DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Nick Soapdish - Seeing Films so you don't have to...

1 - The Lone Ranger: If they cut the first 2 hours down to a 10 minutes of anything of note and kept the last half hour as it is, it would have been a 3 and a 1/2 *'s movie. As it currently sits ** stars.

2 -The Internship. You know how the wedding crashers was an ok comedy. Take out half the laughs, change the supporting cast and you have the internship. Not worth the time to watch. 1 and 1/2 *'s

• Paid Members
If it makes you feel any better, Sir Matrix, I did think of you when I saw it listed in the paper yesterday. You are now imbedded in my cranium whenever I see Arnolds likeness anywhere

Awww, mate! Feel all warm and cosy inside now.

To echo D-Mal there, it's pretty much the same for me these days. In The Night Garden and Shaun The Sheep are all the rage in the Malbranque household.

I'm genuinely worried about this. A) Because i might end up liking some of that tosh and B) worse still, my little'un might and if that happens, i have quite literally nothing to offer, my bedtime stories will be more along the line of

"and then, Colonel Matrix tore a steam pipe off the wall...."

• Paid Members

I watched the 2011 remake of the British classic Straw Dogs a few nights ago, I know it's not popular to dislike renowned old films here but I really didn't care for the original much, I seem to remember some dated themes I wasn't comfortable with. Anyway I watched the remake and it was ok, changing the setting from the English countryside to the Southern States was the only big change and it worked well.

The main reason I bothered to talk about it here is to say Alexander Skarsgard is brilliant, I have no idea what the consensus is on him, I've seen his name about and I know he's a lanky Swede but I'd never really seen him in anything. He blew me away in this film, he was so believable as a terrifying big redneck good old Southern boy I could hardly believe it was him. I'll definitely watch out for him in more stuff, I was really impressed, he held the whole film together.

• Paid Members
The main reason I bothered to talk about it here is to say Alexander Skarsgard is brilliant, I have no idea what the consensus is on him, I've seen his name about and I know he's a lanky Swede but I'd never really seen him in anything. He blew me away in this film, he was so believable as a terrifying big redneck good old Southern boy I could hardly believe it was him. I'll definitely watch out for him in more stuff, I was really impressed, he held the whole film together.

Haven't seen too many thing with him in, but I've yet to see him in anything good. Which is a compliment. True Blood fell to bits in short order, but he was a great big bright spot for so much of the show. He was also in the fuck-awful Disconnect, and despite the shiteness of the film overall, his performance was excellent. He's a big lanky sod, too.

• Paid Members
The original is the only Peckinpah film that I really like. No interest in the remake, though unless Kate Bosworth gets them out.

The original wasn't terrible but I really didn't like

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

the rape scene, that put me off the film, the whole "is she enjoying or not thing"

made me feel uncomfortable and I thought it really showed the film's age, it's been about 15 years since I've seen it so I could be remembering it as worse than it was. The Boz doesn't get them out in the remake but she does show a bit of skin and some through a vest pokey nipplage

• Paid Members

The scene in question is certainly challenging but I think that the whole film is supposed to be that way in terms of pretty much every major character see-sawing between being heroes and villains. I can understand people having a problem with it but I think in the context of the film it works and has more to say than it might get credit for.

• Paid Members
To echo D-Mal there, it's pretty much the same for me these days. In The Night Garden and Shaun The Sheep are all the rage in the Malbranque household.

I'm genuinely worried about this. A) Because i might end up liking some of that tosh and B) worse still, my little'un might and if that happens, i have quite literally nothing to offer, my bedtime stories will be more along the line of

"and then, Colonel Matrix tore a steam pipe off the wall...."

Shawn the Sheep has plenty jokes in it aimed at the parents to keep it entertaining. Any series that pays homage to Airplane! is alright with me.

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

• Paid Members
The scene in question is certainly challenging but I think that the whole film is supposed to be that way in terms of pretty much every major character see-sawing between being heroes and villains. I can understand people having a problem with it but I think in the context of the film it works and has more to say than it might get credit for.

The most disturbing thing about that whole film is Susan George's very shit acting.

Pekingpah was a monumental shit and, outside of a few of the guys that used to drink and work with him, no one has anything good to say about him as a person. There was a documentary about the BBFC about 15 years ago with some great talking heads with James Ferman and there was a lot of debate over if the scene was effective because of the way it was played or because a lot of people assumed Pekingpah genuinely had so much contempt for women and believed they were all pretty much as portrayed in the film.

Guy could direct action though, The Wild Bunch is a fantastic film

• Paid Members

The most disturbing thing about that whole film is Susan George's very shit acting.

Pekingpah was a monumental shit and, outside of a few of the guys that used to drink and work with him, no one has anything good to say about him as a person. There was a documentary about the BBFC about 15 years ago with some great talking heads with James Ferman and there was a lot of debate over if the scene was effective because of the way it was played or because a lot of people assumed Pekingpah genuinely had so much contempt for women and believed they were all pretty much as portrayed in the film.

Or if it was effective at all, like I said, I found the scene uncomfortable and dated, not provocative, Susan George's horrible acting certainly didn't help.

Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia, now that's a good Peckinpah film.

• Paid Members

My main gripes with the Straw Dogs remake was that casing James Marsden in the lead was ridiculous. He's 6ft & absolutely ripped. He was an 'X-Man' ffs! Hardly the shocking transformation from wimp to vigilante that Dustin Hoffman went through. Also, the sub-plot with the mentally handicapped bloke served absolutely no purpose at all either. James Woods hamming it up was quite fun though.

I love the original Straw Dogs, and to some extent I don't really care what Pekinpah's motivation in the rape scene was, because I found it really difficult to watch and disturbing, and it's provocative nature raised a lot of interesting questions.

I also think her shit acting actually helps because her character sort of drifting in a pretend world for a lot of the film, and "playing" a part, but nobody else is.

• Awards Moderator
Nick Soapdish - Seeing Films so you don't have to...

1 - The Lone Ranger: If they cut the first 2 hours down to a 10 minutes of anything of note and kept the last half hour as it is, it would have been a 3 and a 1/2 *'s movie. As it currently sits ** stars.

I'm a Lone Ranger apologist - I didn't mind most of it, and even the bits I did mind, didn't seem so bad upon rewatching - but I can totally understand the problems people have with a lot of it. It's a shame it has those problems, because as I've said again and again, that last half hour is glorious. The most bonkers, over-the-top, exhilarating, spectacular action sequence I've seen for ages, and I just wish the rest of the film could have lived up to it. I know Zimmer's a dirty word round here, but even just listening to his version of the William Tell Overture has got so much bombast and grandeur to it, you end up either air-conducting or daydreaming you could be the Lone Ranger trying to stop an out-of-control runaway train. That's how the whole film should have felt, and it didn't, but I'll forever maintain that that sequence makes it worth watching.

Anyway, saw Inside Llewyn Davis at the weekend and loved it. It's the first film for ages that I've seen and then had to immediately buy the soundtrack (I think the last one of those was probably Crazy Heart). T Bone Burnett does amazing things for films. The film itself is probably one of my favourite Coen Brothers movies, but it's the music that makes it. And Oscar Isaac. And the Gorfeins' cat. I'd have bought Llewyn's album.

• Paid Members

Caught Out of the Furnace which is probably one of the few times in a film that every cast member put in 110%. Many have said it falls short but I still thought it was well worth watching, gripping and thoughtful insight to tough times felt by Americans at the moment.