Bloody Brilliant Badass Film Title Themes!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Are we largely agreed that the 1970s had the best theme tunes, then? Good.

- this is brilliant, the way it suddenly just bursts into life. Quite similar to The Taking Of Pelham 123.

- another crime thriller with an awesome car chase and another fantastic theme from Don Ellis.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
I know John Williams is a little obvious for this thread, but fuck it, the Jurrasic Park theme is so bloody good I'm putting it here.

It's all about the

scene, surely one of the greatest moments in cinema history.

Perfect direction, perfect acting, great CGI that still holds up, and the perfect music. It never fails to give me goosbumps.

I mentioned him, and this piece, too, so yes, agreed on all counts.

• Moderators

Amazing song for an amazing film. One of my favourite films. A film that has it all. A film that has a mute mentally challenged girl (due getting her shit raped in Death Wish I) getting raped by Laurence Fishburne and then jumping 50ft onto spikes and makes PAUL FUCKING KERSEY get the red mist and get fucking even.

• Moderators
Bear in mind I am the one UKFFer that loves the song Skyfall.

Nah, add me to that Brownie. Good theme, the intro sequence was fucking ace too.

. Giorgio Moroder at his very best, plus perhaps the greatest tag team of all-time nabbed it as well.

Giorgio is the shit. The whole of the Scarface sooundtrack is immense, too.

We've had a couple Blaxploitation film soundtracks mentioned but unless I've missed it I don't think Superfly has been mentioned. I love Curtis Mayfield and I think this is some of his best work -

A Couple other soundtracks of his that I have are

and
.. both good also, but I've not seen the films of either of those so it's hard to judge them properly like Superfly, but I imagine they work with the film just as brilliantly.

• Paid Members

Some of his stuff from his version of "Metropolis" is quite good too. Don't know if there is sound in these videos. Sound is absolutely f*cked in this PC. Here are the links..

Here is a cracker of an orchestral theme from the John Hurt film, "Champions" about jockey Bob Champion. Used in various BBC1 Grand National montages...

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Echoing the love for "For A Few Dollars More" - it's definitely the best Morricone theme, and the others are not far behind. TGTBTU is definitely more anthemic and recognisable, but there's just something about FAFDM that fits the whole Western aesthetic (not just the Spaghettis) perfectly. The long, sustained notes of the whistling coupled with the Jew's harp - if I was walking through landscapes like those, that track would be playing in my head. I can almost feel the beating sun, the parched throat, the unshaven face and the dust on the skin.

• Paid Members

Mother fucking Beetlejuice

Danny Elfman is mostly terrible but when he get's it right the result is truly spectacular.

And this is my favorite Batman theme. It's from Mask Of The Phatasm but incoporates Elfman's original theme into something really special, scary, exciting and tragic.

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Watched Drive for the first time the other day, so had to dig this thread out to nominate the opening title theme for the film. I've had a Breakbot remix of Kavinsky's Nightcall for a couple of years now and really like it but this is the first time I've heard the original. It fits perfectly into the opening credits as well, following a very good opening scene that sets the film up nicely. The song is beautiful 80s-inspired synth-pop (co-produced by Daft Punk's Guy Manuel de Homem Christo no less) and features vocals from CSS's lead singer Lovefoxxx. I love her voice.

That opening music was great, but a lot of the other music choices just didn't really work, as Gladders says. A curate's egg, that film.

Archived