DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Im off to see xmen tonight.

I dont think ive read one bad review, i shall report back

It's really enjoyable. First Class is still my favourite X-Men flick, but this is joint second with X2.

Few gripes with the ending and final third, but all in all, a tip of the hat to, and a return to form for, Singer.

His apparent availing of having his crown polished by a minor kind of soured the experience somewhat though. Felt almost guilty handing over a few bob...

• Awards Moderator
Im off to see xmen tonight.

I dont think ive read one bad review, i shall report back

It's really enjoyable. First Class is still my favourite X-Men flick, but this is joint second with X2.

Few gripes with the ending and final third, but all in all, a tip of the hat to, and a return to form for, Singer.

His apparent availing of having his crown polished by a minor kind of soured the experience somewhat though. Felt almost guilty handing over a few bob...

I'd put X2 as my favourite X-film but agree with Mr Malbranque that this one's the second best in the series. Good strong central storyline, and the opening fight with the Sentinels is a cracker, with the new additions like Bishop and Blink showing their stuff. Post-credits teaser is worth staying for as well.

Really enjoyed X-Men, as well. Solid throughout, and at no point did it feel like it was dragging. Top performances from the main lot, as well. Hadnt read much about this film, so was slightly disappointed about how little the old lot were in it, though.

Went with 5 other people, and none of us had a clue about who or what the credit scene was about, mind. Had to look online this morning to find out what it was about.

• Paid Members

Wow Godzilla really disappointed me, I really wanted to like it but it was so fucking boring I could barely sit still, I didn't care about the humans at all and there wasn't enough Godzilla craziness to make that aspect of the film enjoyable either. I saw it in 2D thankfully because it was so grey and washed out that in 3D with the shades on it must've been hard to see anything. I liked Godzilla himself (as in the way he looked, roared and moved) so at least it didn't make him shit, that's the only good thing I can say for it unfortunately.

Watched Pomeii then Taken 2 because I'm ill and bedridden. They were terrible, although Pompeii did have Adebisi being awesome. Taken 2 was Batman Begins level of shit direction for the action sequences and it had more plot holes too. Fuckawful.

Mrs Loki and I watched Network off Netflix last night.

What a film! What fucking balls! Some of the social and political jokes have obviously aged, but the core premise is much more close to the truth nowadays.

Both very powerful and very funny. a rare combination. Definitely has earned its reputation.

• Paid Members

It's absolutely brilliant. About time Sidney Lumet was given as much attention as the likes of Coppola, Scorsese and Spielberg because, to be honest, he was better than all of them.

• Paid Members

Bloody love Lumet, recently re watched Prince Of The City, such a great film (and another one of his love letters to New York) Treat Williams was great in it. Its mad that for a a few years he was in some quite high profile stuff (chucked in the mix with De Niro and James Woods in their prime in Once Upon A Time in America probably being a highlight) and then straight to video for pretty much the rest of his career. Bit of a shame.

• Paid Members

We are living in a utopia, where thousands of films are available at any time, so obviously, when I couldn't sleep the other night, I watched Vanishing on 7th Street. I wish that some mysterious force had sapped all of the power from my TV the moment I made that decision. It had Hayden Christensen in it. I don't know why I've seen so many films with that dreary fucking stick of celery. He's got to be the most useless actor currently on a downward career trajectory (I assume - he couldn't be doing well, right?). He's good in Awake, but that's because he's portraying an comatose man struggling in vain to communicate anything meaningful. John Leguizamo is John Leguizamo in this film, and so is Thandie Newton. She's Thandie Newton, that is, not John Leguizamo. She might as well have been, though, maybe that would have made things more interesting. The start is rote apocalypse. The middle is seemingly three hundred hours long, scrabbling in the dark, with painful logic gaps, painful dialogue, painful acting, and painful urination, for all I know. The ending is metaphysical, or metareligious... it's definitely metagood. That means shit, I think. On the plus side, the shoehorning of a modern soundtrack through the use of a jukebox in a film about the dying out of power (a metaphor, really, which also means shit) means that we get to hear the Marvelettes, always a pleasure.

Zero buys.

Bloody love Lumet, recently re watched Prince Of The City, such a great film (and another one of his love letters to New York) Treat Williams was great in it. Its mad that for a a few years he was in some quite high profile stuff (chucked in the mix with De Niro and James Woods in their prime in Once Upon A Time in America probably being a highlight) and then straight to video for pretty much the rest of his career. Bit of a shame.

I rate him. Not sure what happened really. Maybe he just has B movie looks.

• Paid Members

I rate him. Not sure what happened really. Maybe he just has B movie looks.

He's basically the 80s version of Nathan Fillion in that he does cheesy action very well