UFC 157: 'Rousey vs Carmouche'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I wanna see arse chin bust out some of his unconventional offence, since moving to the UFC (or down to 135 for that matter) he's become a little more conventional, not overly but we aint seen him anything wild in a while. In the WEC he did all sorts of crazy shit.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah he's defo toned that down. Maybe he thinks it's not worth the risk with the quicker guys at 135. Also, being so wild has fucked him up before, like when he tried that reverse elbow on Mike Brown in their first fight and got knocked out.

Saying that, I think Menjivar's unique style could bring out some of the old fancy stuff from Faber. I'm expecting that to be a really fun fight.

Not much has been made of it but Faber vs Menjivar is actually a rematch. They fought back in 2006 on one of them TKO shows in Canada. Faber won when Menjivar was DQd for kicking Faber on the ground.

Anyone seen Faber vs Menjivar 1? I can't find a video sadly. Just a short clip on Youtube in shite quality with music dubbed over. Looked a good fight.

The second episode of Prime Time was so good at building up Carmouche that I wouldn't even consider it bad for business if she won the title now. A true Rocky story, she came across brilliantly throughout. It's amazing that the UFC can take a woman very few people have heard of and make her into a star in about fifty minutes of TV time. In fact, Cramouche winning would probably be the best thing that could happen for the division now, making an even bigger star out of Liz and building to the natural re-match.

That's not too bad considering the reports are that Carmouche has had less than eight minutes of screen time in both episodes.

• Paid Members
The second episode of Prime Time was so good at building up Carmouche that I wouldn't even consider it bad for business if she won the title now. A true Rocky story, she came across brilliantly throughout. It's amazing that the UFC can take a woman very few people have heard of and make her into a star in about fifty minutes of TV time. In fact, Cramouche winning would probably be the best thing that could happen for the division now, making an even bigger star out of Liz and building to the natural re-match.

That's not too bad considering the reports are that Carmouche has had less than eight minutes of screen time in both episodes.

Is that 8 TOTAL, or 8 in each?

I have to admit I'm now bizarrely rooting for Carmouche too.

I'm not sure, I've not seen either episode but I've read some fans comments about it.

I have to admit I'm now bizarrely rooting for Carmouche too.

As much as I love Rousey, a Carmouch victory is exactly what the division needs. You have the direct rematch ready and the upset would be the best way to kickstart it. It also tests Ronda in her ability to get back from mabye the a knockout or else a uad loss.

Plus it brings us closer to the Rousey Cyborg fight, wich is THE match to do in Womens MMA.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure, I've not seen either episode but I've read some fans comments about it.

Well, each ep is only 20 mins after adverts so I don't think it's too bad. I certainly didn't feel that it was too heavy on Rousey. However, there's no doubt there's certainly more of her.

Wand, oh yes, a lizbo that I am...or maybe I'm a FABO?

1sinN6, I can agree with your first point and that it will be potentially good for the divison if Carmouche wins, but I can't see how a loss is good for a Rousey/Cyborg fight?

If Rousey gets beat, then no one will even consider her a threat to Cyborg?

• Paid Members

Cyborg is not under contract to Zuffa anymore anyway so it's moot. Funnily enough, the girl Cyborg is set to fight in Invicta, Ediane Gomes, is the same girl who Ronda made her pro MMA debut against. Ronda won (armbar of course) in 25 seconds.

Like I said, they can't really lose whatever the result but as much as I like Carmouche, I want the Rousey wagon to keep going. She's fucking awesome and she's great for the sport. She's got that star quality the division needs, especially a new division.

• Paid Members
Cyborg is not under contract to Zuffa anymore anyway so it's moot. Funnily enough, the girl Cyborg is set to fight in Invicta, Ediane Gomes, is the same girl who Ronda made her pro MMA debut against. Ronda won (armbar of course) in 25 seconds.

Like I said, they can't really lose whatever the result but as much as I like Carmouche, I want the Rousey wagon to keep going. She's fucking awesome and she's great for the sport. She's got that star quality the division needs, especially a new division.

You're probably right. I think overall the division will benefit more from a Rousey win. I think we need a few wins, and when eventually she does lose, a new star will be born.

I think maybe there's too much to lose if Rousey gets beat.

• Paid Members

I did some more reading and apparently that's over both the 1st & 2nd episodes.

Why not watch it yourself before you start on your usual negative rollout? I can't really remember the first episode, but I remember thinking Liz got quite a bit of time during the second. Certainly what seemed more than 8 minutes in total.

Edit - Just skimmed through part 2 on Youtube now and Liz got around 7 minutes. Like I said, I don't really recall the first episode, but her appearance must have been brief. :rolleyes:

• Paid Members

I still haven't watched the Primetimes yet but listening to Dana's media scrum in London, I'm intrigued by what he was saying about Ronda's striking.

Now, a big fuck off pinch of salt was taken, because I know it's Dana's job to create hype. But he was saying he's been seeing what she's been doing regarding her striking and seemed hugely impressed, but he stopped himself giving away too much.

I've seen some of her padwork and it was pretty good. But I thought her stand up looked pretty worryingly bad in the Tate fight. From Dana's talk it sounds like she's really grafting away on her striking and has made improvements.

I hope she doesn't go the Maia route and stray too far from her bread and butter. But tightening up her stand up and defence can only be good.

Has there been much striking footage of Ronda so far on Primetime?

• Paid Members

How would people feel if Rousey won by decision? If it happened, that's probably what would be best for the division, 1. providing grounds for a re-match, 2. showing the division is competitive, 3. keeping Rousey strong.

BTW, I'm well aware that this sounds completely wrestling. Leave me alone, I'm still getting back into non-worked sports.

• Paid Members
How would people feel if Rousey won by decision? If it happened, that's probably what would be best for the division

It would depend how good the fight was. 5 rounds of boredom would be disaster. 5 rounds back and forth would be great for the division.

For me, the best possible scenario would be 2 or 3 rounds of war with Liz pushing Ronda like no-one has before, escapes an armbar, hurts and drops Ronda at some point, Ronda drops Liz, Ronda loses a round for the first time in her career. But ultimately, Ronda digs down deep and in the 3rd round, Judo throws Carmouche and locks on the armbar for the tap.

From this we'd get...

*A great fight to kick off the UFC women's division. And competitive enough to warrant a rematch down the road.

*The continuation of Ronda's rise to MMA stardom, making her next fight must see.

*Ronda shows heart and some striking.

*Carmouche's popularity rises.

If it was WWE, that's how I'd book it.

Archived