Bloody Brilliant Badass Film Title Themes!

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

A Night At The Roxbury starts fantastically. Hits you like a euphoric wave of nostalgia and you can almost smell the stench on your fingers from a successful night at the local youth club.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Been (trying/failing to) introduce my daughter to the Indiana Jones films this week, and I've only really just taken in how good the score is throughout, with all the variations of the themes, layering them over each other, and introducing bits of main melodies early on from pieces that will appear later in the film (for example, when Indy's sulking because Marion's been killed, there's elements of the tune from when the angel turns nasty mixed in there).

I would link, but the copyright police seem to be all over it on YouTube.

Something else I watched this week had a typically great James Horner soundtrack, but I can't remember what it was. It was similar to his work on Krull though, which is also great, so here's that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr4pXUSRxNM

• Awards Moderator
- The theme music along with Django puling the coffin through the dirt got me interested in the film from the start.

Just watched Django this week and downloaded the soundtrack immediately. Whether you like his films or not, Tarantino sure does pick awesome music.

• Paid Members
Been (trying/failing to) introduce my daughter to the Indiana Jones films this week, and I've only really just taken in how good the score is throughout, with all the variations of the themes, layering them over each other, and introducing bits of main melodies early on from pieces that will appear later in the film (for example, when Indy's sulking because Marion's been killed, there's elements of the tune from when the angel turns nasty mixed in there).

I'm a big fan of soundtracks that take a piece of well known theme music and 'remix' it like you get with Indiana Jones and James Bond as well depending on where they are in the world. Sets a nice atmosphere.

• Paid Members

Yes. It's much harder to do it when you're dealing with just one film. Lalo Schifrin basically uses two or three of the same tunes over the Dirty Harry films for their incidental music and changes them up a little bit each time.

My favourite theme of the series is Magnum Force:-

The way it build to something more dramatic and sinister at the start is fantastic. Great use of "AAAAHHHH!"s as well!

• 1 month later...

Me and the wife were saying the other day that the art of a cinematic theme really is a lost art these days. Theres just nothing memorable. Take a tune like something from Star Wars, you'd be heard pressed to find someone who doesn't know it. Ask me to whistle the tune to Avatar (the biggest grossing film of all time), no chance.

Dev, don't know if you caught it on 6Music today but their Sound Of Cinema season kicked off with this beauty

David Arnold talks about what makes a great score.. A thoroughly entertaining hour.

Speaking of the BBC Sound of Cinema, which has been great to listen to so far, this is the shortlist for favourite soundtrack of all time:

Apocalypse Now

Billy Elliot

Bombay

The Dark Knight Rises (yes, Hans Zimmer! I know)

Django Unchained

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Grease

Lawrence Of Arabia

Mary Poppins

Planet Of The Apes

Psycho

Sholay

The Sound Of Music

Star Wars

There Will Be Blood

The Third Man

Vertigo

West Side Story

the Wizard Of Oz

8 1/2

• Paid Members

I watched the original Cape Fear last night, complete with a Herrmann score. His scoring always puts me on edge when I watch films and the way the theme starts blaring at you the moment the film starts is a fantastic start to a really nervewracking film.

Archived