DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Watched two films last night, 1st up was Starred Up which I thought was excellent. I'm a sucker for films set in jail anyway but this was the best of it's type I'd seen in ages. I'd not heard of it before yesterday so not sure if it got a big release over here or not it's a Film4 production, the main actor is really good in it and I can't place where I recognise him

He is from Skins. Cook. Might want to look up his next big film Unbroken. Directed by Angelina Jolie. Looks amazing.

I've never seen Skins before, just had another look at his IMDB and the thing I remembered him from was Martina Cole's The Runaway which was on Sky what I remember being excellent as well. I'll check out that Unbroken not heard anything about that one.

• Paid Members

All this Jackie and Sammo talk has got me well up for a few of the classics. Also I've got the honour of seeing Chinese Zodiac with the man himself doing a live in person Q&A in a couple of weeks so I need to brush up.

Just finished watching Wheels on Meals. Very charming film with a stunning finale. The JC vs Benny the Jet fight is amazing. Weirdly I thought I had this on DVD but I don't remember any of it. It's on Amazon Instant if anyone fancies checking it out. I'd say it's a little longer than it needed to be but its perfect for a lazy Saturday afternoon.

• Paid Members

Explosions, women in knee high boots,Chinese blokes dressed as Scotsmen, Bazookas, a rag tag group of misfits, Chinese jumping ghosts, guns, Mad Max inspired Nazis, Benny Hill style fast forward comedy, unlicensed usage of trade mark characters (I suspect) and martial arts fights.

If the above appeals to you then your a mental just like me. My second Jackie Chan film of the day was Fantasy Mission Force aka Dragon Attack. This is in no way JC's best effort (bottom of the barrel) but if you like bonkers/bad 80s action/comedy/horror then its worth a look.

It starts off a bit hard to follow but once it gets going its great fun. The major issue I had was the print on Amazon Instant looked like a worn out VHS. Not to mention it was dubbed and in 4:3 pan and scan. The thing is much of the movie is at night so the picture quality is a bit of an issue.

It's sad that the Chinese rights holders have treated these films source materials so badly. Even most of the JC that is out on Blu Ray is upscaled or very old HD masters. This one looks like worse than some of the Poundland Godfrey Hoe movies I have.

• Moderators

Boyhood was fucking brilliant! Went to see it this afternoon and really loved it. It really just all rang so true. It's so much more than the gimmick, it's fantastically well observed, written and acted.

I was sceptical at the start because I went to see it at the Curzon and the adverts before looked like were really overwrought and wanky, and then the film started with a Coldplay song. But it quickly won me over.

Went to see it with my cousin (who I grew up with and is like a sister) and it brought so many memories we'd forgotten back we were just reminiscing for ages after..

• Paid Members

It's sad that the Chinese rights holders have treated these films source materials so badly. Even most of the JC that is out on Blu Ray is upscaled or very old HD masters. This one looks like worse than some of the Poundland Godfrey Hoe movies I have.

Films in HK were cheap and disposable. Golden Harvest didn't start actively archiving material until the 90s. Once something had made its money, it got binned. Space is a valuable commodity in HK, which is why you only get to lie in your grave for 5 years before they dig you and stick some other stiff in there.

I followed my own advice and watched Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon, but with the audio commentary on. Until today it had completely passed me by that the finale is the same two guys (Samo and Lau Kar Wing) as in The Odd Couple.

• Paid Members

Yeah but that's no excuse. They continue to treat there films like garbage. There are plenty of films with a hell of alot less usable elements than any of the HK films from the 80s that have been restored. They just don't care. I've seen blu-rays of films that never got DVD releases sourced remaining 35mm prints that look stellar compared to any HK release. It's not because elements weren't kept its because they just don't care. That's the saddest thing about Hong Kong Legends dieing as they were responsible for actually treating the film elements with respect.

Is the 3d on Guardians worthwhile or is it an afterthought?

I watched the 2D version (I've only got one eye) but there was loads of stuff that made me think "that'd look ace in 3D" -- it was definitely shot with 3D in mind.

Yeah the 3d was ace, loads of cool little bits in it that added to the film.

The film is great. For all the well deserved praise of Rocket and big Dave I think Chris Pratt really stands out as a leading man which was surprising seeing as the last film I saw him in was 5 Year Engagement where he's a a chubby comedy extra.

• Paid Members

i saw Guardians of the Galaxy on Friday, i wasnt really looking forward to it but went with a mate... from the moment Peter Quill danced through the rubble in the opening 10 mins i was hooked, brilliant film.

Watched Her, starring Joaquin Phoenix as a lonely guy who falls in love with an artificially intelligent operating system (Scarlett Johansson). It manages to pull off Sci-Fi, comedy, romance and satire. Although Her's got a lightness to it, it's still arresting. Some people have found it creepy, but I'd say there's more than enough humanity and sweetness to it to not make creepiness one of its strong qualities.

Great performance by Joaquin Phoenix too.

Edited by Vice

• Paid Members

Just got back from Guardians Of The Galaxy and like everyone else I loved it. A wonderful film and my favorite Marvel film by a large margin. It's just so fucking fun it's incredible. It's impossible for me to pick a favorite character. Go see it.

I went to the secret cinema back to the future event in london(olympic park) friday. It was amazing.the hill vally recreation is superb and while the films on different scenes are being acted out infront of you

I know its had abit of bad press but this event is top notch and i would advise anyone to go to the remaining dates.