Alternative break up songs

Herne's Son

Obviously I'm not talking stuff like "I will survive" by Gloria Gaynor but what are some songs that will get you through a break up which most people might not be able to understand? Or some of the more alternative variety like Metal or Hip Hop which may not sound like a break up song on first listen untill you really hear all the lyrics.

Not sure about the rest of you but when I go through a break up with someone I loved I start to question my whole life and my goals for the future, so not just love songs end up being on repeat but sometimes songs which get me fired up to hit the gym, change my life or work harder.

Some that spring to mind

Guns n Rose - Dust and Bones - Always makes me think woman aren't worth getting so invested in, particularly the line "some times these women seem to rip you right in two, only if you let them get to you"

Lynyrd Skynrd - Simple Man - Not sure on this one but it makes me feel stronger and more clear headed

The Offspring - Dirty Magic - Great song which just makes me feel better

Fleetwood Mac - The Chain - Not sure if this is recognised as a break up song but the lyrics sound that way and it helps get me thinking about moving on.

Joan Jett -Hate Myself for Loving you - More of an obvious one, but it sure is great to sing to yourself.

Let me hear some other peoples thoughts, and if this thread has been done before sorry....

• Awards Moderator

'She Fucking Hates Me' by Puddle of Mudd.

No?

Okay then... don't know how alternative this is, but The Beatles were the soundtrack to the break-up with my Big Ex three-and-a-bit years ago. I remember hearing 'Yesterday' on the radio about a week after and it basically smacked me in the face and got through to me in a way it never had up to that point. 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' was played a lot during the phase when I hadn't yet realised she had always been incredibly wrong for me.. then I'd go over to The Boss Side, get the Springsteen out and have 'Out In The Street' on repeat because there's just something inherent in that song that makes me happy for what I have. Thank God we did break-up, mind - I didn't realise until a few months later, but I was way better off being well out of it.

• Paid Members

Not so much a track lising of sorts, but during my messy break up three years ago I made a concious effort not to listen to any love song, or anything closely resembling one, until I'd got myself together. It was a massive help. Also I didn't listen to any radio stations, which usually have a fair few.

I recall listening to a lot of AC/DC stuff around that time, minus 'you shook me all night long' obviously. Generally anything upbeat, fast paced and loud like Motorhead should do the job.

I honestly never realised that there were also men in this world who create break-up playlists. I thought that was a purely female thing and even then, I never saw the point. What benefit do you get from putting on a load of songs that remind you constantly why you feel so shit and lonely?

Which is why I prefer some metal or hip hop break up song to a slow ballad, I think any song that reflects how you are feeling can be help but in the case of a break up song I want to hear something which will make me feel better, hence why I said a lot of songs I listen to after a break up can be more to get me fired up and move on with life, perhaps I didn't explain so well in my first post, apologies.

No need to apologise, it's a discussion forum. And since my last post I've sort of realised that it might be helpful to some people to know that they're not alone in being alone, so it sort of makes sense after all, but I'm similar to Slick Dick up there. Avoid anything that reminds me of my sorrow and it might eventually go away.

I honestly never realised that there were also men in this world who create break-up playlists. I thought that was a purely female thing and even then, I never saw the point. What benefit do you get from putting on a load of songs that remind you constantly why you feel so shit and lonely?

Because wallowing is the best.

• Awards Moderator

Because wallowing is the best.

Damn straight.

• Awards Moderator

For ease, I think any time anyone asks a music-related question in future, I'll just wait for HG to post then copy and paste it as my own response. GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

Anyway, when me and my missus split up last year, which was absolutely the best thing for us and my mental health, I listened to Run Of The Mill and Isn't It A Pity by George Harrison, along with Mary Queen of Arkansas and She's The One by Springsteen. Lots. I'm aware I've posted about the first of each artist listed there in the recent music lyrics thread, but all four songs were perfect for feeling a bit sorry for myself whilst containing lines which focus on helping realise why I couldn't stay with my ex and that we would be happier not being together.

I went through something similar a couple of months ago and listened to those same ones but they evoked very different reactions, as if I wanted to appreciate them but couldn't allow myself to.

So I just got drunk for two months instead and listened to the most disassociated songs which couldn't possibly relate back to that evil, soul-destroying creature. Not the finest or proudest time of my life, but I can now listen to those same songs and appreciate that I've learnt from the experience despite is crippling me at the time.

Now I'd like to listen to them whilst running her over.

EDIT: also, Derek and the Dominos Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad? is a good one to blast out and sing like a divvie to.

• Moderators

First of all I immediately stop listening to anything that reminds me of said woman.

Second I find the best way to combat the feelings of "waaaaa" is to go lift some heavy weights at the gym, this requires the use of Motorhead/Fear Factory/etc.

Third, then listen to some harsh, but not super aggressive tunes. Post punk fits the bill nicely here. Gang of Four or some Clash.

Fourth, start listening to some music that just puts a smile on your face/gets you grooving. Anything pop/hiphop/dubstep related works a charm here.

• Paid Members

The gym defo worked for me in the past. Better than drink did anyway which is where I used to find my post-splitting up solace. As for songs, I was loving this when me and an ex split up...

Perfect. It's not depressing, sounds upbeat and offers sage advice as Ice Cube reminds regularly you not to wreck yo' self.

"Cause women like you gets no respect

Bitch, you better run a check"

Archived