UFC 157: 'Rousey vs Carmouche'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
I'm only on my phone at the moment so can't check, but has anyone seen any odds for Carmouche yet? If she's 4/1 against or longer I plan to stick a few quid on her.

You can get 7/1 on Liz at PaddyPower at the minute, which I'm leaning towards doing myself. I think MOM has said a few times that Bet365 are the most generous though.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Having now seen Episode 3 of Prime Time, there's no argument that this was some of the best TV they've ever produced. An amazing episode, the promotion for this fight stands neck and neck with any I can think of. I don't know how many people will see it since it was only shown on Fuel TV and the internet, but I genuinely can't imagine anyone watching all three episodes and not wanting to buy the pay per view. An absolute triumph from start to finish, I can't recommend it enough.

• Paid Members

thoughts on Neer/McGee? it's the forgotten fight on the main card and for my money is the dark horse for fight of the night. Both guys are on two fight skids and i think it's safe to say the loser is getting cut.

It's got the makings of a great brawl, i'd probably give McGee a technical advantage on the feet but Neer's got that hard nosed come forward style and despite being sparked by Mike Pyle recently i don't see him changing anything.

The whole 'cut' thing may determine how it goes and see one guy try and play it safebecause i think a win is the most important thing here but if both guys fight like they usually do it could be some good shit.

Having now seen Episode 3 of Prime Time, there's no argument that this was some of the best TV they've ever produced. An amazing episode, the promotion for this fight stands neck and neck with any I can think of. I don't know how many people will see it since it was only shown on Fuel TV and the internet, but I genuinely can't imagine anyone watching all three episodes and not wanting to buy the pay per view. An absolute triumph from start to finish, I can't recommend it enough.

That's the disappointing thing for me, that it was only shown on FUEL.

It really did deserve more exposure, I'm sure UFC would've wanted it on FX (like all the previous editions of Primetime were) which is probably why they've been plugging the Youtube version of it so much lately - and who can blame them!

Jason Hehir did a brilliant job with it.

• Paid Members

Couldn't agree more on Primetime. I've just watched all 3 episodes back to back and I think it's trumped the Diaz vs Condit series which was my favourite up to now.

Fantastic. Who'd have guessed Carmouche would shine this much in the promotion of this fight? I bet even Dana and co didn't expect her to come across quite this well. I was already pumped but after watching Primetime it's gone up another level.

This Primetime has been a home run on all fronts.

i wanna put money down but i've still never won a bean on MMA and im fed up of losing :(

Same here. Never won a penny off the bookies for MMA. I'm tempted though. I think Rousey wins but those odds have me tempted. I've kind of been suckered in by Primetime as well in that I'm now questioning if all these media commitments will prove too much for Ronda.

METAL_ON_METAL is the John McCririck of MMA betting. 8/1 on the nose for Carmouche, 11/8 off the shoulder for Lavar and all that :)

UFC 157 Primetime: Rousey vs. Carmouche is one of the best ever builds to a UFC show, hope it draws like it deserves to for that reason.

• Paid Members

That's the disappointing thing for me, that it was only shown on FUEL.

It really did deserve more exposure, I'm sure UFC would've wanted it on FX (like all the previous editions of Primetime were) which is probably why they've been plugging the Youtube version of it so much lately - and who can blame them!

Jason Hehir did a brilliant job with it.

I thought that too. Having watched the last half of Episode 3 again, I genuinely believe that if this was shown on Spike TV or FX to upwards of a million people then we'd be looking at a ridiculously high buy rate, easily above 500,000. I can't say enough good things about it.

EDIT: It's obviously made a difference in successfully shifting tickets, as Meltzer reports:

UFC 157, Ronda at the Honda, was announced today as being sold out. As of 5 p.m., there were 500 tickets left and the number of comps is said to be lower than usual. The gate was at $1.4 million as of today which would be in the range of 12,000 paid.

The number of actual tickets sold after opening weekend is the most for any UFC event except for the Randy Couture vs. Tim Sylvia show in Columbus, OH, but the key there is that Couture vs. Sylvia sold late because tickets were put on sale before Couture was announced for the show.

This was a show that did not at first have a lot of interest, but the company and all the media created interest. It will be very intereting to see the audience makeup, whether it skews more female (as the Gina Carano vs. Cris Cyborg crowd in San Jose was).

This is even more impressive because the Los Angeles/Anaheim market has been tough for UFC outside of the first show sellout in 2006. An amazing stat is that the paid ticket sales and gate for this show are more than for the last show the company had in the building, which was the Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos title match on the first FOX show. Think about how heavily publicized that show was, and it was the heavyweight champion who was Hispanic.

There are also only 94 tickets avaialble on the resale market through Stubhub.

• Paid Members

It's been a massive success already. The only thing left is to hope the fights deliver.

Everyone made weight, apart from Nah-Shon Burrell who came in over 5lbs heavy which is ridiculous. Also, if he loses, I'd guess he's pretty much guaranteed that he's a gonner. He couldn't have picked a worse time to miss weight, than the week Dana announces they need to trim100 fighters from the roster.

Chiesa came in at 156.2 but nothing was said. What's the deal there? I know .2 of a pound is fuck all but he is technically overweight. But it wasn't acknowledged.

Machida came in light again at 202. I said Machida on points since the fight was announced but I've got a feeling in my gut that this might be the night Hendo finally looks old. A combo of the layoff, injuries and Machida's speed and movement, I just have a feeling he's gonna make Hendo look bad.

I hope I'm wrong and we get a war but it's my gut feeling. I think we might see Hendo KO'd for the first time tonight :(

Machida, KO/TKO, Round 2.

Bas Rutten has a interesting perspective on Machida

http://www.bjpenn.com/bas-rutten-critiques...apons-ufc-news/

"Dan is the man's man. Like any guy on the planet, they love Dan because Dan's got a lot of heart and he always comes to fight. I always get emotional because he's really that guy. And that's why I want to see him win, and I think that Dan has really the chance because he knows when he lands the 'H-bomb' everybody knows it...it's gonna be goodnight. And I know Machida...I'm gonna get a lot of heat now...Machida doesn't have a lot of weapons, but whatever he does, he does REALLY well. He's got great distance, he got great accuracy but his attack is always the same. It's a cross-hook, a cross, or a kick and a cross. And when you push him he always moves to the same side. So if Dan would look at that and just bullrushes him, he knows he's gonna end him up *points* there. Just throw a big hand there and that could stop him."

and also

"What I of course mean is "Machida doesn't USE a lot of weapons." I have been saying this on Inside MMA for many years each time before his fight; he doesn't USE a lot of weapons," Rutten wrote.

Archived