DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Watched Her, starring Joaquin Phoenix as a lonely guy who falls in love with an artificially intelligent operating system (Scarlett Johansson). It manages to pull off Sci-Fi, comedy, romance and satire. Although Her's got a lightness to it, it's still arresting. Some people have found it creepy, but I'd say there's more than enough humanity and sweetness to it to not make creepiness one of its strong qualities.

Great performance by Joaquin Phoenix too.

I enjoyed that too, but found the ending oddly unsettling. I can see why people find it creepy.

The very ending? I thought it was a bit weak, but on the whole, loved the film. It's my second favourite of this year -- well, that I've seen this year. I can see why people would find it creepy but I thought it did a fantastic job of humanising the relationship and getting you to empathise with the characters, both characters actually. The numbers (you'll know what I mean if you've seen it) broke my heart. There was loads in there that resonated with me, and I've never been in love with a computer, although the vast majority of my ejaculations have involved one. I'd say its one flaw, besides the weak ending, was underusing Chris Pratt.

• Paid Members

All this Jackie and Sammo talk has got me well up for a few of the classics. Also I've got the honour of seeing Chinese Zodiac with the man himself doing a live in person Q&A in a couple of weeks so I need to brush up.

Just finished watching Wheels on Meals. Very charming film with a stunning finale. The JC vs Benny the Jet fight is amazing. Weirdly I thought I had this on DVD but I don't remember any of it. It's on Amazon Instant if anyone fancies checking it out. I'd say it's a little longer than it needed to be but its perfect for a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Happy to have encouraged a few people to dust off their HKL DVD's.  Hard to get a hold of those these days and there's still a few i need to pick up, for the Bey Logan commentaries if nothing else.

I'll be at that show too pal, so maybe see you there.

Edited by John Matrix

• Paid Members

All this Jackie and Sammo talk has got me well up for a few of the classics. Also I've got the honour of seeing Chinese Zodiac with the man himself doing a live in person Q&A in a couple of weeks so I need to brush up.

Just finished watching Wheels on Meals. Very charming film with a stunning finale. The JC vs Benny the Jet fight is amazing. Weirdly I thought I had this on DVD but I don't remember any of it. It's on Amazon Instant if anyone fancies checking it out. I'd say it's a little longer than it needed to be but its perfect for a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Happy to have encouraged a few people to dust off their HKL DVD's.  Hard to get a hold of those these days and there's still a few i need to pick up, for the Bey Logan commentaries if nothing else.

I'll be at that show too pal, so maybe see you there.

That would be cool, I'm chuffed you got a ticket to the JC Q&A as well. I don't post much on here but lurk constantly and I'm well aware of your love of action films.

I don't know if it's come up but regarding HKL DVD's if there's some your missing you might want to check out importing from Australia. HKL titles are still in print over there and they are identical (other than some packaging) to the HKL DVDs we have. The other day I ordered the Aus HKL DVD of Shaolin Wooden Men as the oop UK DVD goes for crazy money over here and it's exactly the same.

I also ordered Fantast Mission Force from Germany as it's got English subs and is the only version in Anamorphic widescreen. The version I watched on Amazon Instant is so shocking that the DVD will look like a revelation.

EDIT - Here's the Aus distibutors site. Apparently they have 63 HKL titles available. http://www.magnapacific.com.au/index.php?option=com_jmovies&Itemid=9&task=showcategory&catid=25

Edited by DEF

Not a film I've watched recently but I can't remember the name of it or the lead actress so hoping someone can remind me

It's a Scottish film where a woman whose kid has died moves onto some shithole estate to meet the lad who ran the kid over, she ends up shagging him, it was on BBC 1 one friday night a few years ago and for some reason it's popped in my head today and I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, I thought it might be Shirley Henderson in the lead role but one quick look at IMDB and apparently I'm wrong

Not a film I've watched recently but I can't remember the name of it or the lead actress so hoping someone can remind me

It's a Scottish film where a woman whose kid has died moves onto some shithole estate to meet the lad who ran the kid over, she ends up shagging him, it was on BBC 1 one friday night a few years ago and for some reason it's popped in my head today and I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, I thought it might be Shirley Henderson in the lead role but one quick look at IMDB and apparently I'm wrong

Ive a funny feeling I've seen that. Doesnt it all end in a dirty flat with Steven Berkoff or someone of that ilk going nuts may have even reviewed in in here or the other thread.

It's not My Name is Joe or similar is it?

Edited by patiirc

Bought the Ghostwatch: Behind The Curtains documentary recently - an interesting watch. As its an indie production you dont get any clips from the show but the talking heads from the crew give an interesting insight. (Tho TBH Mike Smith doesnt sound well in his soundbytes).

There's a  anti-BBC vibe through the whole thing, which is reversed in the last 5 mins of the doc.

Watched Don't Look Now, a thriller in which Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie grieve over their drowned daughter.

I appreciate what this film does artistically with its motifs, themes and narrative, but overall I just found it dull. It'd be good to analyse, though.

Saw Guardians Of The Galaxy in 2D the other night. Loved it. Considering going to see it in 3D. Is it worth it? I'm a Cineworld Unlimited holder so it will cost me £1.60.

I'm not one for the 3d gimmick but I thought the film leant itself perfectly to 3d and would recommend it in that format.