DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'd start with Moonwalker. It's not aged particularly well as a whole, but the concert footage and videos are still pretty spectacular. If you've seen it, you'll get your nostalgia fix in early and pep you up, and the later films will help you forget the weak bits.

If you've not seen it before, then the later films will help you get over the "what the fuck?" moments.

• Paid Members

Just watched "Moonwalker". Really liked it. I'm sure a lot of people just despised it.

Jackson was definately at his top popularity level there. After that, it was down all the way.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Definitely. I was watching it late on just before bed, and as the final couple of scenes were taking place I had to sit up and put the light on or else I'd have probably ended up in tears myself. I had to watch a little bit of comedy before calling it a night, that night. As I said earlier, the film resonated in my mind for days afterwards. You know you're onto something special if its affecting you days later.

• Paid Members
I'm really looking forward to seeing 'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty' and 'Her'.

Does anyone know if there's a release date for 'Her' yet?

There was a trailer for Her before Walter Mitty and it looks brilliant but a little like the whole plots given away in the trailer. Mitty was way better than I expected, poignant, original and makes you want to book any old crazy trip on Expedia once you get home.

• Awards Moderator
I'm really looking forward to seeing 'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty' and 'Her'.

Does anyone know if there's a release date for 'Her' yet?

There was a trailer for Her before Walter Mitty and it looks brilliant but a little like the whole plots given away in the trailer. Mitty was way better than I expected, poignant, original and makes you want to book any old crazy trip on Expedia once you get home.

Her is currently scheduled for a February 14th release over here.

• Paid Members

I saw The Lone Ranger a while back, after hearing how badly it was received I wasn't expecting much but I've never been one to put too much sway in other peoples' opinions so I was totally open to enjoying it. I'd seen a 6 minute preview of one of the action set pieces which was screened after Man of Steel when I saw it at the cinema so felt like I had some expectation of what the tone would be, I sat back late at night by myself and stuck it on ready to go along for the ride, what followed was a film where some parts were so incongruous to others I could scarcely believe it. It seemed to last forever and the action was so over the top it was ridiculous, visually impressive yes but liberties were certainly taken with the laws of physics. If the whole film had been in that vein I could have enjoyed it at face value as a fun flick but the over the top parts were interspersed with boring extended periods where hardly anything happened (except often Tom Wilkinson talking), I don't mean just necessary parts to get the storyline across but really dry long parts that hurt the pace of the already 40 minutes too long film. My main complaint though is about one scene in particular in which ...

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

A brave tribe of Native Americans is wiped out by American soldiers, this just seemed cruel and unnecessary, I'm well aware of the history of the West but to see the entire tribe mowed down so unfairly by the superior weaponry of the white man left a bad taste in my mouth. It really didn't need to be in what is essentially a kid's adventure film, this was I'm sure also after already seeing Tonto's family killed when he was a boy (but I don't remember 100%, there was definitely a lot of Indian genocide). If it had been a film purporting to tell the plight of the Indians I would have been all for it it but it was not needed here, especially as a couple of minutes later they were running around happily on top of trains and shit while the William Tell overture was playing.

I really did like Johnny Depp as Tonto though and I could've really enjoyed a shorter snappier film with lots of the same qualities, this was a bit of a bloated mess though unfortunately.

I watched that on a flight a couple of months ago and in any other context I'd probably have turned it off after an hour or so because I hated it so much. The final ridiculous action sequence put to the theme tune basically saved it in my eyes. Had the whole movie had that tone it probably would have been good fun.

• Paid Members

Got some vouchers as a thank you from work so just bought the Complete Twilight Zone on Blu Ray from Amazon. I started working my way through them on Netflix before they were removed. Has anyone ever watched the entire run through? I know there's some stinkers in there but the classics more than make up for it.

• Paid Members

The 60s ones.

The 80s ones has some real shit in it which was disappointing considering the talent involved. Wes Craven directed about a quater of the first season and they had John Milus and Joe Dante involved as well with some great writers like Ray Bradbury and Stephen King having their stuff adapted but it was far too hit and miss which was a shame. Will probably still end up buying them all at some point

• Paid Members

Totoro was the pick me up second feature for Grave of the Fireflies, and basically saved the double bill from flopping, because although GotF is great, it makes you want to kill yourself. That's why Totoro is lovely, and cute, and insubstantial, and less than 90 minutes long.

I watched 10 Rillington Place the other day, and it was cracking. Hurt and Attenborough are both exceptional, especially Attenborough's Christie, who I am now convinced was a major inspiration behind The League of Gentleman's Hillary Briss, especially with his whisper-talking.

Edited by Bill Diarrhea

• Paid Members

10 Rillington Place is fantastic, Hurt manages to balance his character really well. It would have been very easy to make him into a slow witted caricature. You're spot on with the League of Gentlemen reference as well.