Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

Loved Funk on Woo Nation.

The story about Manny Fernadez getting in a bar fight beating the guy up, then getting in his truck and running over the guys legs, but feeling like that was enough reversed over the guys legs again. He prefaces this by saying what a lovely guy he was.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Now I'm not saying this isn't true. Looking at Manny Fernandez it's quite believable. The fact he beat the guy to the point of not being able to move away from getting his legs run over twice with nobody getting involved and the police seemingly not called stretches it a bit.

But like they said full of nostalgia "you couldn't get away with that today.

Flairs great he has his opinions which he will defend and they're not filled with negativity.

• Paid Members

What makes Flair's podcast flow perfectly is that he just has a laugh, tells great stories, and brings out the best in his guests too. He has a great memory for cities & locations & specific incidents! "Remember in 1986, when Butch Reed was living in Boca Raton.... "
And the producer, Conrad, also makes sure it stays on track & only interjects when needed (unlike Alice Radley who doesn't STFU, and fake-laughs at everything Cornette says) - and he has good knowledge and a really soothing Southern accent - it's almost therapeutic - and he doesn't shout. So it's a perfect blend of interesting & just plain fun, whilst staying on track too! Thoroughly enjoyable.

The one I thought started off most awkward was Bret Hart, because he takes himself so seriously - and Flair was on a completely different buzz than him - but I think Bret somewhat loosened up halfway through and it got much better. Flair's laugh is infectious.

Edited by herbie747

Flair is so much more humble and likeable on his own podcast, it stuns me this is the same guy who came off so overbearing and obnoxious on those Legends Roundtable shows.

Anyway, just to drop this here rather than create a thread for it, the latest Squared Circle Gazette Radio is up, as we talk from January to March of 1997 in our Monday Night War Timeline. Accompanied as always by inside notes from the Wrestling Observer Newsletters of the time, the panel discusses all the key talking points such as the frantic state of the WWF Title, Thursday Raw Thursday, nWo Souled Out, the awesome story of Austin and Bret, Roddy Piper's tryouts, shoot promos galore, Sting finally reveals his true colours, and much more. With all the backstory behind the decision-making at the time, this was another really fun show - check it out and let me know what you think!

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/86ubgd/SCGRadio45-TheMondayNightWarin1997Q1.mp3

The biggest Simpsons meets wrestling fail will always be Meltzer commenting on the Hitman buying the mansion...

I want to formally announce that I am divorcing my previous favourite 'greatest moment ever' (in keeping with the Simpsons theme, that must be read in the voice of Comic Book Guy)........and confirm my intentions to commit myself fully to THIS moment.

• Paid Members

Flair is so much more humble and likeable on his own podcast, it stuns me this is the same guy who came off so overbearing and obnoxious on those Legends Roundtable shows.

Anyway, just to drop this here rather than create a thread for it, the latest Squared Circle Gazette Radio is up, as we talk from January to March of 1997 in our Monday Night War Timeline. Accompanied as always by inside notes from the Wrestling Observer Newsletters of the time, the panel discusses all the key talking points such as the frantic state of the WWF Title, Thursday Raw Thursday, nWo Souled Out, the awesome story of Austin and Bret, Roddy Piper's tryouts, shoot promos galore, Sting finally reveals his true colours, and much more. With all the backstory behind the decision-making at the time, this was another really fun show - check it out and let me know what you think!

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/86ubgd/SCGRadio45-TheMondayNightWarin1997Q1.mp3

Good timing as I was looking for something to listen too. I like the notes from the time as it's very intresting to hear the rumours and how things where received at the time. I was actually surprised at some of the matches that where getting the higher viewer ratings such as Malenko vs Eddie. It makes it harder to accept that they didn't do more with the cruiserweight a when the numbers even that early on showed they where a huge draw.

Thanks very much for listening! The MNW Timelines are among my favourite shows to do just for those little facts that get unearthed like you mention, or stuff like nWo merch being outsold after a few months, or the nWo hotline bombing, just feel it lends a different perspective than the two dimensional view even the Network docs provide.

• Paid Members

Piper has been dropped from Podcast One. He thinks Austin grassed him up, because Piper advertised Steve Austin and had Will Sasso doing an impression instead.

The popular theory that nobody listens to Piper's podcast and its never in the top 10 in its catagory is more believable.

• Paid Members

Great stuff from all involved on that one. I never knew that Sting/Savage/DDP/A.N. Other could have been the extra team at Uncensored (YAY!) instead of Piper, Jarrett and Mongo (ugh). At first I thought that would have been outstanding as I really thought there was legs in that "Sting and Savage - we don't know whose side they are on, but they're mates" thing they briefly ran before SuperBrawl, but realistically a 12-man eliminator doesn't really lend itself to the SUDDEN reveal to answer the question of "whose side is he/are they on" the way that Sting dropping in at the end of the match actually did. It's another superb bookend along with Fall Brawl 96 - the beginning and end of that part of Sting's story were both awesome. The story behind the original plans for the Final Four was also really interesting, I had always assumed the concept was thrown together in the fallout from deciding not to have Hitman win the Rumble so was surprised to hear Shawn was originally meant to be in it.

Get a good kick out of some of the reactions to what was great and even more so for what was terrible. I think Chase is probably the one whose tastes might be closest to my own but I could listen to Karl kick off about what he hates all day long. Going to have to revisit the editions that pre-date my starting to listen, round about the best/worst Rumbles episode. As a man who watched every Raw of the 90s and has seen every Nitro from the start to the point analogue TNT went down, I bet there's loads in there that I don't actually know about and there's plenty of shit that I want to hear what you guys thought of it. (cough) Yeti (cough)

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Piper has been dropped from Podcast One. He thinks Austin grassed him up, because Piper advertised Steve Austin and had Will Sasso doing an impression instead.

The popular theory that nobody listens to Piper's podcast and its never in the top 10 in its catagory is more believable.

Good news. I tried Piper's podcast when he started it and actually persisted with it through a couple of episodes despite the fact that it was absolute unlistenable rubbish. Just garbled bullshit and growly noises spewing out of his head non-stop. It was unbearable. Because he's such a lunatic with so little credibility these days, you can't even take any enjoyment out of any of the old-time stories he tells, because you know he's forgotten the real story and is making something up instead. 

According to Piper at his one man show in Glasgow last year Ric Flair was involved in ribbing him backstage at the show he "blacked up" against Bad News Brown. I doubt Flair was cutting about backstage at said show since he was probably NWA champion at the time, never mind having laughs with the boys. But hey ho it could have happened, and that's the story Piper will continue to tell.

• Paid Members

I doubt Flair was cutting about backstage at said show since he was probably NWA champion at the time, never mind having laughs with the boys. But hey ho it could have happened, and that's the story Piper will continue to tell.

No probably about it. Flair was champ the entire first six months of 1990, until he dropped it at the Bash to Sting.

But yeah, there is a chance the NWA Champ was allowed backstage at WrestleMania VI in Toronto on 1st April 1990. Except he was working a matinee in Asheville and the evening show in Charlotte on that particular day :

http://thehistoryofwwe.com/wcw90.htm

Keep it up Roddy. Good stuff.