Bret shoots on Triple H

Fatty Facesitter

Yeah, there's something in that comment actually. Triple H became great through being pushed I'd say, rather than being so good it insisted it. But so have loads of others. Your Brets, Shawns, Eddies eventually got pushed because they simply were that good.

I think that's possibly a more interesting discussion point actually. And Triple H would be an interesting one, because he became really good, really quickly once he was thrust into the main event. So maybe he was always that good, I don't know.

It's also worth noting the guys that Triple H was working with in his best matches. When you're working with talent like that a good wrestler can look like a great wrestler.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

People love to use that one to take some credit away from the guys they don't like so much. I don't think that's a fair assessment of Triple H though. One example I always think of when people use that example is Summerslam 2000, he had to deal with a completely out of it Kurt Angle and you can see that it's him holding the match together and he does a wonderful job if it too. Triple H has definitely evolved into a great wrestler.

• Paid Members

Triple H is a great example of someone becoming great through hard work, discipline and study, rather than natural genius. He's spent years learning his craft and honing it. His early years he may have been pushed a bit beyond his abilities, but there's no way that's true from '99 onwards. He got where he was through merit.

• Paid Members

See, I used to be like that as well, but when did he actually start throwing it up Stephanie? Because I'm pretty certain he was already on his way up way before they got together.

• Paid Members

Whether there was any merit to it I'm not sure but Fin Martin was constantly going on about how Triple H had been politicking himself to the top like a master in 1999/2000 and that was pre-Steph.

He was definitely not ready when they initially pushed him as part of the Corporation, I remember it being reported Austin didn't really want to work with him either, but he was the lesser evil than Jarrett (again, that might be Fin Martin bollocks). Regardless, he grew with the push and by the end of 2000, he was the man.

While we're talking Triple H, my absolute favourite match of his is vs Michaels at Taboo Tuesday where Michaels was legit injured the night before and having being voted in, went out there and wrestled. The way the both of them worked around that was an absolute masterclass. Michaels takes pretty much one bump all match.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xk45rh_ta...rt#.UQ69gh28li0

• Paid Members
It's also worth noting the guys that Triple H was working with in his best matches. When you're working with talent like that a good wrestler can look like a great wrestler.

That's a bollocks point. Triple H had loads of matches with "average" workers that were great bouts. His match with The Undertaker at Mania 17 was every bit a classic. That match came at a time when Taker was having stinkers with everyone. Pick out another great Taker match from his return in 2000 until about Mania 18.

His WWF title defence v Rikishi was arguably (as pointed out earlier in this thread) the best TV main event ever. I doubt there is a better Rikishi match out there. His match with Taka was every bit as good as the much lauded Bret v 123 Kid. My favourite WWF/E match of all time is HHH V The Rock at Backlash. I know The Rock is a great worker, but its takes two to tango. The match at Summerslam 2000 is an excellent example of Triple H carrying a match. As is Taboo Tuesday against a one legged HBK.

It's not like Bret had shit to work with. You could flip your comment right back onto Bret. Who were the guys Bret was working with in his better matches? Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, Curt Hennig, Owen Hart, Sean Waltman. Hardly a list of people who drag a match down. "When you're working with talent like that a good wrestler can look like a great wrestler."

• Paid Members
His WWF title defence v Rikishi was arguably (as pointed out earlier in this thread) the best TV main event ever. I doubt there is a better Rikishi match out there.

Rikishi vs The Rock, Survivor Series 2000 was a better match. Rikishi was hardly some fat shit that needed to be carried, he had plenty of good matches.

• Paid Members

Going right back to the original point of discussion- what the fuck is Bret playing at making these comments anyway? His dislike of Triple H has never been a secret, but now that he's back on good working terms with the company and making semi-regular TV appearances, why would he publicly talk so negatively about a guy who's in such a position of power? Now, I know Bret has never been one to kiss arses but these comments are ridiculous. He'll probably get the JR public humiliation treatment next time he turns up on TV and I won't be feeling sorry for the miserable bastard if he does.

Archived