UFC 157: 'Rousey vs Carmouche'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Her cardiologists would probably deem it unsafe to use anabolic steroids too, but that didn't stop her giving them a whirl.

That makes it okay then.

Not particularly, my point was more than I fail to have any sympathy for her. She looked the way she did for years, everyone suspected something was up, then she got busted for drugs, put her whole career into question, and now people talk as if she's somehow the victim. Fuck her. If she hadn't been doping she would've still been the 145 Strikeforce Champion when they merged the brands and they may have addressed the issue of having two women's champions at the time. It's her own fault that she's been left out in the cold, with Ronda getting all the backing. Plus, if you really want women's MMA to succeed, I'd take the Olympic medal winner over the proven drugs cheat as the face of it any day of the week.

Anyway, the PrimeTime was fucking great. Both women came across brilliantly and that story about Ronda's dad is absolutely heartbreaking. Ronda's great.

The UFC didn't do this, most likely because they figure that there's a very good fucking chance that Cyborg beats Rousey, and beats her really bad, damaging her marketability and flushing the money down the toilet.

I still think Rousey takes that fight. Her grappling technique is absolutely spot on. Everyone seems to think she's a one trick pony with just a decent armbar but I've saw videos of her training with men and slapping on a shitload of other submissions with ease. Against a non juiced Cyborg Id bet on Rousey by sub within the first 2 rounds.

Liz Carmouche was really likeable on UFC 157 Primetime: Rousey vs. Carmouche and that continues with this tweet by her:

How was UFC prime time? I don't have cable.

I've followed Liz on Twitter for some time (and from quite a bit before this fight was announced) and she's a really nice, lovely person. She even favourited one of my Tweets at one point!

• Paid Members

Shit, what happened here? 5 pages already.

I read the comments underneath the article someone posted that Meltzer wrote, the one that Dana got angry at about the women's fight not being likely to draw. There are some proper cunts on there, talking about how it won't be interesting and that they'll probably switch off right before. Rousey sounds like a great asset for UFC, so I hope the PPV does good numbers. From what I've seen so far, MMA harcore fans are a bigger bunch of turds than RoHbots.

Right miserable bunch, some of them.

Come on, we're alright here.

Carbomb, you made the cardinal mistake of scrolling down on MMA articles. Never...scroll down. I used to always look at the comments sections out of habit and it would always be filled with complete dribblers spouting absolute bollocks. I've knocked reading the comments on the head now, as soon as I've read the article I move on. It's done wonders for my forehead now I'm not constantly banging it against my wall at the stupidity.

Ronda is a moderately attractive woman at best however when put in the class of women's MMA fighters she looks way more attractive than she is due to the unattractiveness of a large percentage of them and that creates attention because people don't expect to see attractive girls fighting.

...she's less attractive than say Gina Carano and no more attractive than say Miesha Tate

I get that it's all opinions but I'd take Ronda over either of them myself. Not that I'd kick the others out of bed but I wouldn't crawl over Ronda to get to them put it that way. It's nothing to do with comparing her to other women fighters for me either. She could work in Lidl for all I care.

The fact you've easily named two other attractive fighters should tell you it's not just a case of people saying she's fit because the rest are manky. You also have Marloes Coenen, Michelle Waterson and the 3 girls who aren't Gina Carano in my sig. There's some fit up and coming fighters as well in the women's divisions.

It's not like they all look like Harry Redknapp is it.

Seriously Wand, add a "not interested" option to that main event and lets see what kind reaction it gets.

I would but I've used up all my poll options. I couldn't add a "can't be arsed" option without deleting one of the others. And judging by the way the conversation has gone on here it would be pretty much just you and Jonny Vegas voting "not interested".

I'd still have added it if I could just out of interest, but I'm out of room in the poll.

I think the women's class will grow deeper the next few years.

It will. You have Invicta which is doing a great job as a breeding ground for women fighters. There are some good fighters out there and if the UFC stays on board with it for a bit I'm sure you'll see more women getting into the sport because they'll have a big stage to work towards.

I still think Rousey takes that fight. Her grappling technique is absolutely spot on. Everyone seems to think she's a one trick pony with just a decent armbar but I've saw videos of her training with men and slapping on a shitload of other submissions with ease. Against a non juiced Cyborg Id bet on Rousey by sub within the first 2 rounds.

Yeah, Ronda's more than just armbars. Obviously, as we've said, most of her fights have been short so we can't guage a lot from them. Training footage of Ronda is where I've been probably even more impressed with her than in her fights to be honest.

That piece Showtime did before the Kaufman fight showed a glimpse of her training, and there's footage out there of her training with the Armenian team she works with and she's throwing men about. And of course the training she's done with the Diaz's which is easy to find online.

She's a beast. And I think people underestimate her as just a pretty face with armbars. You don't get to the level she has in Judo without serious hard work, dedication and talent.

I've followed Liz on Twitter for some time (and from quite a bit before this fight was announced) and she's a really nice, lovely person. She even favourited one of my Tweets at one point!

Yeah, I feel bad for the Faber jibes. She's always come across as a nice girl. Almost too nice for MMA in some ways. And I agree she's being overlooked.

The Coenen fight is one of my favourite womens fights to date. That's where Liz really made a fan out of me. She's pretty well rounded and she's a scrapper. Then again we all said all this about Kaufman and she didn't even last a minute. I do think Ronda will win but I wouldn't be hugely shocked if Liz fucked plans up.

One last point;

People are assuming that if Ronda loses then Dana will just sod off the womens division. But how bad would that look? They would then have their first openly gay champion in UFC history and they say "no we don't like this, go and find somewhere else to work love". Surely that would open them up to all kinds of backlash from the gay rights lot.

To be fair to Dana, he has been honest that he's in this because of Ronda. But he's been asked a few times 'what happens if Ronda loses?' and he usually says something like 'well then Liz is the champion and she'll fight the next contender'. He's also said Joe Silva and Sean Shelby are currently scouting female talent for the division and have been in contact with a bunch of them.

It's not like there's no plans at all for the division.

• Paid Members

Here we go. Manny Gamburyan's out of the fight with Chad Mendes. Broken thumb and fractured elbow. I was looking forward to that fight as well.

No word yet on if Mendes will stay on the card and fight a replacement or if the fight will be scratched altogether and a prelim get bumped up to PPV. If it's the latter I wouldn't mind seeing Schaub getting belted by the Big Johnson on the main card.

Archived