Old School Raw

King Pitcos

• Paid Members
HHH im coming back to kick your ass promo was lame he just wont show any fear at all

Who wants to see a scared HHH? He has had his arm broken twice, lost and been forced into supposed retirement by the man, if after all that he came out and said oh I'm scared of Brock, not sure if I can get the Job done but I'll give it a shot, nobodys going to pay to see it are they.

People will pay to see a fired up HHH gets his revenge on Brock. Brock dosn't look any weaker because HHH isn't scared to face him.

He has faced The Undertaker the past 2 years at Mania, theres no need to show him scared to face Brock after what he gone through before.

Im saying if he showed even a bit of anything other than a total no sell of brock the fued would be better. All it would take would be a little unsure that he could win.

Kinda like "i may not be able to win, but if im going down then im taking you with me" deal. Put HHH in some kind of peril. Im not saying scared just not a total blank on what brock has done to him in the past.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though Henry may get a more positive response than Ryback at Mania if they do go with that match, I dont think it will be anything substantial. As great as Henry is; he and Show got booed out of the building at MSG at Survivor Series 2011 and the crowd were chanting for Daniel Bryan. I imagine Mania will be made up of a lot of the same type of fans.

As for Taker vs Punk, I'd be a little more sold that Punk may end the streak if matches with Cena and Lesnar had already happened and there weren't any more logical big money making opponents left to take on Undertaker on the big stage. However, I'm looking forward to see what the pair manage to do together in terms of build up and I felt that the 2009 programme never really got off it's feet so it would be nice to see the pair feud again with a little more on the line and Punk as a more established opponent. I think the match will deliver and I think the match would benefit from a no DQ stipulation (as would Triple H vs Brock) as I think Punk would benefit from having a trusty steel chair as an ally in this match to appear more of a threat.

It might not have the billing of Hell in a cell, career vs streak or anything like that but it's more appealing than the other big matches for me and I look forward to seeing it.

But he's the returning hot babyface here to get his revenge.

Since when has a babyface played the role scared?

It's not like he's Cena who won a match, and then circumstances conspired to make his reward The Rock who he hasn't beaten. After x amount of months a rejuvenated Triple H has made a conscious decision to return and kill Lesnar. It'd be shit after 6 months of healing he came back but was still nursing psychological wounds.

Also, given his character and his history, he's in a place now where he is and should be considered fearless and ultimately confident. Undertaker wouldn't be unsure of himself, nor would Stone Cold or The Rock. The only reason Cena is acting unsure is because they've put a year of leg work into getting him in this position, and once he gets his heat back we'll never see that side of him again. And anyway, in stage age terms, Cena is a million years younger than Triple H.

Trips is the grizzled veteran who's gone through all his crisis of confidence in the past. He's a special attraction now, a legend, and people want to see the legend proper; the ass kicker, the cerebral assassin etc..

Wrestlemania is still looking pretty shite. I know it'll likely only be a 10 minute opener but Swagger/Del Rio is nonsense. Non-title? Fine. But two guys who were a complete irrelevance three months ago getting this kind of focus baffles me, especially when guys they were building last year - Ryback, Sheamus, Ziggler, Cesaro, Sandow - now seem to be doing fuck all. The possibility of Henry/Ryback is the only interesting looking thing even if it don't make sense in Rybacks story.

Cena's promo was TREMENDOUS tonight. So good that I've decided he's the best talker I've ever seen not named Flair. When he's on his game anyway (which is all too rare).

The Shields promo was their best yet. Ambrose's "the eye of the Shield is always watching" line really stuck. Ominous, in the words of Cole. Was 100% convinced they would interrupt the four way considering who was in it. Good to see Punk get a clean win though, he is going on to face the Taker for fucks sake. I pretty sure Punk can make their upcoming match seem interesting.

Cesaro and Ryback clubbing the shit out of each other was the best match on the show. Just give Ryback and Orton the bloody US/Int titles, christ.

No Maddox makes me sad.

The very bestest thing about Raw though was the little "we want Virgil chant", and Titus O' Neil reacting to it. Fuck it, HE should be getting the World title push. (Titus).

It's about time they go with a real "I'm desperate to beat Taker and I'll do ANYTHING to succeed" but I don't think they'll go the whole way with it. If I was CM Punk I'd spend an episode of Raw trying to persuade The Shield to help him out. For one reason or another they refuse, so later in the night we see Punk on the phone to Luke Gallows (no doubt Punk can drop some "hilarious" inside joke without mentioning TNA). When that fails, he tries to round up the members of the New Nexus, but when Punk confronts Taker at the end of the episode the only people that show are Otunga and McGillicutty and Taker simply batters them into oblivion. Maybe on a show after that Punk can turn his attention to former Mania opponents of Taker.

It would be cool if he tries super hard to get Taker DQ'd or counted out at Mania (handcuff him outside or something?) for some great near-finishes that don't have to be pinfall attempts.

Heath Slater is still brilliant. I know there was some of the same 'Old School' faces like Slaughter and Duggan but you don't often get the Honkey Tonk Man...or the freaking New Ages Outlaws!

Enjoyed watching it and liked Swagger beating up the Old Timers! John Cena was on fire and I like the new title, if the logo was a bit smaller and there was more of a design to the main plate I think it would be top class.

4 way was brilliant and let's not forget HBK wrestled JBL to get a shot at the streak so that's happened before and I can't wait for CM Punk vs The Undertaker! Like others have said I hope Punk tries to weasel his way to a win.

Daniel Bryan stealing the money was funny but I'm a bit sick of Hell No, have they feuded with another team ever or do they just feud with other?

Ryback vs Mark Henry could be great! Feeling very positive about Wrestlemania actually, there is going to be the specatcle of Rock vs Cena II, the brawl between HHH and Lesnar, Punk trying to take the streak, Swagger and Del Rio in what could be a great encounter with plenty of emotion and the who knows what else! Jericho, Orton, Sheamus, Ziggler, Miz, The Sheild, Big Show, Rey Mysterio, Sin Cara, Team Hell No and Wade Barrett all with no confirmed plans yet!

My only really disappointment is Cesaro losing all the time now, and then they've seemingly forgotten about Sandow, Rhodes and a few others but I guess people always get lost in the Wrestlemania shuffle.

• Paid Members

I'm actually looking forward to Punk/Taker more than anything else on the card. And I can suspend my disbelief for a few reasons.

One is that Punk is capable of making me believe like nobody else on the roster. He's won a lot of people over backstage, which is obvious in the way he's been elevated consistently over the last couple of years. He's obviously got the backing of Vince and HHH in a way that, even a year ago, he didn't. He's in an absolutely peach spot on the roster, and it looks like he's shown that he can draw money with The Rock (as far as I'm aware, the buyrates haven't been released, so I may be wrong in that).

Another is that he plays the game, and he plays it well. He's not afraid to pull the "well, y'know, I'm leaving in a year or two anyway" card. He knows how to act like it's not important to him to stay, which means that he knows full well how valuable he is. I could see this being a commitment to Punk from WWE, in return for him staying around for longer.

Also, I've just recently watched the Punk DVD, and the point is made there that Taker gained respect for Punk after being in the ring with him. Considering how he badmouthed Punk for being disrespectful, and then went over him repeatedly, I could actually see Taker being up for feeling like he owes Punk one.

He's the first guy that Taker has fought in a while that could legitimately use the bragging rights. HHH and HBK were wrapping up their careers. Punk's character would be unbearable if he won, which would be entertaining as hell. There's nobody on the roster that could use the win like Punk, and there hasn't been since Edge.

Character-wise, I think he's just hitting his stride. If he's hit his peak and is cooling off, that's one thing, but if this is him just getting into his stride, then I could see WWE wanting to give him as much as possible in order to help him be as big as possible.

He beats Taker, who isn't going to want to see him get his ass kicked? And sure, you could be throwing away those big money matches with Lesnar and Cena, but you'd be trading off against building the stock in a guy who is there for every PPV.

None of this means that I think he's winning. The predictable outcome is the more likely one. But there's enough there for me to happily suspend my disbelief. There's enough there for me to think Punk stands more of a chance than anyone has for years.

Punks not a kid, though.

He's a banged up bloke in his mid 30s who only sleeps on prescription. Worst, he's a pretty clever banged up bloke in his mid 30s who only sleeps on prescription.

If he was dumb like 95% of wrestlers, he'd keep the prescriptions going as well as taking on a secondary addiction to fend off any increasing pain. Unfortunately for us, he's probably just going to fuck off for a long time if not forever.

Hasn't he always said he's going to 35 and then leaving?

• Paid Members
Yeah, but knowing they won't throw the streak away on a cheap finish is different to thinking Punks not a threat because of profile, aura, stature or performance.

The latter reasons can be attributed to bad booking or, worst, poor performance on Punks part but the former is just our 'smart' credentials doing as they do, and biting us on the arse and hampering our enjoyment.

I could understand why it could affect your personal ability to suspend disbelief Gladders, but its harsh to make general judgments based on that framework because if its anyone's fault it is our own.

It's be rubbish if they started booking feuds solely based on the rationale that they didn't want the small percentage of Internet fans to be able to read the writing on the wall. It'd be Russo at his worst, all over again.

Like I said earlier, it's purely a personal thing although I will say it's nothing to do with me being 'smart' or anything. Speaking purely as a passive wrestling fan these days who only watches Raw every other week if he can be bothered, logistically I can't see Punk having a chance regardless of who's fault it might be that I don't see him as such. It's nothing to do with being smart to it all, honestly.

I do see why it's a logical feud and I think it's good in a way that they believe Punk has reached a level where they feel he can be seen as a legitimate contender and I would love it in the next few weeks if they could do something to convince me, honestly. I just don't see it happening.

• Paid Members

That's exactly what I was talking about when I said this:

Another is that he plays the game, and he plays it well. He's not afraid to pull the "well, y'know, I'm leaving in a year or two anyway" card. He knows how to act like it's not important to him to stay, which means that he knows full well how valuable he is. I could see this being a commitment to Punk from WWE, in return for him staying around for longer.

He was meant to be taking loads of time off when he did 'the big speech', but didn't then. Instead, he got a tour bus and first class travel. Throw in a reduced schedule, and you've probably got another couple of years in him.

Really, he plays the game brilliantly. IF they were to throw something like this at him, I could easily see it being to try and keep him around for another two years on top of what he said, not ten years.

I guess what I mean is, there's not many kids or hillbillies out there saying that Punk won't cheat himself a victory because the booking team won't piss it away like that.

Smart or not, you need a clue to think that and for the most part wrestling fans don't.

What I'd like them to do is have Punk cheat a three count, Heyman interference or something, and then really drag out his victory celebrations before Vince comes out and restarts the match.

If they do it well, they could really work the crowd.

And, on the plus side you keep the streak alive but let Punk rant about being screwed after the fact.

Ryback vs Mark Henry could be great! Feeling very positive about Wrestlemania actually, there is going to be the specatcle of Rock vs Cena II, the brawl between HHH and Lesnar, Punk trying to take the streak, Swagger and Del Rio in what could be a great encounter with plenty of emotion and the who knows what else! Jericho, Orton, Sheamus, Ziggler, Miz, The Sheild, Big Show, Rey Mysterio, Sin Cara, Team Hell No and Wade Barrett all with no confirmed plans yet!

Looking forward to Ryback/Henry, although i think the New York crowd will shit all over it.

I'd say we have 6 matches that are definate for Mania now, maybe throw in Jericho/Ziggler and some sort of multi man tag and that will probably be it.

Archived