Old School Raw

King Pitcos

• Paid Members
As much as I love the 80's, it depresses me to see them come out to no pop and today's clueless audience looking at them like they were from Mars.

yeh man, i felt bad for Honky :(

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if they ever considered going back to that logo full-time. I doubt it was ever given much thought because it's a backwards step in a lot of ways, but they did start using it for Cena's throwback merchandise in about 2004 or 2005. I remember half-wanting some of the stuff that had it on.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's when i first thought of it too. I don't think it would be a backwards step if it wasn't exactly like the one above but a variation, it would suit their evolution perfectly i think. The product has gone back to a more family friendly show anyway and the scratch logo really doesn't fit. And everyone loves nostalgia shit. I think if it was just the outline it would look well smart and could be filled with different themes/colours for different events and things, sort of like they kind of did with the new generation logo.

I loved the old school touches too, particularly the open 'Then. Now. Forever' for this show.

• Paid Members

From what I understand, they changed to the scratch logo in the wake of the steroid scandal, as part of their strategy to re-hab their reputation. Now that it's a recognised brand and there's no other real competition, I don't think there's much chance of them changing it for the foreseeable future - re-branding is expensive, and if they didn't change things up in the wake of Wah, there's probably no situation extreme enough that would warrant a re-brand, sadly.

I've always preferred block metal logos - even preferred TNA's old block gold letters to their current logo (which isn't bad, to be fair).

No, after the steroid thing, they went to the "New Generation" variation of the standard block logo.

brand.gif

But they continued to use the metallic logo too. The WWF Magazine kept using that until it switched to the scratch logo in the May 1998 issue. Although for a couple of months before that, the WWF block logo on the front wasn't metallic and was coloured to fit the cover image - flames effect for Kane and Paul Bearer, metallic/b&w for a Tyson/Austin/Michaels cover. The scratch logo was to fit the attitude era.

I always liked the version of the scratch logo that the magazines and merchandise sometimes used but that never/rarely made it on TV, the one with the block logo variation behind it.

wwf1998-10.jpg

• Paid Members

Ahhh, I see.

I've never seen that scratch/block logo - it's a LOT better than just the scratch logo. If they had to keep the scratch, they should've had it like that - it looks decent even now. Still would prefer the block metal though.

The scratch was bad enough when it was WWF, when it got cut to WW it just looked terrible, and still does.

They should have a rebranding. To be honest they should go back to WWF, as I understand there's now no legal impediment to it.

The scratch was bad enough when it was WWF, when it got cut to WW it just looked terrible, and still does.

They should have a rebranding. To be honest they should go back to WWF, as I understand there's now no legal impediment to it.

I'm pretty sure their is. I'm certain they've only been allowed to use the logos but still aren't allowed to use the term "WWF".

I'm pretty sure their is. I'm certain they've only been allowed to use the logos but still aren't allowed to use the term "WWF".

Yeah, they don't have to censor "WWF" out of old shows anymore but they can't use it for new stuff. And it would be madness to change the name again now even if they could.

• Moderators
Everybody still calls it WWF, though. Even after all these years, that brand has more identity than the new one.

No they don't. I've been corrected for saying WWF twice in recent months. (which I only said because I also assumed most people thought it was called that still)

Kids call it WWE and they're what matters.

Decent episode, do still wish it was only 2 hours but can't see it changing anytime soon, anyway it's two days since I watched it and the thing I remember the most is how good Rosa's arse looked

Oh and the Cena/Rock interview is the best thing the two of them have done together

• Paid Members

The scratch logo looks horribly dated these days, not that it ever looked all that good in the first place. It was obviously a good fit for the Attitude era and was an important move in successfully adapting the image of the WWF at the time, but just like pretty much every aspect of the presentation from the late 90s, it has not aged well.

Even though it's an older logo, the block one actually looks more current. I'd love them to adopt it permanently, but I just don't see it happening. In this age, brand identity and recognition is so important to a global business like WWE. Rebranding would be a major operation that would cost millions of dollars and isn't something they would consider undertaking unless there was a real need to do so. If they could show that outdated or negative connotations of the brand were preventing the company from going where they want to go, they might want to think about it, but I don't think that's the case. Concentrate on improving the product instead.

• Paid Members
Even though it's an older logo, the block one actually looks more current. I'd love them to adopt it permanently, but I just don't see it happening. In this age, brand identity and recognition is so important to a global business like WWE. Rebranding would be a major operation that would cost millions of dollars and isn't something they would consider undertaking unless there was a real need to do so. If they could show that outdated or negative connotations of the brand were preventing the company from going where they want to go, they might want to think about it, but I don't think that's the case. Concentrate on improving the product instead.

Exactly. Like I mentioned earlier, the nearest they've ever come to a need for re-branding was Benoit and the furore that followed, and if they didn't feel the need to re-brand then, I don't foresee there being any need to do so any time soon - especially with the new belt they've introduced.

Archived