Bret shoots on Triple H

Fatty Facesitter

HHH is what a wrestler *should* look like. The entrance, the physique, the intensity, cuts a good promo, and is a fucking evil heel. Pit five of Rey's best matches in WWE against five of HHH's best. HHH will obviously come out on top. None of Rey's matches come near the sheer brilliance of the Cactus Jack match at the Rumble. HHH is quite simply phenomenal.

That's an extremely narrow viewpoint though. Why just take their WWE careers into account? Rey was reinventing high-flying wrestling with Juvi in Mexico in 1994, main eventing shows and looking exactly like a luchador *should* look, while Terra Ryzing was jobbing in WCW...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HHH is what a wrestler *should* look like. The entrance, the physique, the intensity, cuts a good promo, and is a fucking evil heel. Pit five of Rey's best matches in WWE against five of HHH's best. HHH will obviously come out on top. None of Rey's matches come near the sheer brilliance of the Cactus Jack match at the Rumble. HHH is quite simply phenomenal.

That's an extremely narrow viewpoint though. Why just take their WWE careers into account? Rey was reinventing high-flying wrestling with Juvi in Mexico in 1994, main eventing shows and looking exactly like a luchador *should* look, while Terra Ryzing was jobbing in WCW...

and Rey was jumping around with devil horns and a pair of dungarees whlst Triple H was doing one of the finest heel runs in professional wrestling history. The point is, HHH has been primarily one of WWE's top calibre stars since the end of 99. Rey, talented as he is, has never really been regarded as one of the main guys on the roster. Let's be honest, you can't compare Mexico to the big leagues of the WWE, can you?

• Paid Members

and Rey was jumping around with devil horns and a pair of dungarees whlst Triple H was doing one of the finest heel runs in professional wrestling history. The point is, HHH has been primarily one of WWE's top calibre stars since the end of 99. Rey, talented as he is, has never really been regarded as one of the main guys on the roster. Let's be honest, you can't compare Mexico to the big leagues of the WWE, can you?

Rey has definately been one of the main guys in the roster, especially after Eddie died, Rey managed to make most things work, but Hunter is obviously his better.

B) Specifically Brets matches being predictable, routine and the majority of his matches being very similar. I don't think that could be any further from the truth and anyone who genuinely thinks and believes that doesn't understand wrestling in the slightest in my opinion. That, or you're a robot or something with no concept of emotion or psychology and just see and recognise moves.

Fair enough. Perhaps my memory is very foggy then. I remember a lot of Bret Hart matches being similar in structure, but this was (a) very early in my fandom, (b) a lot of what i saw were from free tv matches at te time and © a lot of his matches i saw were from 16 odd years ago.

I'm still of the opinion that Bret is wrong about Triple H being predictable etc, and that his opinion was surprising to me since he himself was often criticised for similar things by vocal (and possibly a minority) of fans. Right or wrong. In fact didn't Flair throw a similar criticism towards Hart in his autobiography?

Arda Ocal of The Score Television Network, Baltimore Sun and Layfield Report spoke with former WWE Superstar Bret "Hitman" Hart after his recent comments about Triple H made news.

In the interview, Ocal asks what he makes of these comments gaining a large amount of attention. Hart stands his ground, even goes further with his stance:

- Gives Triple H vs Undertaker a grade: "I said I'd give (Taker vs HHH at WrestleMania 28) a 4-out-of-10. I think that was generous." and goes on to explain why

- "I wouldn't put him in the top 1000 great wrestlers. To me he was very mediocre."

Yes, I think he's lost the plot.

Punk is innovative but only in the way that he's made it in the big leagues and has managed to do stuff there you only previously saw in the indies.

I do think Triple H had some great matches, and like some other people have said, his match with Foley at RR '00 is one of the best.

Too much is made of this idea that "the marks are now the wrestlers". I really like CM Punk. Alright, his Randy Savage elbow drop is an absolute disgrace but I agree with Bret when he says that he appreciates all the nuanced references to wrestlers of old that Punk often incorporates into his act. It's no worse than Triple H falling over himself at the sight of Ric Flair or Big Show blubbing like a giant baby when Hulk Hogan was inducted into the Hall of Fame. There's a difference between the way Punk conducts his affairs and the way someone like Zack Ryder does, who legitimately comes across as a fan who cannot believe his luck about getting to play wrestler.

• Moderators
Too much is made of this idea that "the marks are now the wrestlers". I really like CM Punk. Alright, his Randy Savage elbow drop is an absolute disgrace but I agree with Bret when he says that he appreciates all the nuanced references to wrestlers of old that Punk often incorporates into his act. It's no worse than... Big Show blubbing like a giant baby when Hulk Hogan was inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Erm, it's far worse. If not for Hulk Hogan, there's no long career, big house and stardom for The Big Show. And Punk gets to play wrestler.

It's completely different.

• Paid Members

Ric Flair managed Triple H for years as well. They went to each others weddings and hung out on the road every night for years. Punk didn't even meet Randy Savage, and now the announcers dont say its a tribute when he drops that shitty elbow drop. I dont care if he thieves Kenta's finisher or when he used to do the Shining Wizard and Eddie Guerrero's senton. Even doing a rotten elbow is alright. Just the pointing to the sky followed by a piss poor elbow drop is unsettling. Especially if you want your wrestlers to be larger than life. Get your own shit.

Too much is made of this idea that "the marks are now the wrestlers". I really like CM Punk. Alright, his Randy Savage elbow drop is an absolute disgrace but I agree with Bret when he says that he appreciates all the nuanced references to wrestlers of old that Punk often incorporates into his act. It's no worse than Triple H falling over himself at the sight of Ric Flair or Big Show blubbing like a giant baby when Hulk Hogan was inducted into the Hall of Fame. There's a difference between the way Punk conducts his affairs and the way someone like Zack Ryder does, who legitimately comes across as a fan who cannot believe his luck about getting to play wrestler.

You'll never win in a debate about Punk on here. He's considered the cool wrestler that the internet fans love, so he's downplayed by most on here in an attempt to be "counter-cool".

Bring up the Big Boss Man or Haku or some other shit though and you'll win cool points.

David - I do not read the wrestling threads much these days. But in the case of Ian, I think he just calls it as he sees it from reading his posts in the past.

Really, if anyone was trying to be cool or "counter cool" on a wrestling forum, they would need to get a grip.

• Paid Members

Why is it that if anyone doesn't bum CM Punk, it's because they are trying to be 'counter-cool' or anti-smart mark? It's this exact attitude from Punk's fans that puts so many people off the guy. What if some people just don't enjoy everything he does and aren't completely blinkered to his faults?

Archived