to pack a single change of clothes when travelling back to his home town – I’m sure he wears the same outfit during the entire film - he does pack a couple of knives and some Steve Blackman-esque Kempo sticks, handy that.

Note for Chest, it’s got an 87 minute running time, always a bonus, and it flies by rather nicely with a simple plot and plenty of action.  There’s a pretty decent cast all things considered, and amusingly you have Mako and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Japanese), James Hong (Hong Kong), Dante Basco (Filipino), Seth Sakai and Professor Toru Tanaka (Hawaiian) all playing Koreans.  All the same ennit? - had to look all those up, but thought it was an amusing point worth highlighting.

If anyone wants to recommend some more films like this that don’t necessarily star the big names, please feel free – I’ve already committed to watching Excessive Force with Thomas Ian Griffith next, how can that possibly fail to deliver?

• Moderators

I watched Amazing Spider Man 2 and The Wolf of Wall Street over the last few days. One of the perks of being away on business; catching up on crap I've been wanted watch for a bit.

Spidey was really enjoyable. The CGI for the baddy was a bit ropey, but Garfield and Stone are a million times more likable than Dunst that wet loser whats-his-face.

The Goblin looked good, and neither he or the Rhino distracted too much from the main villain which was nice as I worried they'd over-cram, as they do with characters in some of the other superhero movies.

Good solid fun. Not mind-blowing, but I was never bored at any point.

Wolf of Wall street was everything I expected. Epic, wonderfully well made and acted, engaging, good story, good characters.. lots of fun. I never got bored with it, but it did go on a bit long, if that makes any sense?

Like, I enjoyed it all, but I had to watch it in bits.

Jonah Hill was great, but a little over the top comedy in a couple places.

2 for 2 though! Which is nice, as I don't make enough time for films so it's good not to feel like I wasted my time watching two particularly long ones. I think I should treat myself to a 90 minute Matrix classic to reward myself - I know there's been enough that have been mentioned recently that I've said sounded like something I would watch and then I've promptly not watched them.

• Paid Members

I watched Godzilla last night. It's boring. Lost interest as soon as 

Bryan Cranston died and it became apparent Aaron Taylor-Johnson would be the focus point.

Big letdown.

I spent a big chunk of the rest of the movie

waiting for him to return.

Bloody terrible film.

• Paid Members

I'm watching all horror films this month (ones I've not seen before) and this is what I've watched so far:-

* The Others - Same old haunted house shit. Nice to see Eric Sykes though.

* Eraserhead - Probably my least favourite David Lynch film to date. It was still pretty good though, but mostly for the sound and the ending.

* Dellamorte Dellamore / Cemetery Man - Good stuff. Great ending. Some superb one-liners. Michele Soavi made some cracking horror films. Anna Falchi's tits are mesmerising.

* Society - Bloody excellent. Wish I'd watched this years ago.

* Braindead - Ditto. That last half an hour is one of the most entertaining stretches I've seen in any film for years. Peter Jackson can shove his Hobbits up his arse, make more stuff like this.

Saw Gone Girl today. The usual Fincher brilliance. Really funny too which I wasn't expecting. The 2 1/2 hours pretty much flew by. One of those experiences which I'm not sure will be as good second time round when you know what's coming but as a first experience was terrific. Affleck, Pike, Dickens were all great and I was happy to see Nora from the Leftovers in it too.